midwest recruits

i am just wondering now that we have offiically joined the big 10(was it quick)that maybe we can grab some kids for the chicago area, or midwest . its got to help i am to believe, hope my wisdom is correct, and would be nice if we could get a couple 4 star guys from the chicago area....sort of tough recruiting that area, with all the schools in close proximity...just wonder if there are any prospects eyeing us from that area....seems like we should get some kids from the detroit area, but its be dry as a bone yet

We've definitely been tapping into the Chicago area lately, mostly thanks to coach Sanders' ties. And we started getting into Ohio too, with Pelini's ties. We've already began, the move to the Big 10 should only help us more.

the 2011 class has started out nicely, hopefully it continues..if nu can have the year many believe they will have, it should bring in possibly one of the better classes for some time. you think nu might go after another qb...or will one be the limit.....this kellog guy at qb...what is the story on him?

Ironic that ronsss would ask about RON Kellogg. Ron is a walk-on from Omaha Westside. He's got good bloodlines as his dad was a star basketball player for KU back in the day. Anyway, Ron redshirted last year and captained the scout team. I believe he won scout team offensive MVP.

ha, ha,...joke on me......sort of nice to see a walk-on stir up the pot, they have an incentive to show the coaches, hey i am pretty good too. there have been walk-ons that have ended up starters. here are some from the past-

Jeff and Joel Makovicka , followed by I.M. Hipp , Jared Tomich , Langston Coleman, Brandon Rigoni and Jarvis Redwine . those guys are from a few years back, but made a name for themselves.

we need to get the husker machine rolling before you hit the big 10, because wisconsin and iowa believe they are going to do us in...i have other thoughts on that, espcially if our defense keeps up the great work...defenses wins national titles,offense sells tickets.

i am just wondering now that we have offiically joined the big 10(was it quick)that maybe we can grab some kids for the chicago area, or midwest . its got to help i am to believe, hope my wisdom is correct, and would be nice if we could get a couple 4 star guys from the chicago area....sort of tough recruiting that area, with all the schools in close proximity...just wonder if there are any prospects eyeing us from that area....seems like we should get some kids from the detroit area, but its be dry as a bone yet

We will definatly see some interest pick up through big 10 country, plus the big 10 really hits florida hard on the recruiting trail so expect that state to become a priority too, eespecially with coach beck.

If Texas big six stay at 10 and they play each other I think we do very well in the next few years. Kansas and Tigers will not finish higher then four most likly 5th and 6 place finish yearly which will kill there recruiting in thier home states. Lower bowl games and no hope of a BCS game. :cheers:thumbs:clap

If Texas big six stay at 10 and they play each other I think we do very well in the next few years. Kansas and Tigers will not finish higher then four most likly 5th and 6 place finish yearly which will kill there recruiting in thier home states. Lower bowl games and no hope of a BCS game. :cheers:thumbs:clap

i think we can't lose the texas connection as texas kids bring a certain something i believe that isn't widely seen in the big ten.... we maintain texas and venture out a little more into other regions but i think honeslty our recruting will remain the same for the most part...... its getting to be (hopefully) that kids wont care who nebraska plays or where they are or what the weather is like.. kids will just want to come here.....

:horns2

i think we can't lose the texas connection as texas kids bring a certain something i believe that isn't widely seen in the big ten.... we maintain texas and venture out a little more into other regions but i think honeslty our recruting will remain the same for the most part...... its getting to be (hopefully) that kids wont care who nebraska plays or where they are or what the weather is like.. kids will just want to come here.....

I hope you're right. Instead of being one of the northern most schools in a relatively warm weather conference, we will be one of the southern most schools in a cool weather conference. In 2010, there were approximately 30 more 4 and 5 star prospects in Big 12 states than in Big 10 states. Looking at the state rankings for both conferences in 2010, the best prospects in the Big 12 states tended to stay within the conference. The best prospects in the Big 10 states tended to branch out more. California has been pretty good to us, but the Big 10 hasn't gotten many Cali kids to commit to them in the last several years.

Of course, it is all relative as well. While Ohio State is a recruiting juggernaut and Michigan and Penn State aren't too far behind, the rest of the conference hasn't recruited consistently as well as Nebraska over the last several years. I think our recruiting can drop off some and we can still be firmly at the head of the pack of the second tier of Big 10 schools. Perhaps being one of the southern most states in the conference will work in our favor. I guess we'll just have to see how everything plays out. Perhaps our coaches will surprise me and we won't see much of a drop off at all. Perhaps we will see a resurgence of effective recruiting in New Jersey and Florida (a surprising number of Florida kids head to Big 10 schools). As of now though, I am a bit concerned.

Double post.