ESPN poll - new rivalry

huKSer

IMHO a rivalry has to be a team that you play every year, so it would have to be a team closer to us than Ohio State...Iowa would be a good choice. If it was Ohio State, that would be like our rivalry with Oklahoma, it went to crap when we formed the Big 12 and didn't play them anymore. They were more concerned about their rivalry with Texas at that point. I am sure Ohio State considers other games more of a rivalry than they have with us.

I can't wait until the dust settles a little bit, and they start working on the 2011 schedule. I see Huskers.com has already cleared all the Big 12 games from the future schedules after this next season!:hellloooo

sorry, i'm pulling for a nebraska/penn state rivalry.

why? try the shattered dreams of an eleven-year-old boy...

i want to stab someone after i see that clip.

Agreed this is definitely the best possible rival.

We can't have OSU as our top rival because the have Michigan, and vice versa

Iowa hasn't really had any success aainst us, so it'd b kinda like the Colorado thing all over again, except Iowa doesn't even have one title

Penn State has a history with us, a similar level prestige as us, and really no main top rival

Iowa hasn't really had any success aainst us, so it'd b kinda like the Colorado thing all over again, except Iowa doesn't even have one title

Penn State has a history with us, a similar level prestige as us, and really no main top rival

Don't know for sure, but 1958 Iowa shared the national title or some such thing. One poster seemed pretty proud of it.

IMHO a rivalry has to be a team that you play every year, so it would have to be a team closer to us than Ohio State...Iowa would be a good choice. If it was Ohio State, that would be like our rivalry with Oklahoma, it went to crap when we formed the Big 12 and didn't play them anymore. They were more concerned about their rivalry with Texas at that point. I am sure Ohio State considers other games more of a rivalry than they have with us.

I can't wait until the dust settles a little bit, and they start working on the 2011 schedule. I see Huskers.com has already cleared all the Big 12 games from the future schedules after this next season!:hellloooo

Talk to me in 20 years about who will be rivals with NU aka OS with MU and OU with tU. As opposed to our rival aka CU to NU, and NU to OU. The door must swing both ways. Cross the streams.

It's hard to say who will be the rival since they won't commit to what the divisions will be. The said their criteria is competitive balance first, current rivalries second and geography 3rd. Seems like they may not just go an east and west.

Sounds like they might try to split up PSU from OSU and UM. Problem is many PSU fans view OSU as their rival.

Or they are stating that in preparation of putting the coveted Notre Dame in with Nebraska, Wisky, Iowa, etc....

I highly doubt NU and OSU will be in the same division.

Don't know for sure, but 1958 Iowa shared the national title or some such thing. One poster seemed pretty proud of it.

They finished second in both the AP and Coaches' Polls. They were, however, named the national champs by the Football Writers Association. But when people talk about national champions before the BCS, they refer to the AP and Coaches'Polls, so in 1958, LSU was the national champion. But Iowa likes to say that they won a national title. but we all know they didn't.

Ya'll been tellin me for years that you cannot manufacture a rivalry...lol

Completely agreed.

This whole "pick our new rival" thing is a bunch of crap. You don't just choose who you want to have a rivalry with. Rivalries are usually either based on shared dislike for each other (most rivalries) or shared respect for each other WHILE competitive games are being played (NU vs OU).

Whoever our new rival(s) will be, that will be decided in time. A fanbase can pick who they want to dislike, but it's pretty hard to pick a team to have a reciprocal, respectful rivalry with. We didn't choose to have that rivalry with Oklahoma. After years and years of the Big 8 being decided on the last game of the season between the two teams, the natural rivalry is born.

Most people on this board want one of these respectful rivalries, but it's near impossible to just invent it. Once the yearly NU/PSU Black Friday game settles our division, then we'll have it. Or maybe it's the Iowa game that will always have an impact on our season. Who knows. But to think that we can just create that kind of passion between two fanbases with minimal history is absurd.

Ya'll been tellin me for years that you cannot manufacture a rivalry...lol

Except this conference has in the past scheduled a protected or rivalry games into the schedule. Like what Nebraska wanted with OU. :) Might change with divisional play if they go that route.