Texas To PAC-10 On Tuesday

Chip Brown at Orangebloods.com says that Texas will make its announcement to join the PAC-10 after the regents meeting on Tuesday:

Orangebloods.com

Yeah ESPN reporting the same thing. Makes sense for Texas since they don't want to actually be in a competitive conference like the SEC.

The PAC 10 will regret the day they let the cancer known as the University of Texas in it's ranks.

God help the Pac-10.

Hey it's better than them coming to the Big 10. I hope they do good in the Pac-10 so they never join the Big 10.

Agreed, but I have some friends who are Oregon fans. They deserve better.

But it's good because California and Texas are the largest high school football states besides Florida. I think it will become a pride thing in seeing who has the better players. I don't see very many Texas and California players transfer to either state.

I used to be indifferent to Texas until I started following Nebraska and hanging about these message boards (even through the NC, I didn't harbor anything against Texas... I mean, at least it wasn't the SEC). I don't think many people outside of Big-8 territory really understand how aptly put the word "cancer" is to describe Texas and their antics.

Actually, it's more than just orangebloods.com now. The lead columnist for the Austin American Statesman picked it up and if it wasn't good, he wouldn't have gone with it.

What I don't get was all the stuff about Texas and the Big 10. Purple Book Cat still hasn't backed off the party line that Texas was Big 10 bound. If indeed that was just smoke, what was the point? Where's the money trail?

Actually, it's more than just orangebloods.com now. The lead columnist for the Austin American Statesman picked it up and if it wasn't good, he wouldn't have gone with it.

What I don't get was all the stuff about Texas and the Big 10. Purple Book Cat still hasn't backed off the party line that Texas was Big 10 bound. If indeed that was just smoke, what was the point? Where's the money trail?

PBC has never said that Texas is Big Ten bound. There's not been one statement that resembles Chip Brown's six, no four, teams to the Pac Ten guarantees that keep getting whittled back. PBC has said that there have been discussions and nothing more. Chip Brown says that the Big XII was surprised at Nebraska going to the Big Ten. Equine excrement.

• Fire 1

PBC has never said that Texas is Big Ten bound. There's not been one statement that resembles Chip Brown's six, no four, teams to the Pac Ten guarantees that keep getting whittled back. PBC has said that there have been discussions and nothing more. Chip Brown says that the Big XII was surprised at Nebraska going to the Big Ten. Equine excrement.

Lol.

God help the Pac 10 over the next 10 years. This couldn't come at a worse time, when USC is taking a beating althetically. I only hope that Oregon, Stanford, or Cal can step up to put the Longhorns in their place. Otherwise Texas will take over that conference real quick.

When the old SWC was breaking up, the word was that Texas highly favored going to the Pac-10. I'd imagine that to still be the case, but I suspect that the SEC would make a big push for the Longhorns. Facts are facts, and the number of eyeballs that would be added to the SEC by Texas, the academic reputation, the sheer money, the recruiting territory - all of that would, I assume, make Texas a big draw for the SEC.

Having said that, I just don't see it. Texas would be facing (politically) Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee - the list goes on. A few of the schools can stand toe-to-toe with Texas as far as pushing their agendas. In the Pac-10, I see Texas quickly becoming the dominant member politically. USC won't be it for the next few years, and there isn't a single conference member that rates anywhere near Texas' level.

What would be interesting is where A&M lands. Everyone seems to feel that Texas and A&M are a package deal, and perhaps they are. But A&M seems a natural fit for the SEC.

In another thread I stated that don't be surprised to see Texas stay put as the anchor for a conference (i.e. revamped Big 12) in their region since they anchor that whole region. I still think that can happen and Texas is just enjoying all the love/coverage they are getting and the other remaining Big 12 schools sucking up to them right now.

If they do go Pac 10 here is what I would do:

West:

USC

UCLA

Cal

Stanford

Oregon

Oregon St.

Washington

Washington St.

East:

Arizona

Arizona St.

Oklahoma

Oklahoma St.

Colorado

Texas

Texas A&M/Texas Tech/Utah (2 of these 3 for 16 total)

If Texas A&M goes SEC then Texas Tech and Utah. Texas Tech becomes travel partner when teams visit Texas and Utah becomes travel partner when teams visit Colorado.

Utah may have some clout. They can bring travel partner to Colorado and also make it so state of Texas only adds 2 teams and conference doesn't start to sway everything Texas. I also don't think Texas Tech is a good fit for the Pac 10 and the Pac 10 only takes them if A&M says no and they have to take Tech as package with Texas. Will be interesting to see if Texas holds out for bringing A&M and Tech...Pac 10 already blocked Baylor.

I never thought I'd see Pac 10 go to 16 teams but I have to think that is preference of Texas as they are main player in the East (a mini conference of 8 teams). The championship is easy...rotates between the Rose Bowl and Jerry World.