Pelini delivers parting shots

Sounds like he wouldve probably stayed as DC after all. if SP wouldnt have jerked him around that is. I know it was ultimately BC's decision, but it sounds as if SP got his ego rubbed the wrong way by Bo somwhere along the way.

Some highlights from the article.

Bo Pelini said he "never had a chance" to become Nebraska's head coach and that his interview with NU Athletic Director Steve Pederson was merely a formality.

"It wasn't an interview," Pelini said, "I've been interviewed before. I wouldn't call that an interview."

"one day he (SP) stopped talking to me. I have no idea (why)."

I want to be a head coach someday," Pelini said, "but it's not something I'm consumed with. If it happens, it happens.

*see, probly wudnt have caused him to leave.

*And my favorite of them all:

Right now I'm in the best situation. I want to win national championships. I want to be around quality people, from players to coaches, which is what I had here.

"But in administration as well, I know I'll have that at Oklahoma." :huh: thats weird, what gave him the idea we dont have quality admin at NU???

rc

full article:

Published Sunday

January 18, 2004

Pelini delivers parting shots

BY ELIZABETH MERRILL

Bo Pelini said he "never had a chance" to become Nebraska's head coach and that his interview with NU Athletic Director Steve Pederson was merely a formality.

"It wasn't an interview," Pelini said Saturday night, hours after he took a job as Oklahoma's co-defensive coordinator. "I've been interviewed before. I wouldn't call that an interview."

Pelini, who served as Nebraska's interim head coach after Frank Solich was fired on Nov. 29, said he knew he had "no chance" to become the Cornhuskers' coach when Pederson didn't fly back with the team after its 17-3 win over Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl on Dec. 29.

He interviewed for the job on Jan. 7, and two days later, Pederson officially announced the hire of former Oakland Raiders Coach Bill Callahan.

On Monday, Callahan didn't retain seven members of the staff, including Pelini.

In a press conference announcing Callahan's hire, Pederson said his interviews with Pelini and NU Assistant Turner Gill weren't token talks. UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman said he was convinced Pelini would be a good head coach someday, but Callahan's experience won over.

Pelini said he didn't know of any personality conflicts with Pederson, but "one day he stopped talking to me. I have no idea (why)."

Pederson wasn't available for comment late Saturday.

In the 41 days of Pederson's search, the first-year A.D. was faced with a strong element of fans who wanted Pelini to be the guy. Signs that said, "We want Bo," went up in Omaha. A similar chant filled the Alamodome in the waning seconds of the Huskers' win.

"I want to be a head coach someday," Pelini said, "but it's not something I'm consumed with. If it happens, it happens.

"Right now I'm in the best situation. I want to win national championships. I want to be around quality people, from players to coaches, which is what I had here.

"But in administration as well, I know I'll have that at Oklahoma."

Talk of Pelini's move to Oklahoma has been swirling for at least a month. He's childhood friends with OU Coach Bob Stoops, and in the Sooners' national championship game at the Sugar Bowl earlier this month, Pelini stood on the OU sidelines.

He was courted by the New York Jets earlier this week, and some thought the nine-year NFL assistant would go back to the pro ranks.

Pelini said he enjoyed the college game too much.

He'll coach the defensive backs and share the coordinator title with Brent Venables, who has been elevated to associate head coach.

Pelini said he consulted with his wife, Mary Pat, before making a decision. Though he was only at Nebraska for a year, Pelini said he had no regrets and that he'd come to Lincoln all over again.

"It was a great year," he said. "I wouldn't change anything.

"I enjoyed my time at Nebraska, but it's time to move on. I enjoyed the fans. They were great to me and my family. Nothing against anybody, but the circumstances changed. It's time to move on."

Pelini said he'll talk to his former players and probably head down to Norman, Okla., within the next 10 days.

Nebraska plays Oklahoma on Nov. 13.

"I look forward to playing everybody," Pelini said. "But that game will be fun. It will be special."

• 6 years later...

After reading things like this, i just sit and wonder whats goin thru Pedersons and Cally's head. What Osborne and Devaney took 40 years to build, they wrecked in 4 by literally changing everything, and now Bo has it all but restored in a little over 2, including the offensive mindset. Tell me we aint got made in the shade right now. :koolaid2: