Best Nebraska Comeback?

VA Husker Fan said, "I don't think you've seen as many as you think you have, and certainly not against top 10 teams like the great Oklahoma and Miami defenses. Some of those years were more frustrating when we didn't have any kind of passing threat at all. For the most part though, Osborne ran the offense that usually won or at least kept us from getting too far behind rather than worry about what to do if we got 3 TDs down.

The 02 A&M game was a good example of the offense coming back (from 17, wasn't it?) with a poor passing QB."

Actually I have had season tickets for over 30 years and have seen almost all of them. I don't remember everyone, of course. As some posters have pointed out, we had come from behind more that 14 points against some weaker opponents. And I remember a few of those. I will be honest with you, I don't remember that A&M game very well, even though I'm 99 percent sure I watched it. The only ones I ever missed -- and I seen most of these, too, were those Western Kentucky type of games.

But against top 10 teams before the mid-'90s, we either got defeated in tight games or got trounced! Switzer's teams were a great example of that. Osborne rarely defeated true top 10 teams before those great teams. I can remember three great wins against Alabama in 1977 (31-24, against OU in 1978 (17-14) and against UCLA in 1987 (Don't remember the score).

But after the UCLA game, we went through a long string of loses against true top-10 teams. We may have defeated a top-10 rated KSU team once or twice during those pre-mid-'90s years (I don't remember for sure), but I never thought of the Wildcats as a legit top-10 team until that 1998 season. OU may have finished in the top 10 in 1988 (NU 7-OU 3), but that team wasn't even close to Switzer's best. I don't remember if LSU finished in the top 10 in 1982, 1984 and 1986 -- we defeated them in bowls those years, or was it just '82 and '86?I may be missing a couple, but Tom had his problems in big games and against top 10 teams before the mid-'90s.