Lost Revenue

actually i believe we hold our own media rights according to the big12. that is why texass is going to be able to make their own network...

Correct. We own the rights to any game not picked up by ABC/ESPN or FSN. The money from PPV games in the past were all Nebraskas not one dime went to the big 12. The Big 10 said they would air a few NU games starting this year. PPV may be a thing of the past.

I saw somewhere that the PPV revenue actually went into the TV revenue pot last year and was split between all the teams in the conference. I think that moved NU down the list on revenue last year. Sorry can't remember where I saw that, maybe someone else saw that too.

IIR the Univ. gets the PPV money directly. So the share of the revenue went down, because less games were broadcast. But total revenue went up because they didn't share the PPV

Hmm, I wish I remembered where I read that, but it had also said that NU wasn't happy that they did it that way. Maybe it was on a board somewhere, but it seems like it was an article somewhere.

I wish we could just pull all of our games and put them on BTN to spite them for trying to gash us on the television revenues.

We COULD just not play on TV...then they'd have nothing to withhold :sarcasm<_<

I would actually be OK with that... if Lyell Bremser were still our radio announcer.

actually i believe we hold our own media rights according to the big12. that is why texass is going to be able to make their own network...

Correct. We own the rights to any game not picked up by ABC/ESPN or FSN. The money from PPV games in the past were all Nebraskas not one dime went to the big 12. The Big 10 said they would air a few NU games starting this year. PPV may be a thing of the past.

I saw somewhere that the PPV revenue actually went into the TV revenue pot last year and was split between all the teams in the conference. I think that moved NU down the list on revenue last year. Sorry can't remember where I saw that, maybe someone else saw that too.

IIR the Univ. gets the PPV money directly. So the share of the revenue went down, because less games were broadcast. But total revenue went up because they didn't share the PPV

Hmm, I wish I remembered where I read that, but it had also said that NU wasn't happy that they did it that way. Maybe it was on a board somewhere, but it seems like it was an article somewhere.

The latest revenue reports people have the chart for are the 2008 figures. Our revenue fell to 8th for the 2008 year because both the Kansas and Kansas State games were on PPV that season and were on FSN and Versus the year before. So while those two games don't figure into the revenue chart we DID make money from them - somewhere between $1.5M and $2M each that isn't factored into that chart (along with the other three usual ppv games).

To go back to the original question, my understanding is the Big 10 will subsidize NU to the extent it does not bring in the same money it did in the past. We'll let the accountants figure out what that means.