Man, was I WRONG......

formerfan

still kinda waiting on some proof from BC and co. that so many promised......... didnt see the game, but score kinda says alot, plus what everyone has said doesnt make me feel anymore comfortable about what is happening. first game of the season yea, but yea against maine starters probably should have played a little over a half and been done, not hacking on maine, its just the way it should have been. the pitt game will tell you alot about this team, compared with another "rebuilding" program. ND pretty well just handed pitt their ass, and if the huskers struggle or lose everyone should realize how far off the pace we really are, but if they win it might say some good things, like we are staying on pace with other schools that are going through growing pains. anyways im staying kinda neutral still, but still waiting and wanting for some sign of improvement by this staff on last year IMO.

Everyone is talking about nd but the prior coach ran the WCO had 3 years of recruiting not to big of switch to the spread. Unlike going from a quaterback up the gut team to the WCO. My Prediction is like 8 wins 3 loses another stellar recruiting class, give talyor a year in the off. hopefully we have a fun ride back to the top!

Everyone is talking about nd but the prior coach ran the WCO had 3 years of recruiting not to big of switch to the spread! Unlike going from a quaterback up the gut team to the WCO! 

im just using them as an example, not really comparing offenses, but if ya want to ND was almost as run oriented as NU in the 90's, remeber a guy named lou holtz? a guy that also ran option quite frequently when he had the QB to do so? its taken them quite a while to adjust, thats why im giving this time. im hoping we dont have to go through 3 coaches like they have so far to make things go. the reason i brought them up was because they are in a similar position we are and happen to be playing pitt, who is on our schedule. im just suggesting we use them as a measuring stick of sorts.

I am sorry you don't understand english.

:rollin:rollin:rollin

Funny, for a guy who said that the word "managed" means the same thing as "average." :blink: Got to the Woodshed and see what other members think about your English skills. Dude, you have NO room to talk.

I said i was taking a break from posting for a couple of weeks

Dang it, I admit, that is what you said. I guess I was just hoping that you wouldnt comeback :thumbs

"I feel sorry for you that you have to put the team and the coaches down just so you can feel better about yourself."

I only said what was my (and many others') opinion on the team, and I was sorry to do it. As for the coaches, I dont feel better about pointing out how bad they are, I would feel better if they left the state. Quite frankly, it doesnt make me feel good at all, the whole thing leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. But I wouldnt expect you to understand that. :dumdum

But I guess that "real fans" like you enjoy watching your team underachieve and accept being lied to. <_<

Everyone is talking about nd but the prior coach ran the WCO had 3 years of recruiting not to big of switch to the spread! Unlike going from a quaterback up the gut team to the WCO! 

im just using them as an example, not really comparing offenses, but if ya want to ND was almost as run oriented as NU in the 90's, remeber a guy named lou holtz? a guy that also ran option quite frequently when he had the QB to do so? its taken them quite a while to adjust, thats why im giving this time. im hoping we dont have to go through 3 coaches like they have so far to make things go. the reason i brought them up was because they are in a similar position we are and happen to be playing pitt, who is on our schedule. im just suggesting we use them as a measuring stick of sorts.

But ND has a good, successful coach.

But ND has a good, successful coach.

one of the things that should be considered when measuring. :thumbs

Most felt when Ty got the axe he was going to turn it around this year. He was running a WCO, or close to. He had the talent there to do it and Weis stepped in and put it all together. I think ND will do well this year, but I think they would have done well this year if Ty was still there to. Same with Zook at Florida.

The one question I had about ND was the ability to recruit talent that could make the academic standards. Weis seems to be doing a great job on the recruiting field, but will they qualify will be the question.

I still do not feel the talent is at Nebraska to be a dominant force. I think we are still another couple of years away. I hope I am wrong. But I doubt with losses this year we will make big inroads on recruiting. This is a make or break year for this staff I now think. I had thought they would be given 5 years, but I do not feel that now. A win is a win but there will rumbling about it I am sure.

I only said what was my (and many others') opinion on the team, and I was sorry to do it. As for the coaches, I dont feel better about pointing out how bad they are, I would feel better if they left the state. Quite frankly, it doesnt make me feel good at all, the whole thing leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. But I wouldnt expect you to understand that

That's funny considering people have been saying you have criticized the team from the begining of last year. If you think you know so much about coaching by continuing to knock on Cally for doing this and not doing that, why aren't you coaching in DIV-A? There's a thin line between being critical of the team but still supporting them and wishing the team would fail completly just because you hate the coach for whatever personal reasons, and you have clearly taken the latter. Just because you hate Pederson, that means you have the right to hate Callahan just because he was hired by Pederson? That's a pretty pathetic way for you and anyone else who thinks that way to live their life. But here is the cool thing about your hatred towards Callahan. You hate him so much, yet he doesn't even know you exist, so basically the only one that's getting eaten up by all this hatred is you. How does it make you feel to know you have so much hatred, yet he doesn't even care of know you exist?

Callahan wants to succeed. He certainly doesn't want to lose games. Getting fired will not help BC find a job anywhere else in the country (look at Solich's hard time landing a job). BC has a point when he refers to USC's success with the WCO. When it clicks with the proper personnel, it can be pretty unstoppable. Our players also want to win. They certainly don't put up a lackluster effort because they don't care. Maine has shown they can step up in big games (at least we weren't Mississippi State last year). Have patience. I'm guessing that if things don't work out by the end of next season, we will have a new coaching staff.

