Jake Shields Hasn't Signed With the UFC

To the surprise of few, Strikeforce middleweight king Jake Shields will no longer be competing for the San Jose, CA based organization. However, it wasn't known until Wednesday night how the free agency frenzy would conclude.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed with Sherdog.com the company has waived the final 2-3 week exclusive matching period they were allotted and have opted to release the controversial wrestler outright.

Although Coker would not elaborate on their newly vacant 185-pound throne, it's rumored the company has already been working on a middleweight grand prix tournament to fill the vacancy.

Jack Shields, the fighter's manager and father, told the website Strikeforce wasn't stoked over their extended flirtation with the Octagon.

"In the conversation we had today, [strikeforce] said they felt that Jake was leaning towards the UFC. Honestly, we were talking to them with an open mind, though Jake wants to fight the best," said Poppa Shields. "Between Strikeforce and EliteXC, Jake had the chance to fight on Showtime and CBS four or five times against some top fighters like Dan Henderson and Robbie Lawler.

"Strikeforce gave him great opportunities and exposure. They've been nothing but great for Jake."

Shields technically hit the open market after dominating Henderson in April at "Strikeforce: Nashville." He's been shopping his services across the globe, however the UFC served as the clear front-runner because they house the planet's top dogs.

The 31-year-old holds a 25-4-1 pro mark and has rolled off 14 straight wins.

Link

This just points more to the ineveditable. I'm actually a big Jake Shields fan. I hope he does sign with the UFC both Anderson Silva and GSP looked like crap in their last fights, and Shields could give etiher one of them competition

• 2 weeks later...

He has now signed with the UFC and will drop to Welterweight again. Got an ESPN text this morning. Hopefully he can get into title contention before GSP decides to "retire"

GSP won't retire anytime soon. He said he wants to be the best pound for pound fighter in the world and once he reaches that title it will be time to retire. Hopefully a Silva-GSP fight will take place for that title, but I doubt it. Shields will def. be in contention before he retires.

He has now signed with the UFC and will drop to Welterweight again. Got an ESPN text this morning. Hopefully he can get into title contention before GSP decides to "retire"

Looks like he is going to fight Martin Kampmann most likely at 121. I would definitely think if he wins that fight he will get a shot at the winner of GSP/Koscheck for the title.

Looks like he is going to fight Martin Kampmann most likely at 121. I would definitely think if he wins that fight he will get a shot at the winner of GSP/Koscheck for the title.

It would be more fun to see him go up against another top welterweight like Alves, Fitch or Thiago before he gets a shot IMO.

It would be more fun to see him go up against another top welterweight like Alves, Fitch or Thiago before he gets a shot IMO.

That could happen since Shields and Kampmann are going to fight in October and Fitch and Alves are fighting next month. GSP and Kos aren't fighting until December so the winner of Shields and Kampmann could fight the winner of Fitch and Alves in January and then the winner of that fight could fight the winner of GSP and Kos a few months later.

That could happen since Shields and Kampmann are going to fight in October and Fitch and Alves are fighting next month. GSP and Kos aren't fighting until December so the winner of Shields and Kampmann could fight the winner of Fitch and Alves in January and then the winner of that fight could fight the winner of GSP and Kos a few months later.

That's probably what should happen, but the only problem is GSP is only going to fight once a year, maybe twice if you're lucky. There's no way he turns around to fight again that quickly. After the December bout with Kos, he probably won't fight until next August at the earliest.

That's probably what should happen, but the only problem is GSP is only going to fight once a year, maybe twice if you're lucky. There's no way he turns around to fight again that quickly. After the December bout with Kos, he probably won't fight until next August at the earliest.

I don't believe he will have any problem with fighting again that quickly. The only reason he had such a long layoff between his fight at UFC 100 with Alves and the one at 111 with Dan Hardy was he hurt himself and wasn't healthy.

I don't believe he will have any problem with fighting again that quickly. The only reason he had such a long layoff between his fight at UFC 100 with Alves and the one at 111 with Dan Hardy was he hurt himself and wasn't healthy.

You're right. I forgot about GSP's groin injury. I still get the feeling that he's going into Emilianenko-mode where he's trying to prolong his career as much as possible with only 1 or 2 fights a year. It's a smart move for him, but it sort of sucks for the fans who'd like to see him more often.

You're right. I forgot about GSP's groin injury. I still get the feeling that he's going into Emilianenko-mode where he's trying to prolong his career as much as possible with only 1 or 2 fights a year. It's a smart move for him, but it sort of sucks for the fans who'd like to see him more often.

The lack of GSP fights has kind of made go from being a fan, to cheering against him. His fight against B.J. Penn was impressive but since than he has looked less impressive. I would love to see a fighter the caliber of Shields maybe wake him up to get the gsp of old back.