Best Nebraska Comeback?

Wow, this is a hard one. Because of our style of offense in most of the Osborne years, the Solich years, and the crappy teams of Callahan, we never had that game where we were behind -- for example 35-7 -- and came back and won.

OK, I found one. This is going way back, but the most dramatic memory I have. I was at the Kansas game in 1970. This was Devaney's first NC team. We pulled ahead 10-0 early in the game. All of a sudden, the Jayhawks exploded for 20 points! And I mean lightning fast! Us husker fans were in shock. Kansas fans were going crazy. The score 20-10 -- Kansas.

But then came one of the biggest plays in Husker history. The first play from scrimmage after Kansas' last touchdown, QB Van Bronson dropped back and threw an eighty-yard T.D. bomb to Guy "The Fly" Ingels. He beat a DB who ran a faster 100-yard dash. That touchdown took all the fire out of Kansas and its fans. Final score: NU 41-KU 20.

That was the greatest comeback I remember. I never seen another play that turned a game around like that eighty-yard bomb. Do some of you older posters remember that game?

1995 Orange Bowl against Miami has special meaning since it was Dr. Tom's first national title and we came back against a tough defense that was loaded with future NFL talent; Sapp, Lewis, Riley, Little.

yeah.gif

Great game, 2 great teams, on Miami's home field to slay the dragon that had beaten so many, including NU. For the National Championship, btw!

'95 Orange Bowl - And Frazier was hurting. Amazing game.

'71 Orange Bowl - Only two points down but it was the first.

Wow, this is a hard one. Because of our style of offense in most of the Osborne years, the Solich years, and the crappy teams of Callahan, we never had that game where we were behind -- for example 35-7 -- and came back and won.

OK, I found one. This is going way back, but the most dramatic memory I have. I was at the Kansas game in 1970. This was Devaney's first NC team. We pulled ahead 10-0 early in the game. All of a sudden, the Jayhawks exploded for 20 points! And I mean lightning fast! Us husker fans were in shock. Kansas fans were going crazy. The score 20-10 -- Kansas.

But then came one of the biggest plays in Husker history. The first play from scrimmage after Kansas' last touchdown, QB Van Bronson dropped back and threw an eighty-yard T.D. bomb to Guy "The Fly" Ingels. He beat a DB who ran a faster 100-yard dash. That touchdown took all the fire out of Kansas and its fans. Final score: NU 41-KU 20.

That was the greatest comeback I remember. I never seen another play that turned a game around like that eighty-yard bomb. Do some of you older posters remember that game?

Ahhh, good one. Another big KU upset was back in 1969. I remember reading an article a few years back about the significance of the ’69 KU game. It was Devaney’s 9th year, and in his last couple of years his teams had fallen off a bit with 6-4 records after great successes the first few years. KU had beaten us twice in a row in ’67 and ’68. NU started out 2-2 in 1969. Devaney was actually worried about losing his job if NU dropped the KU game and slid into a losing season in 1969.

KU led 17-6 halfway into the 4th qtr in the 1969 game. NU scores two unanswered TDs in the 4th qtr, with a 2 pt conversion on the first one. NU wins 21-17. Devaney’s job is safe. The rest is history.

Bo Pelini taking over the Nebraska program.... Oh wait you asked what game? I'll say last years Mizzou game.

Bo Pelini Bob Devaney taking over the Nebraska program (20-ish years down > 4-ish years down).... Oh wait you asked what game? I'll say last years Mizzou game.

Bo Pelini taking over the Nebraska program.... Oh wait you asked what game? I'll say last years Mizzou game.

Bo Pelini Bob Devaney taking over the Nebraska program (20-ish years down > 4-ish years down).... Oh wait you asked what game? I'll say '95 Orange Bowl.

EDIT: didn't edit correctly

I'm not much of a history buff, so I will go with the 2009 Missouri game. That was a great win for the team/program, and I think it really set the tone for the rest of the season.

It's also nice having a coach who can rally his team from a deficit and win the game. Bo has done this several times as head coach and he will likely continue to do so.

i agree. i remember watching and just thinking (almost giving up hope) 'it is going to be another mediocre season'. however, when we pulled it out, that put the season in a whole light. it was an important game for perception and even confidence. we did lose to ttu and isu, but we may not have been able to rebound so well without the mizzou game to beat ou or finish the season as well as we did. i think that game had a big influence on attitude and even confidence.

