2010 Run/Pass ratio expectations

bshirt

Well, I figure that we've had 'stables' of running backs before. And when we shut down the O last year to produce that 59% or however run-pass ratio, it was because we were forced to, and it didn't really produce. I think that scenario may happen again, but I'm hopeful that Lee makes a Taylor-like quantum leap in year 2 and we're able to open our offense back up. Which means we will be able to (and consequentially will try to) run a more wide open offense than before.

Granted, if we keep running options and wildcats, that may bring the number back down. And I could see it as a 55 run-pass split going the other way, I just don't really prefer that. I'm buying into Lee, and not into our OL - which, while healthier and more experienced, I don't think will transform into one of the top units in the Big 12 and impose its will a la Arizona. I think we'll continue to see struggles here. I think if we strive offensively this season, we'll see a lot more passing than some might expect.

It's going against the grain which is why I threw the prediction out there. But it's not based on anything more than conjecture and biased by personal preference.

If the Spring Game is any kind of forecast into what we'll be seeing offensively, this year will be drastically different from both last year and '08. I'd say we're upwards of 65% run if not more, given how much zone read we saw, some of it looking like designed QB keep, not to mention midline, sprint option, and even the good old FB trap. The lineman had the biggest splits I've seen outside of Lubbock, but it appears as though we want a dual-threat guy taking snaps, and most passing came off play-action.

I really don't know what to expect, but I'm leaning toward pounding between those big splits and bringing play action out of that.

Well, I figure that we've had 'stables' of running backs before. And when we shut down the O last year to produce that 59% or however run-pass ratio, it was because we were forced to, and it didn't really produce. I think that scenario may happen again, but I'm hopeful that Lee makes a Taylor-like quantum leap in year 2 and we're able to open our offense back up. Which means we will be able to (and consequentially will try to) run a more wide open offense than before.

Granted, if we keep running options and wildcats, that may bring the number back down. And I could see it as a 55 run-pass split going the other way, I just don't really prefer that. I'm buying into Lee, and not into our OL - which, while healthier and more experienced, I don't think will transform into one of the top units in the Big 12 and impose its will a la Arizona. I think we'll continue to see struggles here. I think if we strive offensively this season, we'll see a lot more passing than some might expect.

It's going against the grain which is why I threw the prediction out there. But it's not based on anything more than conjecture and biased by personal preference.

Maybe you're subconsciously factoring in who our O line coach is. :o

I'm curious what changes may take place with our offense this year. Bo has commented about developing a power running game but maybe it was just a casual comment and really doesn't mean much?

We're a fairly balanced offense so far under Bo his first two years...

2009 (512/364) for a 59% run ratio (thanks jliehr)

2008 (486/433) for a 53% run ratio

That's just a small change in running ratio from Callahan's WCO...

2007 (417/481) for a 46% run ratio

2005 (420/444) for a 49% run ratio

Quite a big change from Frank's last year....

2003 (716/192) for a 78% run ratio

I know a lot of posters here have good insight into our coaching schemes and I would appreciate any what (if any) change they see coming this year. Lastly, again if any, would you expect to see a difference depending on who is qb? Maybe a 5% higher run ration with Green? Maybe a 10% higher run ratio with TMart?

Just another something to get us through the next three weeks.

GBR!!

As long as Lee is not running the ball, any ratio is fine. Say 60-40 run

I'm curious what changes may take place with our offense this year. Bo has commented about developing a power running game but maybe it was just a casual comment and really doesn't mean much?

We're a fairly balanced offense so far under Bo his first two years...

2009 (512/364) for a 59% run ratio (thanks jliehr)

2008 (486/433) for a 53% run ratio

That's just a small change in running ratio from Callahan's WCO...

2007 (417/481) for a 46% run ratio

2005 (420/444) for a 49% run ratio

Quite a big change from Frank's last year....

2003 (716/192) for a 78% run ratio

I know a lot of posters here have good insight into our coaching schemes and I would appreciate any what (if any) change they see coming this year. Lastly, again if any, would you expect to see a difference depending on who is qb? Maybe a 5% higher run ration with Green? Maybe a 10% higher run ratio with TMart?

Just another something to get us through the next three weeks.

GBR!!

As long as Lee is not running the ball, any ratio is fine.

Heh....I can't argue with that. Heck, I'll take "anything" but that.

