Widespread Flooding

Many people in eastern Nebraska and western Iowa are dealing with flooding rivers. The Elkhorn river is one of the biggest issues. The Platte river is also causing problems. There are also many other spots where water is covering roads and highways and quickly getting worse. People are discovering water seeping out of the ground and flooding yards/properties/houses. We may not be in as much trouble as the poor folks in Arkansas, but it is definitely hitting close to home. Let's take some time to think about people around the country dealing with these natural disasters.

Is any place getting flooded that doesn't tend to get flooded every 2-4 years?

I know there's a few roads outside of Columbus that have been closed for a few days now, and the Platte is WAY higher than I have seen it in several, several years. For all intents and purposes it's a desert rather than a river for 95% of the year.

Is any place getting flooded that doesn't tend to get flooded every 2-4 years?

I know there's a few roads outside of Columbus that have been closed for a few days now, and the Platte is WAY higher than I have seen it in several, several years. For all intents and purposes it's a desert rather than a river for 95% of the year.

Seconded on the Platte. The city streets were flooding too during the storms.

We crossed the Platte south of Fremont yesterday. I've gone over that bridge 500 times, easy, and the river was the highest I remember seeing it. We even made sure we left for home during daylight so we could see when we crossed it, in case something happened. It was over the banks on the northwest side of the bridge last night (not uncommon - that's a low area), but it looked like it was heading higher.

The other thing was how fast the water was moving. It was plowing through the sandbars that have been around for decades, causing huge swells, with tons of force. I'm betting the landscape of the river is significantly changed in the next couple of weeks. Sandbars that have been around for decades will be changed.