Nebraska’s move a sour note for KU fight song LOLZ

Who'd have figured:

For almost a century, the Kansas fight song has boasted about husking corn and listening to the Cornhuskers’ “wail.”

Come October, the classic standard “I’m A Jayhawk” will be revised to account for Nebraska’s move to the Big Ten next year and Colorado’s move to the Pac-10 next year or in 2012.

It’s common for college fight-song lyrics to call out a hated opponent. Harvard and Yale hammer each other in their battle cries. Navy leaves no doubt it wants to sink Army. California’s Golden Bear “growls” when he “hears the tread of lowly Stanford red.”

Kansas, on the other hand, mentions six foes from the old Big Eight—all but Iowa State—and is the only school with cause to tweak its fight song after this summer’s conference realignment.

Nebraska and Colorado’s songs don’t reference other schools. The same holds true for Utah, which is going to the Pac-10, and Mountain West-bound Boise State.

My link

Now if you're like me ... you don't have the slightest idea what the Kansas fight song is ... something I suppose they'd play after every touchdown. No wonder I've never heard it.

Here it is or was:

Talk about the Sooners

The Cowboys and the Buffs,

Talk about the Tiger and his tail,

Talk about the Wildcats,

and those Cornhuskin' boys, But I'm

the bird to make 'em weep and wail.

CHORUS:

'Cause I'm a Jay, Jay,

Jay, Jay, Jayhawk,

Up at Lawrence on the Kaw

'Cause I'm a Jay, Jay,

Jay, Jay, Jayhawk,

With a sis-boom, hip hoorah.

Got a bill that's big enough

To twist the Tiger's tail

Husk some corn and listen

To the Cornhusker's wail-

'Cause I'm a Jay, Jay,

Jay, Jay, Jayhawk,

Riding on a Kansas gale.

Who'd have figured:

For almost a century, the Kansas fight song has boasted about husking corn and listening to the Cornhuskers’ “wail.”

Come October, the classic standard “I’m A Jayhawk” will be revised to account for Nebraska’s move to the Big Ten next year and Colorado’s move to the Pac-10 next year or in 2012.

It’s common for college fight-song lyrics to call out a hated opponent. Harvard and Yale hammer each other in their battle cries. Navy leaves no doubt it wants to sink Army. California’s Golden Bear “growls” when he “hears the tread of lowly Stanford red.”

Kansas, on the other hand, mentions six foes from the old Big Eight—all but Iowa State—and is the only school with cause to tweak its fight song after this summer’s conference realignment.

Nebraska and Colorado’s songs don’t reference other schools. The same holds true for Utah, which is going to the Pac-10, and Mountain West-bound Boise State.

My link

Now if you're like me ... you don't have the slightest idea what the Kansas fight song is ... something I suppose they'd play after every touchdown. No wonder I've never heard it.

Here it is or was:

Talk about the Sooners

The Cowboys and the Buffs,

Talk about the Tiger and his tail,

Talk about the Wildcats,

and those Cornhuskin' boys, But I'm

the bird to make 'em weep and wail.

CHORUS:

'Cause I'm a Jay, Jay,

Jay, Jay, Jayhawk,

Up at Lawrence on the Kaw

'Cause I'm a Jay, Jay,

Jay, Jay, Jayhawk,

With a sis-boom, hip hoorah.

Got a bill that's big enough

To twist the Tiger's tail

Husk some corn and listen

To the Cornhusker's wail-

'Cause I'm a Jay, Jay,

Jay, Jay, Jayhawk,

Riding on a Kansas gale.

Yawn. Sounds like something a worthless school would do to get someone to pay attention to them.

I suppose they'd play after every touchdown. No wonder I've never heard it.

The irony here is, of course, that they hung more points on us in one game than any other team. Self-:facepalm:

I noticed that, too. I guess the only "consolation" in that game is that the team who holds the record is Kansas, not Texas Tech. It may be a tiny, tiny ray of sunshine, but it's something.

The irony here is, of course, that they hung more points on us in one game than any other team. Self-:facepalm:

I noticed that, too. I guess the only "consolation" in that game is that the team who holds the record is Kansas, not Texas Tech. It may be a tiny, tiny ray of sunshine, but it's something.

Even the sun shines on a dog's ass once in a while.

Even the sun shines on a dog's ass once in a while.

Yep. It was a combination of the best team they've had in over a decade combined with the worst team we've had in about four decades. A perfect storm.