Solich and his debut

I guess you don't understand what Nebraska football USED to be about.  It USED to be about MORE THAN WINNING when we had Coach Solich.

Again, icon_bs.gif

You can't tell me you haven't cussed a Nebraska coach for doing something that you didn't agree with, and thus we lost a game. But why did it matter if it wasn't all about winning? Exactly, it is all about winning. That's why we play the game. To win.

I love how it isn't about winning with some fans after Callahan got here. It's BS. It's always been about winning and it will always be about winning. If you think Nebraska is any different in that department, you're fooling yourself.

Did Solich ever run off 10+ players in one year? How about slash the walk-on program? How about not letting some guys not take the field with the rest of the team for warm-ups? Did Solich ever deny the 3s and 4s the opportunity to do the Friday walk-thru? Did Solich's staff ever constantly yell in players faces, berating them far beyond any humanly acceptable point of humiliation? When players requested to speak with Solich, was he at least courteous enough to return their calls or agree to meet with them? Did Solich spout off to the media about "We take what we want" or did he let th play on the field do the talking? Did Solich ever undermine the current players by telling the papers "help is on the way" in the current recruting class?

These things aren't about wins and losses but rather about how you treat people. Clearly, the Solich regime was about MORE THAN WINNING and the Callahan era is, well, the Callahan era.

Did Solich ever run off 10+ players in one year?  How about slash the walk-on program?  How about not letting some guys not take the field with the rest of the team for warm-ups?  Did Solich ever deny the 3s and 4s the opportunity to do the Friday walk-thru?  Did Solich's staff ever constantly yell in players faces, berating them far beyond any humanly acceptable point of humiliation?  When players requested to speak with Solich, was he at least courteous enough to return their calls or agree to meet with them?  Did Solich spout off to the media about "We take what we want" or did he let th play on the field do the talking?  Did Solich ever undermine the current players by telling the papers "help is on the way" in the current recruting class?

These things aren't about wins and losses but rather about how you treat people.  Clearly, the Solich regime was about MORE THAN WINNING and the Callahan era is, well, the Callahan era.

Would you like a tissue??

dedhoarse

Did Solich ever run off 10+ players in one year?

He never ran off any players. Some of those players were either a) lucky to have Div 1-A scholarships or B) decided to quit football all togther. You can't go through a coaching change like this and not lose players. You can't.

How about slash the walk-on program?

Maybe he should have. Is there a good reason to have upwards of 130 players on the roster?

How about not letting some guys not take the field with the rest of the team for warm-ups?

Yes, that was a mistake. He apologized. End of story.

Did Solich's staff ever constantly yell in players faces, berating them far beyond any humanly acceptable point of humiliation? 
Cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it. I take it every coach you have had handed out blow-pops and orange slices after every practice?

Clearly, the Solich regime was about MORE THAN WINNING and the Callahan era is, well, the Callahan era.

The Solich regime was about being one step behind at all times. He had 6 years to show what he could do. He couldn't. Now he coaches at Ohio.

We're approaching two years here folks and it got old a year ago.

He never ran off any players. Some of those players were either a) lucky to have Div 1-A scholarships or B) decided to quit football all togther. You can't go through a coaching change like this and not lose players. You can't.

Maybe he should have. Is there a good reason to have upwards of 130 players on the roster?

How about not letting some guys not take the field with the rest of the team for warm-ups?

Yes, that was a mistake. He apologized. End of story.

Did Solich's staff ever constantly yell in players faces, berating them far beyond any humanly acceptable point of humiliation? 
Cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it. I take it every coach you have had handed out blow-pops and orange slices after every practice?

Clearly, the Solich regime was about MORE THAN WINNING and the Callahan era is, well, the Callahan era.

The Solich regime was about being one step behind at all times. He had 6 years to show what he could do. He couldn't. Now he coaches at Ohio.

We're approaching two years here folks and it got old a year ago.

Woa .. that was a knockout blow. :box

Nope, he just kept kids around like Richie Incognito who kept giving the university a black eye with his constant spitting on opponents, fighting with team mates and getting ejected. Nothing major right?

Nope, he just decided to keep 187 players on the team by not cutting down the walkon program a little bit. No coach in his right mind can manage a roster that huge. Even Tom Osborne cut the limit on the walkons and made sure the roster never went past the 140 player mark. Callahan cut it down to 120 players. Big deal, he cut it by 20 players and did not keep players around thinking they MIGHT play when in reality, they were never going to play. Giving a human false hopes is a dangerous thing. It can drive a man insane.

Callahan corrected it, Solich didn't really care because he did not know how to manage a team as i mentioned already. A team is like a business and players are like employees. You need to keep track of your employees at all times.

Let me guess, you are going to claim Callahan or his staff did right? Callahan is the calmest person on the sideline (with the exception of the OU game but it was justified in my opinion). Please reference a article where the coaching staff belittled anyone on the team.

Did Solich spout off to the media about "We take what we want" or did he let th play on the field do the talking?

Naw, he just let his players make idiotic statements to the press like "WE will NOT lose to Iowa St next week" and then end up losing.

I will take winning over anything else. I could care less about anything else but winning. If you don't want to give 100% and think you can be a distraction to the team, and not a team player, goodbye and don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you

Nope, he just kept kids around like Richie Incognito who kept giving the university a black eye with his constant spitting on opponents, fighting with team mates and getting ejected. Nothing major right?

