Tech's Take on shake-up

huKSer

Tommy Tuberville doesn't necessarily agree with his chancellor.

He made some interesting remarks regarding the "New Big 12"!!

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/speak_your_mind_tommy.html

I read that on ESPN not too long ago. My only question is, would Dr. Pepper pull their sponsorship of the Big 12 title game after this season? And if so, would they sponsor the upcoming Big 10 title game for the 2011 season?

If they do, I do think reality is going to hit the Big 12 in the nuts.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/speak_your_mind_tommy.html

I read that on ESPN not too long ago. My only question is, would Dr. Pepper pull their sponsorship of the Big 12 title game after this season? And if so, would they sponsor the upcoming Big 10 title game for the 2011 season?

There won't even be a Big XII title game after this season, unless the NCAA grants the Big XII a special dispensation for the game. Their rules say you have to have 12 teams to have a championship game.

This is one of the several reasons why I am convinced the Big 12 will either expand or dissolve in a couple of years.

There won't even be a Big XII title game after this season, unless the NCAA grants the Big XII a special dispensation for the game. Their rules say you have to have 12 teams to have a championship game.

This is one of the several reasons why I am convinced the Big 12 will either expand or dissolve in a couple of years.

I predict the Texas X will implode due to all the sucking up the 9 little sisters will have to do to try to hold it together.

i do not necessarily think you are wrong, but my argument for them staying together is that everyone got what they want. TU gets whatever it wants, OU and A&M have quite a bit of leverage a get more than the rest and finally the rest of the little sisters have a better deal in the Big 12 than they could find anywhere else. i think they all have strong motivations to keep it together. i guess i would say they would expand before implode, but i am just one fan.

Despite Beebe saying they are staying with 10 teams? Texas AD saying they are talking about appealing a decision by the NCAA to remove their championship, should they choose that?

I dunno, but we shall what happens in the next year. If Dr. Pepper does end up sponsoring the Big 10 championship, one could say the Huskers left the Big 12 and took Dr. Pepper with them. But I guess Dr. Pepper could end up sponsoring the Pac-10 title game.

i do not necessarily think you are wrong, but my argument for them staying together is that everyone got what they want. TU gets whatever it wants, OU and A&M have quite a bit of leverage a get more than the rest and finally the rest of the little sisters have a better deal in the Big 12 than they could find anywhere else. i think they all have strong motivations to keep it together. i guess i would say they would expand before implode, but i am just one fan.

IF the smoke and mirrors TV deal comes through

IF the smoke and mirrors TV deal comes through

even if not, whatever the big 12 provides will be better than mwc, conference usa, mac...

mizzou might get the big 10, and then there would be problems, but other than mizzou the other teams have two choices: stay with Texas (which aTm and OU have proved they would rather do than go to greener pastures) or go to a second tier conference. it breaks down to the texas alliance and then the teams that would be homeless.

Despite Beebe saying they are staying with 10 teams? Texas AD saying they are talking about appealing a decision by the NCAA to remove their championship, should they choose that?

I dunno, but we shall what happens in the next year. If Dr. Pepper does end up sponsoring the Big 10 championship, one could say the Huskers left the Big 12 and took Dr. Pepper with them. But I guess Dr. Pepper could end up sponsoring the Pac-10 title game.

I don't know about you, but I don't see Dan Beebe as someone who actually knows what's going on in the Big XII. He's pretty much along for the ride, don't you agree?

They certainly should choose to appeal to the NCAA, but I don't see the NCAA's motivation for letting them have their championship game. Why give a special dispensation to a conference widely believed to be circling the drain? There's no reason to set that precedent only to have the conference dissolve in two or three years when reality sets in to the nine little sisters.

even if not, whatever the big 12 provides will be better than mwc, conference usa, mac...

mizzou might get the big 10, and then there would be problems, but other than mizzou the other teams have two choices: stay with Texas (which aTm and OU have proved they would rather do than go to greener pastures) or go to a second tier conference. it breaks down to the texas alliance and then the teams that would be homeless.

How long do you think Oklahoma and A&M are going to stay in a conference so heavily weighted in Texas' favor? The Big XII is barely holding together at this point, as is the status quo among all other conferences in Div 1A. The Superconference scenario isn't dead, it's just slumbering for the moment. All it's going to take is a nudge, just a little pebble falling, and the whole avalanche will get going.

If Texas' revenue vastly outstrips the little sisters, OK and A&M are going to be the first to bolt, and they'll go to the SEC where they're treated like equals. If either of them leave, and especially if both leave, the Big XII is done.

I don't know about you, but I don't see Dan Beebe as someone who actually knows what's going on in the Big XII. He's pretty much along for the ride, don't you agree?

They certainly should choose to appeal to the NCAA, but I don't see the NCAA's motivation for letting them have their championship game. Why give a special dispensation to a conference widely believed to be circling the drain? There's no reason to set that precedent only to have the conference dissolve in two or three years when reality sets in to the nine little sisters.

I heard that the Big 10 petitioned for years and never got permission for a CCG

How long do you think Oklahoma and A&M are going to stay in a conference so heavily weighted in Texas' favor? The Big XII is barely holding together at this point, as is the status quo among all other conferences in Div 1A. The Superconference scenario isn't dead, it's just slumbering for the moment. All it's going to take is a nudge, just a little pebble falling, and the whole avalanche will get going.

If Texas' revenue vastly outstrips the little sisters, OK and A&M are going to be the first to bolt, and they'll go to the SEC where they're treated like equals. If either of them leave, and especially if both leave, the Big XII is done.

that is what i am saying. TU knows enough to keep OU and aTm happy because they are the glue. TU has a huge motive to keep the conference together, they get whatever they want. OU and aTm are the only legitimate threats to leave, because they can, but they still would rather be with TU. as long as TU can keep them around, i do not see TU going anywhere because no other conference offers the control and tv rights they have now. that is why it was plausible that the exit fee money from NU and CU would go to TU, OU, and aTm; rather than just TU. those are the 3 that have to remain happy. OU and aTm don't have to get as much as TU, just more or at least as much as they would get anywhere else. they have a motive to stay with TU if TU treats them well enough.

The Big 10 never had one to begin with.

So? They still wanted one. They only had 11 teams. They asked the NCAA "Please, please, with sugar on top, may we have a championship game?" The NCAA in a firm tone said "I'm sorry, but rules are rules. You must have 12 teams and 2 divisions."

Whether a team had or never had a championship game isn't an issue. It's following the rules.

So? They still wanted one. They only had 11 teams. They asked the NCAA "Please, please, with sugar on top, may we have a championship game?" The NCAA in a firm tone said "I'm sorry, but rules are rules. You must have 12 teams and 2 divisions."

Whether a team had or never had a championship game isn't an issue. It's following the rules.

I think of it as a 5yo kid. Its easy to deny a 5yo candy, but its hard to take it away from him. I think of the Big 12 as that little 5yo kid with CCG as a piece of candy. If you don't make a stand and take it away soon, you might miss the opportunity to take it away.

Didn't they have 10 teams when they first started asking for the CCG?