USC is a carbon copy of what Callahan is trying to do according to Callahan. You are right, once we get the right personal, we will be unstoppable. We need 1 more good recruiting class and several of these new guys to step up (some have already like Frantz, Octavien for example) but you need both the offensive and defensive units to be like a well oiled machine

I agree with Hunter here - playcalling is the order of the day at this point, I think.

I'm certain that by now, there's an available package of plays the team can go to and execute. If they can't execute a particular play, then I have to question its place in the playbook.

And, to strengthen what Hunter said - if an available and reasonable play can't be called at the correct down and distance, who's ultimately responsible for that? Passing from the 1? Strings of Run/Run/Pass/Punt?

I just have to groan and think "Oh Lord...not again".

I've never been a fan of bringing the WCO to college because of it's ostensible complexity and over-reliance on a comparably immature QB to make reads and checkoff at the line. However, after seeing the Pats offense executed pretty well by ND last week, I'm starting to think that this "3 years to install an offense" bit is false and perhaps a college QB *can* manage a complex playbook.

Remeber that Carroll and Chow took over a 5-6 team and in 1 year installed the WCO (going 6-6) and then 11-2 the following year and haven't looked back. What we want to happen (that the Huskers will become an Offensive juggernaut) can happen and has happened. I'm just hoping that it *will* happen.

I really hope Calahan and Co. step it up this week for the Wake game and that Saturday's game was just jitters and cobwebs getting worked out. They might be playing their capabilities close to their vest at the moment during non-conf play, which is fine. But eventually, given the hunger Huskers fans have had for signs of progress, he and the team are just going to have to impress us a bit before Oct. 1st and Iowa St.

Next week will be a better game, I suspect. Don't overlook Wake - Vanderbilt might not be a powerhouse, but the Vandy/Wake rivalry is pretty strong so don't underestimate the level of play Vandy brought into that game. It was a loss for the Deacons, but that doesn't mean a patsy will be rolling into town.

Given a more "respectible" opponent (no offense Bear people - but a IAA school doesn't usually inspire players to go all out in IA) I think the emotional level will be much higher than last week. If the Blackshirts stay aggressive, Ross protects the ball, the play calling improves and Taylor calms down a bit (all very easily addressed things) the Big Red ought to be in a place to get past this non-conf part of the schedule at 3-0 and be ready for the Big-12.

Keeping the faith here, guys.

GBR!

IRISH!

That's funny considering people have been saying you have criticized the team from the begining of last year.

Another false statement by you. I have been VERY critical of the staff and administration, but I have rarely criticized the players unless they have really played poorly. If you ever cared to pay attention, I place about 98% of the blame where it should, with those running the program. I have a hard time of being critical of 18-22 year old kids, unlike "REAL" fans like yourself, who have cussed and besmirched guys like Dailey and Lord. <_<

If you think you know so much about coaching by continuing to knock on Cally for doing this and not doing that, why aren't you coaching in DIV-A?

The same could be said for you :wacko:

There's a thin line between being critical of the team but still supporting them and wishing the team would fail completly just because you hate the coach for whatever personal reasons, and you have clearly taken the latter.

Since you have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that Auburn did not win a NC under Tuberville, I wouldnt expect you to understand what I have said in regards to the staff/AD.

Just because you hate Pederson, that means you have the right to hate Callahan just because he was hired by Pederson?

Actually, I dont hate any of them, I dont believe in hate. Hate is reserved for people like terrorists, but I do believe in having a dislike for someone or something.

And I didnt dislike pud until he hired a bad coach like billy c. and lied to all of us about it.

That's a pretty pathetic way for you and anyone else who thinks that way to live their life

Those in glass houses........

But here is the cool thing about your hatred towards Callahan. You hate him so much, yet he doesn't even know you exist, so basically the only one that's getting eaten up by all this hatred is you. How does it make you feel to know you have so much hatred, yet he doesn't even care of know you exist?

Funny coming from a guy that hates me so much, he has to weakly and feebly respond to all of my post :rollin

BC has a point when he refers to USC's success with the WCO.

For the last time people, USC DOES NOT run the West Coast Offense. But dont take my word for it, take Carson Palmers word.....

USC's Palmer thinks new offense is a perfect fit

June 4, 2001

Jeff D'Alessio

The Sporting News

New coach. New offense. New Carson Palmer? USC fans hope so. Palmer, who was picked off 18 times last year in Paul Hackett's West Coast offense, is hoping for a breakthrough junior season under Pete Carroll and new offensive coordinator Norm Chow. The 6-5 Palmer has had his moments in two years as the Trojans' starter, racking up 5,159 passing yards, the most for a USC quarterback at the end of his sophomore year. In the latest installment of One-on-One, Palmer talks about expectations, country music and Dr. Seuss.

TSN: Compare your new offense to the one you ran last year.

CP: They're completely different. The West Coast offense is an NFL-style offense. It's very complex and takes a while to learn. Coach Chow's offense is very different. It's very basic. He pretty much taught it to me in two weeks. The West Coast offense takes three years to learn. We've already put in everything we have in Coach Chow's offense. In this new offense, there's no seven-step drops. Everything is about getting rid of the ball quick. If you hitch twice, you're wrong in this offense. In the West Coast offense, you're taking a lot of five-step drops and hitching a couple times and trying to find the third guy. This offense, all you're doing is dropping back and getting rid of the ball as fast as you can.

TSN: Sounds like you prefer the new offense.

CP: It's better for this team. The West Coast offense is tough to run in college football. To do it, you've got to have every guy at every position. You've got to have the tight end that can run down the field, receivers for this down and for this pattern and a certain type of running back. This offense is suited to what you have. If you have a good receiver, you're going to run this play. If you have a back that can't do this, you're not going to run this play.