I am a very harsh movie critic. And I can easily say that this is the best movie I have seen since the Departed, which is one of my top 3. It was extremely well acted, brilliantly casted, and perfectly produced. It's so refreshing to see an original movie these days, it seems like they just don't make them like they used to.

However Christopher Nolan could possibly write something like this is absolutely beyond me. And one of the best aspects of the movie was that as complex of a plot sequence that there was, you could still understand it, because, it almost seemed, dare I say, logical?

:star :star :star :star :star

10/10

12 thumbs up

I am a very harsh movie critic. And I can easily say that this is the best movie I have seen since the Departed, which is one of my top 3. It was extremely well acted, brilliantly casted, and perfectly produced. It's so refreshing to see an original movie these days, it seems like they just don't make them like they used to.

However Christopher Nolan could possibly write something like this is absolutely beyond me. And one of the best aspects of the movie was that as complex of a plot sequence that there was, you could still understand it, because, it almost seemed, dare I say, logical?

10/10

12 thumbs up

12 thumbs up...i think i found the alien :devil

10/10

12 thumbs up

12 thumbs up...i think i found the alien :devil

I hope that wasn't a spoiler...<_<

I'm not a movie type person. In fact I despise going to the theatre simply because I hate crowds. But I went because my wife wanted to see the movie (I'm a good husband like that chuckleshuffle ) and I have to admit, it was a very good movie. It took me a minute to really catch on to things like it did with the Matrix but once I was able to grasp what was actually going on, it was very entertaining. I have to admit, I personally thought the special effects in Matrix was slightly better but this the SE's in Inception were very good nonetheless. And the ending definitely leaves the door wide open for a sequel.

But the movie I really want to see this fall is Due Date with Robert Downey Jr, Jamie Foxx and Zach Galifianakis. The movie trailer had me rolling :LOLtartar

I saw it Friday afternoon. Best policy is to wait a few days before commenting. People are known to overstate things when they're writing review from their Blackberries on the ride home from the theater.

Inception was a terrific movie, but like all terrific blockbusters I think people tend to lose sight of the grander scheme of things. In the same way that The Dark Knight was and is not The Godfather (and the only people I've heard say otherwise are people who wouldn't know the difference), Inception was excellent in most every area but we won't be dusting off a lifetime achievement award for anyone involved. I tend to give original scripts a much more favorable treatment simply for the effort in what's become a very tedious cinema age.

As someone above mentioned, as convoluted as the story is (and for good reason), it still manages to mostly make sense when the credits start to roll. As long as you don't go to the bathroom for more than thirty seconds, you should be able to wrap your brain around the plot. But while I normally would see that as a strength, for me this was Inception's weakness. It was to my surprise a tad predictable. Especially the ending, which I had pretty much pegged fifteen minutes in. (SPOILER: Meaning that I believed throughout the entire movie that the first level of reality was in question from the outset, and sure enough, while left open, it ended with precisely that, and never twisted as much as I had hoped. /SPOILER).

The acting was fine but the characters were average. Find me a Daniel Plainview or Forrest Gump in the bunch and I'll give you a dollar. My best explanation of this is something that Nolan does is his action-ey films that drives me crazy. He plays music almost incessantly, a very special kind. I call it montage music, where scenes are crammed together under this constant beat and it constantly has me thinking I'm waiting for the next real scene. Check the first forty minutes of Batman Begins for an example. This trick makes the film feel fast-paced but the characters can suffer from a shortage of downtime.

The last thing I'll say is that while Inception seemed like it was about to crown itself King of Mindf*ck Films, the dream sequences fell prey to the exact rationality that isn't present in real dreams. Movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or even Vanilla Sky translate the bizarre world of the subconscious better than Nolan ever did. Granted the dreams in this movie were actual creations of someone else implanted into a host, but it doesn't change anything as much as it lowers expectations of surreality.

Overall it was one of the better movies this year. I don't see many big Oscars in its future but that'll depend on what else comes out around it.

I saw it Friday afternoon. Best policy is to wait a few days before commenting. People are known to overstate things when they're writing review from their Blackberries on the ride home from the theater.

Inception was a terrific movie, but like all terrific blockbusters I think people tend to lose sight of the grander scheme of things. In the same way that The Dark Knight was and is not The Godfather (and the only people I've heard say otherwise are people who wouldn't know the difference), Inception was excellent in most every area but we won't be dusting off a lifetime achievement award for anyone involved. I tend to give original scripts a much more favorable treatment simply for the effort in what's become a very tedious cinema age.

As someone above mentioned, as convoluted as the story is (and for good reason), it still manages to mostly make sense when the credits start to roll. As long as you don't go to the bathroom for more than thirty seconds, you should be able to wrap your brain around the plot. But while I normally would see that as a strength, for me this was Inception's weakness. It was to my surprise a tad predictable. Especially the ending, which I had pretty much pegged fifteen minutes in. (SPOILER: Meaning that I believed throughout the entire movie that the first level of reality was in question from the outset, and sure enough, while left open, it ended with precisely that, and never twisted as much as I had hoped. /SPOILER).

The acting was fine but the characters were average. Find me a Daniel Plainview or Forrest Gump in the bunch and I'll give you a dollar. My best explanation of this is something that Nolan does is his action-ey films that drives me crazy. He plays music almost incessantly, a very special kind. I call it montage music, where scenes are crammed together under this constant beat and it constantly has me thinking I'm waiting for the next real scene. Check the first forty minutes of Batman Begins for an example. This trick makes the film feel fast-paced but the characters can suffer from a shortage of downtime.

The last thing I'll say is that while Inception seemed like it was about to crown itself King of Mindf*ck Films, the dream sequences fell prey to the exact rationality that isn't present in real dreams. Movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or even Vanilla Sky translate the bizarre world of the subconscious better than Nolan ever did. Granted the dreams in this movie were actual creations of someone else implanted into a host, but it doesn't change anything as much as it lowers expectations of surreality.

Overall it was one of the better movies this year. I don't see many big Oscars in its future but that'll depend on what else comes out around it.

While I see where you're coming from, and disagree slightly on most, I do disagree with you calling the dream sequences falling prey to rationality that isn't present in real dreams"

I'm fairly confident Nolan opted not to make the dream sequences so fantasy and effect-laden to maintain the element of realism present in his best movies, as is his style, among other reasons. The Dark Knight is a good example. He took the gnarled and cartoonish batman model that Joel Schumacher built and turned it into Batman that didn't escape the parameters of reality or even probability. I think he chose not to make the dream sequences and subconscious scenes bizarre and outrageous because he wanted us to feel as though we were part of the dream, or in it even. Note the grandeur of the dream cities, or the snowy mountain in the snow scene. Even the black tiled safe (toward the end). They had a surreal, Elysian Field feel to them that could easy be/seem realistic had they been in a dream, but the omniscient audience sees that they aren't part of the real world. Just like Cobb told Ellen Page's character; the dream seems completely normal and real when you're in it, but when you wake you think back to how outlandish it was. Since not knowing which level of reality the characters are in is an obvious underlying theme, keeping the viewer in check by not making the distinction clear was very important.