Do yourself a favor

Used to use BitForce but took a big hit on performance even with a quadcore. Changed to G Data and it picked up a couple of questionable files. Less hit on system load too. For the bucks it seems that Avast is a good bet though. FREE, don't even need no coopons :)

To each their own and what works best with their system.

GBR

Hijack This

Avast

MalwareBytes

and Dr. Web CureIt

I actually burned all these to a CD so I can take them with me to any computer I have to fix.

If the first three can't seem to fix any virus issues, CureIt does. Btw, it's generally best to do these all in safe mode. Tricky viruses like to rise from the dead after you think you've killed them.

I'd try it, but it won't let me download it. I have Vista and it's telling me I can't download this program, which makes no sense.

You really are an Iowan aren't you(LOL)? Try the section in the middle of the page where it says "Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, try the Windows Vista and Windows 7 edition of the scanner."

You really are a Nebraskan aren't you? I tried to download that one, but it won't let me. I think it's extremely hilarious when Nebraskans try to make fun of Iowans. Pot meet kettle............ :lol:

I'd try it, but it won't let me download it. I have Vista and it's telling me I can't download this program, which makes no sense.

You really are an Iowan aren't you(LOL)? Try the section in the middle of the page where it says "Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, try the Windows Vista and Windows 7 edition of the scanner."

You really are a Nebraskan aren't you? I tried to download that one, but it won't let me. I think it's extremely hilarious when Nebraskans try to make fun of Iowans. Pot meet kettle............

And living in Oklahoma, I get to make fun of both of you so neener-neener....

BRI,

Are you getting any type of message? I have Vista on one laptop and W7 on another and I didn't have any problems on either. Do you get a pop-up saying something to the effect that "such and such a program wants to do this, blah, blah, blah..." then you choose whether or not to let it? What exactly happens when you try to run it?

You really are a Nebraskan aren't you? I tried to download that one, but it won't let me. I think it's extremely hilarious when Nebraskans try to make fun of Iowans. Pot meet kettle............

And living in Oklahoma, I get to make fun of both of you so neener-neener....

BRI,

Are you getting any type of message? I have Vista on one laptop and W7 on another and I didn't have any problems on either. Do you get a pop-up saying something to the effect that "such and such a program wants to do this, blah, blah, blah..." then you choose whether or not to let it? What exactly happens when you try to run it?

It's saying something like, "I'm sorry, you need to upgrade your system to Windows Vista or Windows 7." Um, I have Windows Vista 32-bit, what the hell is the problem?

It's saying something like, "I'm sorry, you need to upgrade your system to Windows Vista or Windows 7." Um, I have Windows Vista 32-bit, what the hell is the problem?

This isn't the answer that you're looking for, but I've seen that-on machines that are badly infected. I would say that it's time to download combofix, reboot into safe mode and let it do its thing. After a reboot or three, the Microsoft tool should work.

This isn't the answer that you're looking for, but I've seen that-on machines that are badly infected. I would say that it's time to download combofix, reboot into safe mode and let it do its thing. After a reboot or three, the Microsoft tool should work.

Figures, I took this thing into Best Buy, I know that wasn't a good idea, and they told me there wasn't any issues with it. They ran a chkdsk and got the thing working again. Originally it would give me just a black screen and never log in. Best Buy sucks! Is this combofix free or how much does it cost?

Avira Antivir

MalwareBytes

HiJackThis

Comodo Firewall

CCleaner

Never had any issues with these programs installed and doing weekly scans. I've almost never have had to use HiJackThis over MalwareBytes. Personally, MalwareBytes is a very good program and automatically removes most threats.

Keep in mind that the free anti virus programs you can get (such as Avira and Avast) offer almost no real time protection that Norton and McAfee offer. The downfall with real time protection is Norton and McAfee are complete resource hogs which bog down my PC (which is a virus by definition). As far as post scans and removal, Avira and Avast actually score better in reviews than Norton and McAfee.

There is no way to keep any computer (PC, Apple or Linux) fully protected from viruses or trojans.

Went to MajorGeeks.com and downloaded several things in reference to malware and viruses. I have Kaspersky as my main computer security, but whatever I've got isn't allowing it to update correctly. I downloaded the following programs:

CCleaner

Defogger

Combofix

RootRepeal

SuperAntiSpyWare

Malwarebytes

My computer is now in the process of allowing me to download Windows1Care so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

ComboFix is free. You may also want to find somewhere that takes HiJack This logs and do a scan and post one up (HiJack This is also free) - it could reveal any other problems your system might have. The whole 'you need to upgrade' thing sounds pretty suspicious.

They ran a chkdsk and got the thing working again. Originally it would give me just a black screen and never log in.

Woah, when did your computer start the black screen deal?

To be fair, viruses on Macs and Linux are much, much more rare...