If the Spring Game is any kind of forecast into what we'll be seeing offensively, this year will be drastically different from both last year and '08. I'd say we're upwards of 65% run if not more, given how much zone read we saw, some of it looking like designed QB keep, not to mention midline, sprint option, and even the good old FB trap. The lineman had the biggest splits I've seen outside of Lubbock, but it appears as though we want a dual-threat guy taking snaps, and most passing came off play-action.

I really don't know what to expect, but I'm leaning toward pounding between those big splits and bringing play action out of that.

Granted we also saw a lot of Martinez, Washington, and Kellogg in the spring game too. If Zac is the QB we won't see as much zone read and designed QB runs as we would if Green is the starter.

I'm trying to base this run/pass ratio on who our OC is & what his track record has been. Obviously we know what he's done here at Nebraska, but I got curious about his best season as OC at Colorado in 2001.

Did you know his 2001 squad, which ranked 20th that year with 434 yards/game (& was the 3rd Buffs offense ever to eclipse 2,000 rush yards & 2,000 pass yards in the same season), had a run/pass ratio of 575/311? That's 64.9 % run/35.1% pass.

Look at the roster & you'll see we're facing a similar situation as that 2001 Buffs offense. They had 2 outstanding RBs - Chris Brown & Bobby Purify - & each guy was just 50 yards short of 1,000 rush yards. That could definitely happen with Helu & Rex. Watson relied on a near 50/50 split of PT between his top 2 QBs - Bobby Pesavento & Craig Ochs - & both these guys passed for just over 1200 yards each. Neither of these QBs ran for more than 31 yards, so our QBs will definitely have the advantage there since Watson likes to get our QBs running in the open.

I think these are very interesting similarities we ought ton consider when predicting ratio & overall output of this year's offense. So, I'm pumped to see if Wats can get results mirroring those of his great success in 2001.

+1 Awesome post

I like your point about The 2 CU RBs compared to ours. Personally I predicted a while ago that Helu and Burkhead will combine for 1800. Throw in Tray, I think the 3 of them could combine for 2000. And I would LOVE to see 65% run ratio, that would take pressure off Lee, and open play action. I don't think we're going to be a top 20 offense, but I think like you said, if Wats can emulate this 01 CU model we should at least crack the top 50-60, which with our defense, could make for a hell of a football team.

Is it effing football season yet?!

2001 Colorado offense had a 3rd running back - Cortlen Johnson - who eclipsed 500 rushing yards to go along with Brown & Purify's 1900 yards. The similarities just keep coming.

I'm trying to base this run/pass ratio on who our OC is & what his track record has been. Obviously we know what he's done here at Nebraska, but I got curious about his best season as OC at Colorado in 2001.

Did you know his 2001 squad, which ranked 20th that year with 434 yards/game (& was the 3rd Buffs offense ever to eclipse 2,000 rush yards & 2,000 pass yards in the same season), had a run/pass ratio of 575/311? That's 64.9 % run/35.1% pass.

Look at the roster & you'll see we're facing a similar situation as that 2001 Buffs offense. They had 2 outstanding RBs - Chris Brown & Bobby Purify - & each guy was just 50 yards short of 1,000 rush yards. That could definitely happen with Helu & Rex. Watson relied on a near 50/50 split of PT between his top 2 QBs - Bobby Pesavento & Craig Ochs - & both these guys passed for just over 1200 yards each. Neither of these QBs ran for more than 31 yards, so our QBs will definitely have the advantage there since Watson likes to get our QBs running in the open.

I think these are very interesting similarities we ought ton consider when predicting ratio & overall output of this year's offense. So, I'm pumped to see if Wats can get results mirroring those of his great success in 2001.

+1 Awesome post

I like your point about The 2 CU RBs compared to ours. Personally I predicted a while ago that Helu and Burkhead will combine for 1800. Throw in Tray, I think the 3 of them could combine for 2000. And I would LOVE to see 65% run ratio, that would take pressure off Lee, and open play action. I don't think we're going to be a top 20 offense, but I think like you said, if Wats can emulate this 01 CU model we should at least crack the top 50-60, which with our defense, could make for a hell of a football team.

Is it effing football season yet?!

2001 Colorado offense had a 3rd running back - Cortlen Johnson - who eclipsed 500 rushing yards to go along with Brown & Purify's 1900 yards. The similarities just keep coming.

Do you have any info about that 2001 Colorado Oline? I expect ours to be good, but I don't think they're going to be an 08 Oklahoma Oline or anything.