Band Alums

CMS alum here...I was in the band for the 1883-1986 seasons, god that makes me sound old. At least it was at a pretty good and fun time in the history of NU football and I got to see some great games and make some good road trips...also some painful losses. I was in the pep band in Boulder when McCartney whipped them all up into a frenzy and they snapped our 18 year winning streak against them. Our pep band actually LEFT the game with about 5 minutes to go in the game because it was getting so dangerous. We were getting all sorts of s**t thrown at us. At least they hadn't thought of urine bombs yet.

In the 4 years I was in we hit some pretty good bowl games....Freshman year Orange Bowl vs. Miami (yeah, THAT game). The Miami fans were crap all week leading up to the game. The Orange Bowl then was in the middle of it's big, big halftime productions. They handed out light-sticks to everyone in the crowd to wave around during a part of the show when they turned all the lights off. Of course in the second half, anyone from Miami that was sitting anywhere near us started throwing them at the band. We kept our hats on all 2nd half for our own protection. lol Until the last few years, that was the last year the band took the bus to the bowl game. Wow, what a long ride! Sophomore year was Sugar Bowl vs. LSU. New Orleans on New Years Eve is a blast. Junior Year was Fiesta Bowl against Michigan. That wasn't as big of a deal because it was before the Fiesta Bowl went big time.Their band thought they were so good. We were lining up for the parade and they were all into their high stepping. We had people trying to find a place where they could get sick because of drinking too much the night before. Senior Year was back to the Fiesta Bowl again for another drunken New Year's eve. Oh yeah, we beat LSU again. A pretty nice consolation prize if we couldn't beat Oklahoma!

As far as advice: you're getting in at a good time...just as the team is about to become memorable again. I think you're going to have a lot of good stories to tell in years to come. Make good friends, have fun, laugh at some of the people who take it all TOO seriously.

I joke with friends that I actually have fallen asleep on the N on the 50 yard line, getting there early for one of the 6:30 a.m. practices somebody always schedules when you think a show is falling apart.

The band is a good time and a great way to get to the games and bowl games for free. Another piece of advice...don't freeze your ass off too much for those early practices in mid November!!! BRRRRR.

As a third year student (not in the marching band), one of my room mates is in the Pit. The only advice I can give you is to make sure you get enough sleep. Having to be at practice at 7:00 a.m. every morning can be a drag. But hey, you get to go to football games for free and bowl games for free. If you're a big fan, that's a nice trade off.

CMS alum here...I was in the band for the 1883-1986 seasons,

:blink::blink::blink:

:rollin Man he has accomplished a lot in his life. Fighting in the Civil War and playing in the Husker marching band during the bugeater eras up until the glory days, nice! Is Abe Lincoln a football fan?

The Civil War started in 1861 and ended in 1865...good attempt though, Po.

CMS alum here...I was in the band for the 1883-1986 seasons,

blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

cmlaugh.gif Man he has accomplished a lot in his life. Fighting in the Civil War and playing in the Husker marching band during the bugeater eras up until the glory days, nice! Is Abe Lincoln a football fan?

The Civil War started in 1861 and ended in 1865...good attempt though, Po.

Dangit, Cacti! You above everyone else should know that it wasn't the Civil War, it was the War Between the States!laugh.gif