Nebraska to play in 2011 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Classic?

We can't really commit to a game like this until we know what the Big Ten is going to do with scheduling. Like I've said before, if the Big Ten decides to play 8 conference games, then we could play in the Chick-fil-A game if we wanted to. But if it ends up being 9 conference games, then we're already set with the 3 OOC games already scheduled at the moment.

Until then, we'll just have to wait and see. But that $1.9 million would be nice to have considering the $$ we'll be losing out on when leaving the Big 12 this year.

Any clue which way they're leaning? Or when the decision on conference splits will take place?

Any clue which way they're leaning? Or when the decision on conference splits will take place?

It looks like they will be making a decision at the Big10 meetings in August.

"Big Ten officials will focus on formulating divisions for the 2011 season when they gather Aug. 2-3 in Chicago for the league’s media days and kickoff luncheon. A resolution seems likely to occur by the end of August."

Husker Extra

Sean Callahan has a thread over at RSS about it. I searched Google for confirmation and the only thing I could find was Wikipedia, but it didn't have a source to back it up.

According to the Wikipedia entry, we're scheduled to play South Carolina on Sept. 3rd, 2011. Interestingly enough, our 2011 schedule is open on that date, so I guess it is possible?

Another thing too is each team collects a cool $1.9 million. The game is played at the Georgia Dome and is a nationally televised game on ABC.

Stay tuned...

Nebraska and South Carolina had 2 very good games in 1986 and 1987. Their coach, Joe Morrison, died after the 1988 season. He was an interesting character who wore all black and smoked on the sidelines.

I prefer us playing an extra conference game than we do now regardless if it costs us one non conf.

For one, it will earn the conference more money through TV arrangements and the schools won't have to pay people like SDState 600k to come in to get gored.

Secondly, it will ensure that we can have a cross over rivalry with the other divisions. I would love a cross over with Michigan / Ohio State and another cross over with a garbage school.

However, this will mean that our SOS will be pretty damn hard year in and year out.

If we follow the East/West+PennState conference alignment then our schedule could look something like..

3 Non Conf vs Div 1 non BCS opponents insert (Bowling Green, Ball State, New Mexico State here)

1 v. Iowa

2 v. Wisconsin

3 v. Minnesota

4 v. Penn State

5 v. Northwestern

Guaranteed Cross Over

6 v. Michigan

Guaranteed Cross Over

7 v. Purdue

Rotating Schedule of

8/9 v. (Illinois & Ohio State) & (Michigan State & Indiana)

That's a pretty damn brutal conference schedule... would look and feel a lot like playing through an improbable season in the SEC ... :gulp:

I see there would be 3 guaranteed non conference wins, almost guarantees against purdue, minnesota, and northwestern.

A .500 win percentage against Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Pennstate (Illinois & Ohio State), (Michigan State & Indiana) would still give us a 9 win season.

I do see Nebraska having winning records against Iowa and Wisconsin especially once Neb starts recruiting in their backyard. I really don't feel Iowa will continue to compete on the national level they have the last few years once the big red gets rolling again. Some of wisconsin's cache will be lost to Nebraska, but I see both these opponents as Colorado / Missouri types. They don't win it all, but they can put together solid teams capable of upsetting BCS ambitions and will always come ready to play.