Big Ten teams WANT Nebraska as a (the) rival

huKSer

Barry wants NU. Iowa fans want us. I've been on M and OS boards and they tend to want to play NU. Don't know, but I think PS would like to play us every year.

Why?

Could be the excitement of something new

Or. . . .

My sneaky suspicion is that they think Nebraska will boost their "poll rep", but they think Nebraska really isn't going to be that tough. Put it this way, none of the top tier teams are running away from us.

Thoughts?

Barry wants Nebraska because he's a former Husker.

Michigan and Nebraska have always had some sort of small, natural dislike for each other because we both were extremely good during the same time frame. Also, both of us were upset after the 1997 year and having to split the title, which is why some people dubbed our 2005 Alamo Bowl meeting as the game to finally settle the score.

Iowa fans want us because you know how we all are. Nebraska fans says Iowa is crap, Iowa fans say Nebraska is crap. We end up playing them and we end up beating them, and I think they want to change that. :laughpound

Penn State and Nebraska (more-so on Penn State's end) have a small dislike for each other because we got the title in 1994 and they didn't. They blame it on Osborne being the "sentimental pick" that year.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

As for Ohio State——Great team, but tOSU just doesn't excite me for some reason. Maybe I have an undiagnosed aversion to sweater vests. I’d rather meet them in the conf championship. And since I’d prefer Ohio State in the other division, I would want Michigan in the other division also—so as not to break up the tOSU/MU rivalry.

Isn't Ohio State's style of play closest to Nebraska's style?

Hey Coqui :wave:

I would say so. Ultimately, when tOSU plays UNL; then it's going to be one helluva hard hitting contest! The way football should be played.

As a college football fan I understand completely why everyone in the Big Ten wants Nebraska as a rival. Awesome, awesome match ups. The school administrators see awesome, awesome revenue games. But to me what the Big Ten and Delaney want is to capitalize on these huge match ups right out of the gates. They know how huge these games will be TV wise and want to open up the 'new' Big Ten with a bang. Steal some thunder from early season match ups in the SEC as well I would imagine. That is who the Big Ten feels is their real competition going forward imo. Put UNL vs. TOSU, then Wiscy, then PSU and M*ch*g*n. I'd have to look, but will one of these match ups go head to head with Florida/Tenn (one of the SEC's first "big brand" games of the year)? Alabama/LSU? I don't know, but that's how I'd schedule it. Steal the spotlight. Then all the attention is on the Big Ten for a couple years while the Nebraska thing is still new to everyone and then finally bring in ND with the threat that we won't schedule them anymore once we hit the 9 game conference schedule. That's what I see as the "plan" here...imho

I know, I covered several different topics from other threads. Sorry about that. :lol:

As for Ohio StateGreat team, but tOSU just doesn't excite me for some reason. Maybe I have an undiagnosed aversion to sweater vests. Id rather meet them in the conf championship. And since Id prefer Ohio State in the other division, I would want Michigan in the other division alsoso as not to break up the tOSU/MU rivalry.

Isn't Ohio State's style of play closest to Nebraska's style?

Hey Coqui :wave:

I would say so. Ultimately, when tOSU plays UNL; then it's going to be one helluva hard hitting contest! The way football should be played.

Lots of players are going to be slow getting up the next morning LOL

As a college football fan I understand completely why everyone in the Big Ten wants Nebraska as a rival. Awesome, awesome match ups. The school administrators see awesome, awesome revenue games. But to me what the Big Ten and Delaney want is to capitalize on these huge match ups right out of the gates. They know how huge these games will be TV wise and want to open up the 'new' Big Ten with a bang. Steal some thunder from early season match ups in the SEC as well I would imagine. That is who the Big Ten feels is their real competition going forward imo. Put UNL vs. TOSU, then Wiscy, then PSU and M*ch*g*n. I'd have to look, but will one of these match ups go head to head with Florida/Tenn (one of the SEC's first "big brand" games of the year)? Alabama/LSU? I don't know, but that's how I'd schedule it. Steal the spotlight. Then all the attention is on the Big Ten for a couple years while the Nebraska thing is still new to everyone and then finally bring in ND with the threat that we won't schedule them anymore once we hit the 9 game conference schedule. That's what I see as the "plan" here...imho

I know, I covered several different topics from other threads. Sorry about that. :lol:

Well, you know the Big10 1,000 times better than I do.

But yeah, sounds like a good plan. I see we don't play the bottom feeders until our 3rd year there. lol! That's fine....more TVs showing the Big10 is makes sense!