New York City mosque

and...we all know there already is a Mosque a few blocks away from the site of the World Trade Center attacks right?

Do a Google map search from the WTC Towers to Masjid Manhattan. It's about four blocks away. And has been there since 1970.

Just like most Christians will adamantly claim they don't believe in the Phelps family's views on the bible...most Muslims condemn the terrorist's views and their attacks on the WTC

• Fire 1

and...we all know there already is a Mosque a few blocks away from the site of the World Trade Center attacks right?

Do a Google map search from the WTC Towers to Masjid Manhattan. It's about four blocks away.

Right, but this one will only be two blocks away. Four blocks is OK. Two blocks is an international incident. So saith Glenn Beck and the Rest of the Right.

#2 They aren't adapting to their culture but instead trying to impose it upon their new country. Sounds like about every religious movement and any large migration of people ever. We know nothing like that has ever happened in this country.... And there are not thousands of missionary trips every year done by Christians who go to other countries and spread "their words and laws". Sure they bring food and medical supplies, they also hand bibles to every man, women and child and give sermon and prayer sessions for those awaiting their food and medical supplies. Some would say that its a nice, humane cover for them to push their belief system upon others.

Point is everyone does it, every religion, and every people from every land. We (Americans & Christians) only have issues with it when we are the ones being pushed and not the ones doing the pushing.

Then again that is only my $.02, you are intitled to yours. And one thing I learned long ago is that there is never a winner in an arguement over religious/belief topics. Only multiple sides that express their feelings. Hope everyone has a good one. :)

Yes, but trying to pursuade a person or persons to convert to "Religion A" is not the same as trying to institute your religious beliefs as laws for the country that you are currently in. Especially when they may be contrary to the established laws.

I support the effort to construct the mosque 100%. The area they are building it in is a historic Arabic neighborhood that used to be known as "Little Syria". They are totally within their rights to construct this facility and I despise the so-called "real Americans" who want to take away their liberties. It's just bigotry, really. Few people who live in the area (literally, the area, not white bread Long Island shmucks weighing in on this) care about this because nobody has ever had problems with the Arabic community in New York. Suddenly this is national news and some bigots from east bum-f#*k Wyoming think they understand the situation. These people aren't violent. They're my freaking neighbors that I see everyday and it is extremely insulting to me how this is being handled. Even my parents in the suburbs - well to do Jewish people - are raising a stink about it. It really makes me angry. Bunch of hypocrites and bigots. That's all this is.

:yeah +1

I've said this time and time again to anyone who will listen, that this is NOT a christian country. It is a country founded on religious freedom. Which means freedom for ALL religions, not just the most predominant one.

All men were created equal and free too but slavery still happened. oops! 1. The problems with Islam is that they are trying to take over the world. that's not a conspiracy theory. If you have paid attention to Muslims in Europe they are having problems with them because they want sharia law instated along side the country's laws. They aren't adapting to their culture but instead trying to impose it upon their new country. 2. When France banned headscarves they threw a stink about it. When Muslims in ancient times conquered new lands they built mosques to state their dominance. 3. Building their Mosque on 9/11 ground is a complete insult not only to the people who died but to America. If it gets built don't be surprised that you see muslims around the world cheering.

1. Good point . . . Christians would NEVER try to take over the world . . . oh wait? They already did that? Hmmmm.

2. Again, Christians would NEVER make a stink about a law passed by government. Oh? They do that all the time too?! Hmmmm.

3. You don't know your history very well and you seem to buy into the demagoguery of this issue.

1. Except it was only the Catholic branch headed by the the pope. Protestantism wasn't around then. Islam it is written in the Qu'ran. The bible does not make that statement.

2. Except our laws aren't clearly defined that christians are raising a stink about.

3. Oh please if a muslim place was reduced to rubble and a christian group wanted to build a victory church all the muslims would bitch about it.

1. Is the Catholic church not Christian? Also . . . you are apparently willing to ignore a certain sect of Christianity and not apply it's actions to the whole. I wonder why you are unwilling to make a similar distinction for Muslims who are not terrorists? Hmmmm. Curiouser and curiouser.

2. What? I know a LOT of Christians unhappy with the Prop 8 ruling in California if you'd like a recent example. (And don't give me the "activist judge overruling the will of the people" BS. When a state law violates federal law it is EXPRESSLY THE PURPOSE of the judicial branch to strike it down.)

3. Victory church? Please show me where the stated purpose of this mosque is to be a "victory mosque." I'd hate to think you'd just invent a fact like that . . . you've seemed so educated and well versed so far. I'd hate to be disappointed. :(

1. that's debatable. They really don't follow Jesus's teachings all that well. No i am not ignoring but you don't see the crusades still happening. Plus the Pope throughout history has abused his power and written fake letters to keep his power. Even betrayed the knights templar who helped him on his crusades. Almost none of the Popes actions would be right before Jesus.

2. marriage isn't defined in the constitution thus it can be defined by the states which they did. The federal court ruled on it so that every state must accept another state's marriage license.

3. Al Qaeda will see it was a victory hence "victory mosque". Let's just give the terrorists something else to cheer about. Also the guy leading this group for the construction also supports Hamas. That should be enough. Plus the Federal Government can stop this and claim imminent domain. Why is this mosque being built now? why start construction on 9-11-11? The location of the mosque doesn't make sense because there are other closer mosque's so why even include one?

Al Qaeda will see it was a victory hence "victory mosque".

I didn't know we let Al Qaeda's preferences dictate our opinions now...

At any rate, what Al Qaeda really sees as a victory is this backlash against Muslims. If we were open and accepting and treated this the same way as any church, it'd be a lot harder to try to stir up radicalism in youth. As it is, the "Americans hates your brother muslisms" card is a lot easier for them to play.

So if you will, all this backlash is an Al-Qaeda "recruiting victory."

• Fire 2

Do a Google map search from the WTC Towers to Masjid Manhattan. It's about four blocks away.

Right, but this one will only be two blocks away. Four blocks is OK. Two blocks is an international incident. So saith Glenn Beck and the Rest of the Right.

What are you saying?

Reid (a bigot?) and Beck are calling for the removal of mosques in Manhattan?

Masjid Manhattan, on Warren Street, four blocks from ground zero, was founded in 1970.

Masjid al-Farah, formerly on Mercer Street, moved to its present location on West Broadway, about 12 blocks from ground zero, in 1985.

Both mosques — essentially one-room operations — routinely turn people away for lack of space. Link

Beck speaks for the "Right"?

The "Right" all think alike? Or did you just create/define a new group: "The Rest of the Right"?

At any rate, what Al Qaeda really sees as a victory is this backlash against Muslims. If we were open and accepting and treated this the same way as any church, it'd be a lot harder to try to stir up radicalism in youth. As it is, the "Americans hates your brother muslisms" card is a lot easier for them to play.

Oh puuuhhhh-leeeeeze!!! No disrespect to you intended, but I have heard this "argument" so many times it makes me want to puke. The USA has done more to HELP Muslims than it has done to hurt Muslims, yet they still hate us. We have given more money and more military aid to Muslims and Muslims countries than ANY "non-Muslim" country, yet we are hated because we also support not allowing Israel to be blown off the map, and because we have the audacity to support democracy in the Middle East.

They will find any excuse to hate us and to try and destroy us.

Exactly. Al-Qaeda wins if this "war on terror" changes into a war between the US and Islam. That is simply a war without end . . . and one that we cannot and will not win.

Bin Laden (if he is still alive) LOVES this backlash against the proposed mosque. This is exactly what he wants. Beck/Limbaugh/Fox/Republican Party are more than willing to give Bin Laden what he wants (division between Islam and the US) if it makes Obama/Democratic Party look bad. It's sickening.

Oh puuuhhhh-leeeeeze!!! No disrespect to you intended, but I have heard this "argument" so many times it makes me want to puke. The USA has done more to HELP Muslims than it has done to hurt Muslims, yet they still hate us. We have given more money and more military aid to Muslims and Muslims countries than ANY "non-Muslim" country, yet we are hated because we also support not allowing Israel to be blown off the map, and because we have the audacity to support democracy in the Middle East.

Any factual basis for the bold? That sounds entirely fabricated. I seem to remember the US spending a LOT of time and money defending Europe during the Cold War. Not to mention the lives/money spent liberating Europe in WWI and WWII.

No offense . . . but I think that statement is entirely false. Feel free to prove me wrong though if you can.

Any factual basis for the bold? That sounds entirely fabricated. I seem to remember the US spending a LOT of time and money defending Europe during the Cold War. Not to mention the lives/money spent liberating Europe in WWI and WWII.

No offense . . . but I think that statement is entirely false. Feel free to prove me wrong though if you can.

Yeah, I didn't say that very well, let me refine my thoughts:

We have given more money and more military aid to Muslims and Muslim countries than ANY other "non-Muslim" country has given to Muslims/Muslim countries.

Hope that clarifies it, sorry.

Yeah, I didn't say that very well, let me refine my thoughts:

We have given more money and more military aid to Muslims and Muslim countries than ANY other "non-Muslim" country has given to Muslims/Muslim countries.

Hope that clarifies it, sorry.

So you are saying the US is a "non-Muslim" country giving aid to Muslim countries? I can't agree. The US is a non-denominational country giving aid. We are simultaneously Muslim/Christian/Buddhist/Pastafarian/Etc. I think you're trying to draw a distinction that doesn't exist. We're the wealthiest country on earth so of course we give more aid to others than the less wealthy country.

1. that's debatable. They really don't follow Jesus's teachings all that well. No i am not ignoring but you don't see the crusades still happening. Plus the Pope throughout history has abused his power and written fake letters to keep his power. Even betrayed the knights templar who helped him on his crusades. Almost none of the Popes actions would be right before Jesus.

2. marriage isn't defined in the constitution thus it can be defined by the states which they did. The federal court ruled on it so that every state must accept another state's marriage license.

3. Al Qaeda will see it was a victory hence "victory mosque". Let's just give the terrorists something else to cheer about. Also the guy leading this group for the construction also supports Hamas. That should be enough. Plus the Federal Government can stop this and claim imminent domain. Why is this mosque being built now? why start construction on 9-11-11? The location of the mosque doesn't make sense because there are other closer mosque's so why even include one?

1. And it's also debatable whether the terrorists follow the teachings of Mohammed all that well. Moderate Muslims certainly think they do not. As far as I know the Koran does not say "Fly planes into the World Trade Center for Allah." Much like the pope telling followers what to do . . . Bin Laden told his followers what to do. The analogy fits quite well.

2. However the Constitution does guarantee each person "equal protection" under the law. If you are denying equal rights to someone you are violating the Constitution. Some Christians are quite upset about this.

3. Who gives a damn what the terrorists cheer about? And no, the guy leading this does not support Hamas. Finally, you are repeating a lie when you say that construction will start on 9/11/2011. That was a total lie invented by Fox News to drum up more opposition. LINK Anything else?

Exactly. Al-Qaeda wins if this "war on terror" changes into a war between the US and Islam. That is simply a war without end . . . and one that we cannot and will not win.

Bin Laden (if he is still alive) LOVES this backlash against the proposed mosque. This is exactly what he wants. Beck/Limbaugh/Fox/Republican Party are more than willing to give Bin Laden what he wants (division between Islam and the US) if it makes Obama/Democratic Party look bad. It's sickening.

To use your own words: Any factual basis for the bold? That sounds entirely fabricated.

What sickens is that this is what passes for civil discourse.

People disagree with you are and they are bigots, collaborators or worse.

To use your own words: Any factual basis for the bold? That sounds entirely fabricated.

What sickens is that this is what passes for civil discourse.

People disagree with you are and they are bigots, collaborators or worse.

Surely. Just give me time to find an article . . .

I'll edit this as soon as I get to it.

here you go