New York City mosque

Our positions are likely not that far apart. We're providing example after example that makes it seem as if our positions are farther apart than they probably are to illustrate points. Too often that makes a conversation in an imperfect medium like this seem more rancorous than it really is.

Agreed 100 percent. We must ever be mindful not to decline into that bitter vitriol. No harm done, no harm intended.

I support the effort to construct the mosque 100%. The area they are building it in is a historic Arabic neighborhood that used to be known as "Little Syria". They are totally within their rights to construct this facility and I despise the so-called "real Americans" who want to take away their liberties. It's just bigotry, really. Few people who live in the area (literally, the area, not white bread Long Island shmucks weighing in on this) care about this because nobody has ever had problems with the Arabic community in New York. Suddenly this is national news and some bigots from east bum-f#*k Wyoming think they understand the situation. These people aren't violent. They're my freaking neighbors that I see everyday and it is extremely insulting to me how this is being handled. Even my parents in the suburbs - well to do Jewish people - are raising a stink about it. It really makes me angry. Bunch of hypocrites and bigots. That's all this is.

:yeah +1

I've said this time and time again to anyone who will listen, that this is NOT a christian country. It is a country founded on religious freedom. Which means freedom for ALL religions, not just the most predominant one.

All men were created equal and free too but slavery still happened. oops! The problems with Islam is that they are trying to take over the world. that's not a conspiracy theory. If you have paid attention to Muslims in Europe they are having problems with them because they want sharia law instated along side the country's laws. They aren't adapting to their culture but instead trying to impose it upon their new country. When France banned headscarves they threw a stink about it. When Muslims in ancient times conquered new lands they built mosques to state their dominance. Building their Mosque on 9/11 ground is a complete insult not only to the people who died but to America. If it gets built don't be surprised that you see muslims around the world cheering.

I support the effort to construct the mosque 100%. The area they are building it in is a historic Arabic neighborhood that used to be known as "Little Syria". They are totally within their rights to construct this facility and I despise the so-called "real Americans" who want to take away their liberties. It's just bigotry, really. Few people who live in the area (literally, the area, not white bread Long Island shmucks weighing in on this) care about this because nobody has ever had problems with the Arabic community in New York. Suddenly this is national news and some bigots from east bum-f#*k Wyoming think they understand the situation. These people aren't violent. They're my freaking neighbors that I see everyday and it is extremely insulting to me how this is being handled. Even my parents in the suburbs - well to do Jewish people - are raising a stink about it. It really makes me angry. Bunch of hypocrites and bigots. That's all this is.

I've said this time and time again to anyone who will listen, that this is NOT a christian country. It is a country founded on religious freedom. Which means freedom for ALL religions, not just the most predominant one.

All men were created equal and free too but slavery still happened. oops! 1. The problems with Islam is that they are trying to take over the world. that's not a conspiracy theory. If you have paid attention to Muslims in Europe they are having problems with them because they want sharia law instated along side the country's laws. They aren't adapting to their culture but instead trying to impose it upon their new country. 2. When France banned headscarves they threw a stink about it. When Muslims in ancient times conquered new lands they built mosques to state their dominance. 3. Building their Mosque on 9/11 ground is a complete insult not only to the people who died but to America. If it gets built don't be surprised that you see muslims around the world cheering.

1. Good point . . . Christians would NEVER try to take over the world . . . oh wait? They already did that? Hmmmm.

2. Again, Christians would NEVER make a stink about a law passed by government. Oh? They do that all the time too?! Hmmmm.

3. You don't know your history very well and you seem to buy into the demagoguery of this issue.

• Fire 2

Ha Ha! This is good stuff! A religious thread can't go two post without an argument. And people wonder why we kill each other over mythical creatures. Maybe we should start a thread about hobbies so people have less free time on their hands. It is fun to read though. :ahhhhhhhh

This is the point of this forum. It's like going to the Husker Football forum and being surprised to find a debate over who should start at QB. What did you expect? :dunno

Ha Ha! This is good stuff! A religious thread can't go two post without an argument. And people wonder why we kill each other over mythical creatures. Maybe we should start a thread about hobbies so people have less free time on their hands. It is fun to read though. :ahhhhhhhh

This is the point of this forum. It's like going to the Husker Football forum and being surprised to find a debate over who should start at QB. What did you expect? :dunno

I'm not hate'n on it, I actually do like reading through these. I will just read and keep my fingers to myself. :)

All men were created equal and free too but slavery still happened. oops! 1. The problems with Islam is that they are trying to take over the world. that's not a conspiracy theory. If you have paid attention to Muslims in Europe they are having problems with them because they want sharia law instated along side the country's laws. They aren't adapting to their culture but instead trying to impose it upon their new country. 2. When France banned headscarves they threw a stink about it. When Muslims in ancient times conquered new lands they built mosques to state their dominance. 3. Building their Mosque on 9/11 ground is a complete insult not only to the people who died but to America. If it gets built don't be surprised that you see muslims around the world cheering.