I remember watching that game.... I was pretty wasted, kicking empty beer cans all over the floor. When NU got the ball on first scoring drive. I sat down, took a deep breath, and said, "If we dont get a FG, Im it turning off and going to bed, I cant take anymore. another big game another woulda, coulda, shoulda." After Paul caught that pass, I litterly dropped a full beer on the floor in astonishment. Then I knew we had a chance cause our defense had pretty much dominated them other than that one play were Prince tripped and the guy caught it.

I'm not much of a history buff, so I will go with the 2009 Missouri game. That was a great win for the team/program, and I think it really set the tone for the rest of the season.

It's also nice having a coach who can rally his team from a deficit and win the game. Bo has done this several times as head coach and he will likely continue to do so.

i agree. i remember watching and just thinking (almost giving up hope) 'it is going to be another mediocre season'. however, when we pulled it out, that put the season in a whole light. it was an important game for perception and even confidence. we did lose to ttu and isu, but we may not have been able to rebound so well without the mizzou game to beat ou or finish the season as well as we did. i think that game had a big influence on attitude and even confidence.

I remember watching that game.... I was pretty wasted, kicking empty beer cans all over the floor. When NU got the ball on first scoring drive. I sat down, took a deep breath, and said, "If we dont get a FG, Im it turning off and going to bed, I cant take anymore. another big game another woulda, coulda, shoulda." After Paul caught that pass, I litterly dropped a full beer on the floor in astonishment. Then I knew we had a chance cause our defense had pretty much dominated them other than that one play were Prince tripped and the guy caught it.

Similar story for me. My friends who lived in Lincoln had a viewing party and I made the trip from Omaha. I barely knew anyone out of the 50 some people there. I was in such a zone that whole game that after we won I had at least 10 people who I'd never met before come up to me and tell me how glad they were we won because they were afriad of what I might have done had we lost :LOLtartar .

SO THAT is my favorite comeback story. 08 Colorado was bad either.

I liked the A&M game in 06. I mean, we had to block a field goal, then drive the field in a minute and hit Mo on a TD pass to win it.

This. There are plenty of other great comebacks (like the Game of the Century, I'm pretty sure we came back near the end to win that one), but this one sticks out in my mind because I remember watching the entire game and being real happy near the end.

Similar story for me. My friends who lived in Lincoln had a viewing party and I made the trip from Omaha. I barely knew anyone out of the 50 some people there. I was in such a zone that whole game that after we won I had at least 10 people who I'd never met before come up to me and tell me how glad they were we won because they were afriad of what I might have done had we lost :LOLtartar

I was zoned out for that game. I was consistently telling people to shut up cause I was watching the game. Some people that didnt know me to well, were beginning to think i was crazy or i had bet the farm on the game. I kept reminding them, "this is Nebraska and this a husker football game, what did you expect."

Vaguely. Of course, I was two months old at the time, but I was definitely listening on the radio. :thumbs

I was...SIX during that game!!! I remember my Dad hollerin' and whoopin' over the radio over that game tho...! GO BIG RED!!!

Similar story for me. My friends who lived in Lincoln had a viewing party and I made the trip from Omaha. I barely knew anyone out of the 50 some people there. I was in such a zone that whole game that after we won I had at least 10 people who I'd never met before come up to me and tell me how glad they were we won because they were afriad of what I might have done had we lost :LOLtartar .

I was really ready for that game, but my wife decided that she needed go to the ER - yeah, like not being to breathe is important or anything. Well, some cell phone calls to the inlaws about the game - they kept annoying me with questions about the health of their daughter let me have some insight in how the game was going. She gets checked out, we get in the car listening to the local Missouri radio broadcast and the announcer is dumbstruck - NU just scored at the end of the 3rd quarter. Got home and NU kept on scoring. So my impression of the game comes mostly from NU dominance in the 4th quarter.

Hardly anyone comes back from THAT big of a deficit. You can't use that as a measuring stick when only a few teams have ever done it.

In fact Osborne's teams rarely had to come back, but despite the notion by the "experts" that Osborne's offense couldn't do it, we did come back a few times. Notably in the 1984 Orange Bowl we were down 17 early and 14 in the 4th quarter and did everything but win. And as mentioned, we came back from 10 down twice in the 1995 Orange Bowl. And people remember the flea kicker in 1997 against Missouri, but we had to move 67 yards in a minute to score.

I think those 95 and 97 games were the best comebacks because of the importance. I was at both the 02 and 06 A&M games and they were great, and the 02 did keep us from a losing season, but in some ways I wonder if there would've been a bit more harmony in the fan base for firing Solich after a 6-7 season and no bowl.