Did Richie get any help with these issues? Did he and his parents try to contact the coaching staff to see if an agreement or parameters could be worked out that, if met, Richie could be allowed back on the team? Did Callahan ever return phone calls from the Incognito family when they requested to only talk about the situation?

Answer these questions and then ask yourself if this is the way Nebraskans treat people.

Nope, he just decided to keep 187 players on the team by not cutting down the walkon program a little bit. No coach in his right mind can manage a roster that huge. Even Tom Osborne cut the limit on the walkons and made sure the roster never went past the 140 player mark. Callahan cut it down to 120 players. Big deal, he cut it by 20 players and did not keep players around thinking they MIGHT play when in reality, they were never going to play. Giving a human false hopes is a dangerous thing. It can drive a man insane.

I'm glad you and Callahan can predict the future. Since we all seem to be throwing out anecdotes, I'll join the game. Jeff Makovica never thought he would play significant minutes but gave it his best shot and look what happened. But hey, we don't need hard-working guys like that on our team.

Callahan corrected it, Solich didn't really care because he did not know how to manage a team as i mentioned already. A team is like a business and players are like employees. You need to keep track of your employees at all times.

Callahan may have corrected it, but did he learn from the mistake? Or does he still do things that make those lower on the depth chart feel like second class citizens?

Let me guess, you are going to claim Callahan or his staff did right? Callahan is the calmest person on the sideline (with the exception of the OU game but it was justified in my opinion). Please reference a article where the coaching staff belittled anyone on the team.

Elmo is notorious for yelling at players. Busch used to as well but was told to tone it down and to his credit, he did. These things are common knowledge. Ask those who attended practice last year. Finally, if posting articles is the standard of proof we have on the message board, then why even have the board? Let's just read that GI Indep., LJS, and OWH and take what they say at face value. No need to discuss things on a message board.

Did Solich spout off to the media about "We take what we want" or did he let th play on the field do the talking?

Naw, he just let his players make idiotic statements to the press like "WE will NOT lose to Iowa St next week" and then end up losing.

Callahan says, "We take what we want" and you cite an example of a PLAYER shooting off his mouth. Maybe it's just me but I expect more from my coaching staff than I do from 18-22 year old kids.

I will take winning over anything else. I could care less about anything else but winning. If you don't want to give 100% and think you can be a distraction to the team, and not a team player, goodbye and don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you

That's great that you like winning above all else. Many Nebraska fans held the belief that what was special about NU was the way it conducted "business." It took care of it's employees and still managed to have a great deal of success. For example, I was proud of the way the team played in the 1993 Orange Bowl vs. FSU even though NU lost. I thought they played hard, but, I guess since you only like to win you probably hated that team and that game.

Additionally, if you like winning so much then why did you imply that you agreed with the decision to dismiss Incognito from the team? Certainly someone who likes winning above all else would not want to dismiss the best OL from the team last year, right? At the outset of this post you are worried about the U getting a black eye but at the end of the post you could care less about anything but winning. Which is it?

Did Richie get any help with these issues? Did he and his parents try to contact the coaching staff to see if an agreement or parameters could be worked out that, if met, Richie could be allowed back on the team? Did Callahan ever return phone calls from the Incognito family when they requested to only talk about the situation?

Answer these questions and then ask yourself if this is the way Nebraskans treat people.

He was a FRIGGEN NUTCASE! And if the "ole mighty Frankie" was such a "nice" fella and coach why couldn't he land a Div 2 coaching job???!!! I will tell ya....because Those Colleges seen exactly what we saw. A guy letting the times pass him up! Look at some of these other Coaches and watch on the sidelines. Tell me they don't chew a kid up and spit him out for making a stupid mistake. I will give you a few names. Lou Holtz. Hell I remember him reaching up and grabbing a kids face mask and leading him around the sidelines for laying on some BS late hit! Ok here's another. Joe Paterno. That guy has probably spewed out 500 gallons of spit yelling at his kids. And your comment about BC saying "we will take what we want". What was he supposed to say...Do his best Jim Mora impression..."We Suck! Our Offense Sucks, our Defense Sucks, WE JUST SUCK!"?

Did Richie get any help with these issues?  Did he and his parents try to contact the coaching staff to see if an agreement or parameters could be worked out that, if met, Richie could be allowed back on the team?

Richie got help at the same place Larry Phillips got help. It didn't work for either of them. Cooton wanted to give Richie the boot in 03 but Frankie wouldn't let him. Callahan gave Richie a second chance and he got in a fight with a teammate at practice. If Richie was going to be able to change how come he never was part of the Oregon team?

Actually how do Nebraskans treat people? Is it by getting petitions started to try and fire Devaney, Osborne, or McBride? Is it by harassing Cosgroves kids? Is it by booing Frost, Lord, or Dailey? How about booing Pederson during Bob Brown's jersey retirement ceremony? How is it again the Nebraskans treat people?

If we are beating dead horses. dedhoarse Did anyone notice Iowa State threw the ball 41 times on Saturday? Solich wasn't calling the plays in 03 was he? :wacko:

Callahan may have corrected it, but did he learn from the mistake? Or does he still do things that make those lower on the depth chart feel like second class citizens?

Why don't you answer those questions? It'd certainly give your point some meaning. Or can't you?