Tech's Take on shake-up

huKSer

So? They still wanted one. They only had 11 teams. They asked the NCAA "Please, please, with sugar on top, may we have a championship game?" The NCAA in a firm tone said "I'm sorry, but rules are rules. You must have 12 teams and 2 divisions."

Whether a team had or never had a championship game isn't an issue. It's following the rules.

I think of it as a 5yo kid. Its easy to deny a 5yo candy, but its hard to take it away from him. I think of the Big 12 as that little 5yo kid with CCG as a piece of candy. If you don't make a stand and take it away soon, you might miss the opportunity to take it away.

Didn't they have 10 teams when they first started asking for the CCG?

I was trying to say the NCAA will not make an exception, no matter what, from past practices. My source was one of the Big 10 posters on this board.

Don't know about when they first asked. SEC had the first CCG in 1991, Penn St joined the conference in 1993 (full or partial I don't know). Big 12 started in 1996. So it was possible, but I think most conferences hung back for a couple of years to see how it went with the SEC