Berry Tramel: OU needs to keep NU on its schedule

Big 12 football is taking a reputation hit across America. Deserved or not. Texas, which already had dumbed-down its non-conference schedule, is being branded a coward for producing a conference void of its second-biggest threat and void of a championship game.

Oklahoma, and every other Big 12 squad, will be drafted into such ill repute.

Such distinction is hard to overcome. There's one easy way for the Sooners to dismiss such talk.

Schedule Nebraska.

The Cornhuskers are available, though no word on if they're willing. Nebraska's jump to the Big Ten frees the Sooners and the Huskers from the confines of the Big 12 schedule, which pitted the Big Reds on the same gridiron just twice every four years.

Renewing old acquaintance on a frozen November field seems like a suicide mission for both programs.

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione was none too promising a few days ago, when he said, "Given our current schedule, I don't see a place for them for 10-12 years."

Castiglione referred to the Sooners' ambitious non-conference schedule. Florida State and Cincinnati this September. Florida State in 2011. Notre Dame and TCU in 2012. Notre Dame in 2013. Tennessee in 2014 and 2015. Ohio State in 2016 and 2017. LSU in 2018 and 2019.

No one will indict OU's non-conference schedule anytime soon.

But OU's overall schedule? That's another story.

The Sooners no longer have the carrot of a Big 12 title game, which provided a prestigious stage if not a challenging foe. It gave the Big 12 a much-needed platform against other high-profile shootouts the first week of December.

But also lost to the Sooners are road trips to Colorado and Nebraska. Bob Stoops has a losing record in only three Big 12 stadiums; Folsom Field and Nebraska's Memorial Stadium are two of the three (Tech's Jones Stadium is the other).

Despite adding a conference game, OU's overall schedule will appear to be weaker and will be weaker. National pundits will stand sentry to point it out, particularly when the Pac-10 and Big Ten have added championship games.

Schedule an annual non-conference series with Nebraska, and all that talk goes away.

In fact, the Sooners would become the new Southern Cal. A program showing itself willing to play anyone anywhere anytime. Nebraska and Florida State in the same season? Nebraska and Ohio State?

No one would be talking about trips to Ames and Lawrence. Or the lack of a championship game. The Sooners would be the baddest dudes in college football.

Would Nebraska be interested? Well, Nebraskans always are interested in Oklahoma.

It would take a leap of faith by the Huskers, too, because while Nebraska seems headed for annual games against Penn State, Iowa and maybe Michigan, the Huskers also have scheduled solidly in non-conference.

Fresno State, Washington, at Wyoming in 2011. Southern Miss and at UCLA in 2012. Wyoming, at Southern Miss, UCLA in 2013. Miami, at Fresno State in 2014. At Miami, Southern Miss in 2015. Fresno State, Tennessee, Wyoming in 2016. At Tennessee 2017.

Pretty good schedule. So the Huskers might be hesitant to renew the series.

But Castiglione has a proposal that might entice Nebraska.

Put some teeth back into the BCS formula. Scrap the polls, or gut their power. The BCS took away the strength-of-schedule component seven years ago and let the polls determine the national title matchup. Computers basically are used as a tiebreaker.

The problem is pollsters always have been cattle. No thinking for themselves. Just follow convention. A team that loses to Alabama is penalized; a team that beats Vanderbilt is rewarded.

The AP poll was bad enough. But it was by far the superior ranking. Coaches' votes are ridiculous, ripe not so much with bias as ignorance. The Harris poll, the ultimate good-ol'-boy network, is worse.

Cut the power of the polls and watch non-conference scheduling improve. Give teams incentive to play games that mean something and they will be played.

Castiglione said if strength-of-schedule returns to the BCS formula, he would entertain the idea of scheduling Nebraska.

OU-NU on Thanksgiving weekend would restore lost luster to the Big 12. The conference could put Bedlam the first Saturday of December, along with maybe Texas Tech-Texas. That would keep eyes on the Big 12 when other leagues stage their championship games.

Sure, an OU-NU game could derail a national championship bid. But it also could enhance the same.

And in years when Texas wins in Dallas, and the Sooner season seems to flirt with irrelevancy, a Nebraska showdown in late November would heal some wounds.

But OU-Nebraska will not happen without BCS adjustments. Gut the polls, and watch college football soar.

LINK

the sooners became just another conference opponent 15 years ago.

it was what they wanted. i see no reason to schedule them now that they

play in a crappy conference. the big 2 and little 8 have made their decisions

and we made ours....time to move on.

dedhoarse

dedhoarse

how bout we never play any of them ever again!!!!!!!! :sarcasm

dedhoarse

that would really be okay with me....i just never really considered many of the former

big 8 teams rivals other than ou obviuosly.

the most important thing abut playing kansas, to me anyways, was that it was always on the

first weekend of pheasant season, and easeier to get tickets when the game was played in

lincoln.

i just dont understand the appeal of playing teams that we have beaten 65 times, 85 times,

90 times, and 77 times.

thats what made me laugh so much when the ku prez wanted to keep the traditional rivalry

going.

I would love if we continued to play Oklahoma. While the rivalvry might not be what it once was they are still a quality opponent.

Truth be told I'd still like to play Texas too for no other reason than making up for the Solich/Callahan years. I can't WAIT for October 16th to get here. I want a chance to stuff the football down Texas's money hungry throat and fan base every chance possible.

dedhoarse

that would really be okay with me....i just never really considered many of the former

big 8 teams rivals other than ou obviuosly.

the most important thing abut playing kansas, to me anyways, was that it was always on the

first weekend of pheasant season, and easeier to get tickets when the game was played in

lincoln.

i just dont understand the appeal of playing teams that we have beaten 65 times, 85 times,

90 times, and 77 times.

thats what made me laugh so much when the ku prez wanted to keep the traditional rivalry

going.

i would actually enjoy playing some of these teams again...also i think that nebraska has been looking to get more game from teams close to nebraska to keep costs down on both sides...ie the wyoming deal, south dakota state, ball st, western michigan, southern illinois...i know they aren't super close but to me it makes sense to bring in some teams every year from close by on both sides of the deal...plus, who wouldn't want to see a game against turner gill...i know i want to see it this year(hate to see him lose though)...

i know we beat these team 30 some times in a row...still want to bring them around every once in a while...remember when we opened up the season with okie state...that game was exhilarating...don't really remember why...but i know it was awesome

if you ask me the big 12 made clear to us that they don't want us. As much as I hate to say it, we really don't know OU anymore. Not like wen I was young. And people around the conference and around the country have been trying to downplay the old rivalry for 15 yeaqrs. Well they got what they wanted. Time to let it go and build new rivalries. Look to the future now, not the past.

if you ask me the big 12 made clear to us that they don't want us. As much as I hate to say it, we really don't know OU anymore. Not like wen I was young. And people around the conference and around the country have been trying to downplay the old rivalry for 15 yeaqrs. Well they got what they wanted. Time to let it go and build new rivalries. Look to the future now, not the past.

this wyoming thing looks intriguing... :sarcasm