David Ubben's Top 25

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the top 8 best be pretty darn impressive.

Ranking the Big 12's best: No. 9

June, 23, 2010

By David Ubben

Today is Day 17 of our countdown of the Big 12's 25 best players entering the 2010 season. The full results are locked in a vault in an undisclosed location, but we'll be revealing one player per day until we reach the top of the list.

We're inside the top 10 now, and I kind of expect discussion on this to get pretty heated. I feel pretty good about where I've slotted guys, but we'll see if we need to do a mega-mailbag at the end of all this so I can defend my order. You'll notice the list is weighted somewhat toward more important positions. That's intentional and you won't see any more defensive linemen on this list. Plenty more running backs and linebackers that have impact on bigger portions of the field.

Remember, this isn't a list of the top-25 NFL prospects in the league. It's heavily weighted toward players' actual accomplishments in their college careers, as well as their likely impact on their teams in the 2010 season.

No. 9: Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska

2009 numbers: Recorded 9.5 sacks to rank sixth in the conference and finished with 12.5 tackles for loss. Also made 73 tackles.

Most recent ranking: Crick was unranked in the past offseason's ranking of the conference's top 40 players.

Making the case for Crick: The Big Question Crick won't be able to escape until perhaps conference play is how he'll perform without Ndamukong Suh next to him. He grabbed the conference's attention with a five-sack performance against Baylor and was one of the best defenders on the best defense in college football. This year, he'll be expected to lead and continue -- if not exceed -- his production. I expect him to do it. I've got a lot of faith in the Pelini Bros. to develop talent on defense, and you don't need to look much further than Big Suh to see why. Before they arrived, he was still a fairly pedestrian player. He left a legend. I don't expect Crick to reach those heights, but if he's anywhere close, he'll earn his spot on this list as the best defensive lineman in the conference.

The rest of the list:

No. 10: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

No. 11: Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma

No. 12: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

No. 13: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

No. 14: Alexander Robinson, RB, Iowa State

No. 15: Sam Acho, DE, Texas

No. 16: Roy Helu, Jr., RB, Nebraska

No. 17: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas

No. 18: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

No. 19: Kendall Hunter, RB, Oklahoma State

No. 20: Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M

No. 21: Tim Barnes, C, Missouri

No. 22: Brian Duncan, LB, Texas Tech

No. 23: Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma

No. 24: Tanner Hawkinson, OT, Kansas

No. 25: Blake Gideon, S, Texas

link

Maybe he is factoring in the loss of Suh a little too much

Ubben said on a mailbag question (that I asked ;) ) that this list is not a pro prospect board, but based mostly on merit. If it's based on merit and accomplishments from 2009, Crick should be top 3 at very worst.

Maybe he is factoring in the loss of Suh a little too much

Ubben said on a mailbag question (that I asked ;) ) that this list is not a pro prospect board, but based mostly on merit. If it's based on merit and accomplishments from 2009, Crick should be top 3 at very worst.

yep...just like suh was the best player last year and happened to be the highest rated draft prospect...

crick and prince both should be higher

Everyone is factoring the loss of Suh too much. Almost everyone, that I have read or heard, say that Suh was our defense and we will take a huge step back. Obviously those are the people that never watched husker football

i see that a lot, as well. defenses are much different than offenses. on offense, one guy can make the team (e.g. Crouch). but on defense, it is much more of a team effort and about assignments. SUH was excellent, no question, but it does not hurt when he can rely on an excellent secondary. although we may never see another player like SUH, our front four can be just as good because the sum is greater than the parts. and just like Ubben mentioned, a lot of the reason SUH was so good was because of the coaching staff. if they can coach up crick a little more (he was just a sophomore last year) he will be able to make the players around him better. he may never have the technique SUH did (which allowed SUH to get sack all on his own), but he will have the power and coaching to give himself and others opportunities.

my point being, it is just crazy to think that our defense will crumble without SUH. the great thing about our defense is that we were always getting pressure, either because we were blitzing or because the coverage was so good. BO is a schemer.