1. Good point . . . Christians would NEVER try to take over the world . . . oh wait? They already did that? Hmmmm.

2. Again, Christians would NEVER make a stink about a law passed by government. Oh? They do that all the time too?! Hmmmm.

3. You don't know your history very well and you seem to buy into the demagoguery of this issue.

1. Except it was only the Catholic branch headed by the the pope. Protestantism wasn't around then. Islam it is written in the Qu'ran. The bible does not make that statement.

2. Except our laws aren't clearly defined that christians are raising a stink about.

3. Oh please if a muslim place was reduced to rubble and a christian group wanted to build a victory church all the muslims would bitch about it.

Except, the World Trade Center is NOT a Christian place that was reduced to rubble, and a mosque is NOT a victory church. And "they would bitch about it too" doesn't really make it okay.

At any rate, I think plans for the mosque have been abandoned now because the muslim leaders decided the backlash against their community would make it not worth it. The fact that the backlash is there is quite unfortunate, IMO.

1. Except it was only the Catholic branch headed by the the pope. Protestantism wasn't around then. Islam it is written in the Qu'ran. The bible does not make that statement.

2. Except our laws aren't clearly defined that christians are raising a stink about.

3. Oh please if a muslim place was reduced to rubble and a christian group wanted to build a victory church all the muslims would bitch about it.

1. Is the Catholic church not Christian? Also . . . you are apparently willing to ignore a certain sect of Christianity and not apply it's actions to the whole. I wonder why you are unwilling to make a similar distinction for Muslims who are not terrorists? Hmmmm. Curiouser and curiouser.

2. What? I know a LOT of Christians unhappy with the Prop 8 ruling in California if you'd like a recent example. (And don't give me the "activist judge overruling the will of the people" BS. When a state law violates federal law it is EXPRESSLY THE PURPOSE of the judicial branch to strike it down.)

3. Victory church? Please show me where the stated purpose of this mosque is to be a "victory mosque." I'd hate to think you'd just invent a fact like that . . . you've seemed so educated and well versed so far. I'd hate to be disappointed. :(

Two more points that I see.

#1 If you have paid attention to Muslims in Europe they are having problems with them because they want sharia law instated along side the country's laws. They want it added to the country's laws, which derive from 'common laws', which were founded by and other wise known as 'Christian law'. Although belief systems may be different and ideas and opinions will always differ, most religions have formed and shaped the laws of the areas they are practiced

#2 They aren't adapting to their culture but instead trying to impose it upon their new country. Sounds like about every religious movement and any large migration of people ever. We know nothing like that has ever happened in this country.... And there are not thousands of missionary trips every year done by Christians who go to other countries and spread "their words and laws". Sure they bring food and medical supplies, they also hand bibles to every man, women and child and give sermon and prayer sessions for those awaiting their food and medical supplies. Some would say that its a nice, humane cover for them to push their belief system upon others.

Point is everyone does it, every religion, and every people from every land. We (Americans & Christians) only have issues with it when we are the ones being pushed and not the ones doing the pushing.

Then again that is only my $.02, you are intitled to yours. And one thing I learned long ago is that there is never a winner in an arguement over religious/belief topics. Only multiple sides that express their feelings. Hope everyone has a good one. :)

• Fire 1

Also . . . does anyone else find it interesting that a place of worship built several blocks away from the World Trade Center site is insulting and denigrating to the hallowed ground (that is several blocks away) but it's honorable and respectful to build a SHOPPING MALL literally in the ground beneath the WTC? Nothing honors the deceased at the WTC like a Gap, an Abercrombie & Fitch, and a McDonalds based food court.

(Don't believe me? Check it out. LINK "The below-grade concourses will include approximately 55,000 square feet of retail space.")

Stuff

Fro, I didn't know you came down to the bowels of HuskerBoard! I've never seen you in this forum before. Have I just been missing you?

On occasion. I have to admit, am usually a lurker. I find it interesting to see different sides of debates and ideas.