Iowa Thanksgiving?

corncraze

I like the Iowa game. But then again half of my family is Hawkeye fans so it will make Thanksgiving more interesting.

NU has played Iowa 40 times throughout history which is the second most for any Non Conference opponent that NU has ever played (Minnesota is #1 at 51 games)

Oklahoma now has Texas (which I still hate to say)

OU has NOW had Texas since 1900, which is before they started playing NU.

Also if the NU/OU “rivalry” meant the same to both sides they wouldn’t have voted against inter-divisional rivals when the Big 12 was formed. We would have stayed on each others schedules every year. That didn’t happen so that just proves that no matter what people want to believe we were always their #2 behind Texas.

That game was huge just ask Switzer, we were #1 until he left

The OU fans I know have always said that Texas was their most hated rival and NU was their most respected rival.

Here's how I see the rivalry situation in the new Big 10: Iowa will be a lot like our Colorado, as people have mentioned already. Iowa will insist they are rivals with us, Nebraska fans will do all we can to deny it. Our real rivalry, and a team we already have had some controversy tied in with good games against will be Penn State. They will be like our old Oklahoma rival--a rivalry built out of respect, tradition, and hard-nosed football. I would love to see Penn State as our Thanksgiving rivalry. Both schools need that. Penn State seems to kind of have been the odd man out since joining the Big 10.

The big argument against this is that there is too much distance between the schools to be a rivalry. Well, there's quite a bit of distance between South Bend Indiana and Los Angeles California. There was a pretty good distance even between Lincoln, Nebraska and Norman Oklahoma. Don't get me wrong, Iowa will be a good game, just like Colorado is usually a good game, but the Nebraska-Penn St. rivalry just makes more sense.

Here's how I see the rivalry situation in the new Big 10: Iowa will be a lot like our Colorado, as people have mentioned already. Iowa will insist they are rivals with us, Nebraska fans will do all we can to deny it. Our real rivalry, and a team we already have had some controversy tied in with good games against will be Penn State. They will be like our old Oklahoma rival--a rivalry built out of respect, tradition, and hard-nosed football. I would love to see Penn State as our Thanksgiving rivalry. Both schools need that. Penn State seems to kind of have been the odd man out since joining the Big 10.

The big argument against this is that there is too much distance between the schools to be a rivalry. Well, there's quite a bit of distance between South Bend Indiana and Los Angeles California. There was a pretty good distance even between Lincoln, Nebraska and Norman Oklahoma. Don't get me wrong, Iowa will be a good game, just like Colorado is usually a good game, but the Nebraska-Penn St. rivalry just makes more sense.

Thank u!

I think we should just wait and see with these rivalries. If Iowa continues to play at a high level we could easily develop a rivalry with them with our geography but that doesn't mean we have to or will. We could also easily develop a rivalry with Michigan or Penn State.

:yeah I think that it will just depend on how some of the initial games goes with teams from our division. Eventually one will surely step out and be the "Rivalry" that everyone is looking for. I am not in a hurry to set up a rivalry to have it be nothing but a dud. I think we are going to have a lot of competition in the Big Ten, something that we never really had from the Big 12 or the Big 8 when it came to the conference schedule. If there is a patsy on our schedule every year in the Big Ten, there are those that would point to Northwestern...but I would warn them that even they have risen to the occasion and bit a contender when least expected. This is not going to be an easy conference for anyone.