Top Ten that really matters!

Caven

I hear Ohio State doesn't have such an impressive tailgate scene, and from looking around the campus, I think the fact that it is urban inhibits a lot of tailgating. I've tailgated at Wisconsin, USC, Colorado, and Yale, and I would put them in order like this:

Wisconsin >>>>> USC > Yale (quite impressive actually, especially against Harvard) >> Colorado

Looking forward to tailgating at Ohio State soon and I'll let you guys know how it compares. Wisconsin was truly amazing, by the way. Yale is great because all of the tailgating takes place on green fields nestled near the bowl and not actual parking lots, so it is really a great picnic atmosphere. Lots of room to throw the football around and what not. The walk to the bowl is also very cool.

I found a great Big Ten tailgate guide at an Ohio State tailgate site:

http://www.cletusfest.org/bigten.htm

They review the tailgate experience at all Big Ten schools. Here is how they rate them (they have a guide explaining why):

Wisconsin: :star :star :star :star :star

Penn State: :star :star :star :star :star

Minnesota: :star :star :star :star

Ohio State: :star :star :star :star

Michigan State: :star :star :star :star

M*ch*gan: :star :star :star

Purdue: :star :star :star

Illinois: :star :star

Northwestern: :star :star

Iowa: :star (EDIT: It appears their Iowa review got mixed up with their Indiana review somehow. This can't be right.)

Indiana: :star

I hear Ohio State doesn't have such an impressive tailgate scene, and from looking around the campus, I think the fact that it is urban inhibits a lot of tailgating.

Not sure what kind of experience you're looking for but tailgating is a blast on campus. Sure there's buildings......but that just means multiple levels of tailgating. All down Lane Ave. (for up to about a mile away from the stadium) there's huge tailgating events. I see some of the same tailgaters year in and year out in the same locations.

Add to the Heineygate, Ohio State River Jam Tailgate Party, and various other corporate sponsored parties and you have more options.

Then just walking through Buckeye Grove, hanging out near the rotunda, Skull Session, etc. They all make for an awesome experience.