Advice Please From Any Cops On This Board

We live in a nice neighborhood...but a house next door to us got rented out to some questionable people. They don't work..we think there are two couples with kids. One day I was sitting outside and I heard a kid crying and screaming..her dad was hitting her. Then last night we were watching a movie and we went outside after it was over and 2 of our neighbors that we do know and like alot, were outside. My husband went out to talk to them and here the neighbor who we don't know that moved in next to us, was out there also. She told them that her husband got mad and threw her cell phone outside and needed a flashlight to find the pieces of it. My husband got a flashlight, they found the cell phone but didn't find the back of it. She told them that her husband had beat her a few weeks ago. Our neighbor that we are close to told my husband that her husband is in a gang! I told my husband that we should do something and he said to stay out of it because the last thing we need is a mexican gang coming out to get us. My heart goes out to this woman and her family. What do you suggest we do if anthing? I don't know how they can afford living in that house. We suspect they are on welfare and selling drugs..but we have no proof. Hope this is typed right..I am upset about it.

Without the police being aware of the situation there is not much they can do. Unless the woman that lives with the banger stands up for herself and calls the police or you do. It's darned if you do or don't. :dunno

GBR

My son is a LEO and I believe that's what he'd say.

I won't keep my mouth shut from calling the cops if I ever hear him hitting the kid again! I yelled at him when I heard him hitting the kid and told him to stop it and then he stopped! I wanted him to know that I heard it all! I hope she gets up enough nerve to call the cops! If she doesn't think it will happen again to her..she is wrong!

The best thing you can do is to not get yourself directly involved in the situation. Do not yell at him with nobody else around and don't put yourself in a situation that could turn out badly. For example, if you are home alone and you hear something, it's better to call the cops and have them deal with it. After all, you said he might be in a gang and he sounds like a bad individual anyways. Plus, you don't want to give him any reason to think you are the person who called the cops.

Second, unless you can convince the mother and/or child to do something about it, there really isn't much you can do. If you happen to hear something one day (like the child being abused), that's one thing. But, just calling child protective services may not get them the help they need.

Thanks for the advice...if I hear anything again...I will just keep my mouth shut and call the cops and let them deal with the a-hole! My heart went out to the kid and I couldn't just sit there...but..now that I know he is in a gang.it is better to let the cops handle him! I do have a protected gate that keeps locked and a wall around the house. I also have a dog that I got from the Humane Society that will attack if anyone tries to hurt me. My husband can't even hug me without her growling. Come to think of it..that neighbor yelled from the gate the other day and said he got locked out of the house and wanted to use our phone. I said that I can't help him right now. I don't trust the SOB!!

I'm fairly certain you can call the cops and remain anonymous. If you suspect there is abuse going on in the home, I'd call the cops, banger or not. The kid(s) and lady don't deserve to be in that situation.

This is what I would do. I'm glad you did not stand by while he was hitting the kid.

Like I said..we don't think anyone who is living there has a job. He is the one going out since his clothes are outside. I have no idea how they can afford living in that house. All the houses around here are very nice. Seems like the people who move into that house..don't last too long there. I fear for her and kids tonight when he sees that his clothes outside. The cops may be getting a call tonight..will have to see what happens. I just know that in no way are we going over there...let the cops handle it if it gets ugly.

We were sitting oustide last night..and him and another guy came and got the stuff that she put outside. When they came to get the stuff...my husband told me to go inside and stay inside. There was no disturbance, so we didn't have to call the cops. I have a feeling though..that he isn't done messing with people who are still there. I will not hesitate for a second to call the cops if it ever gets ugly! With the housing situation here...house prices are going down and in these times..you never know who you will get as neighbors! I can't imagine whoever is still living there will stay...will have to wait and see what happens. We live in a nice house and the neighborhood is nice..it won't hurt my feelings any if they move. Whatever it is with that house or landlord or both..people don't live there long.

Roxy,

Sorry I'm just getting to this now, the little ones have been beating me up lately. From an Officers perspective all you can be is a good witness. Getting directly involved puts you in danger and your family in danger. Call the police if it gets out of hand and then observe what's happening from a safe distance. Try not to let him see you observing him either. You can remain anonymous if you would like however; it may take away the probable cause the Officers may have to get into the home. We have anonymous individuals call all the time to report drug activity, but don't want to leave their name and the courts tie our hands in that situation. We have no probable cause to go to the residence and force the issue without a witness. A welfare check is a great possibility in this situation because if someone else calls the cops then this lady may open up to the cops and it can snowball from there. You can also call child-protective services and remain anonymous and they will most likely go to the home and start an investigation to make sure everything is okay at the home for the children.