With hindsight being 20/20

NUpolo8

The desicion to withhold the starting QB until the first game was absolutely the correct one. Sure it annoyed the vast majority of this board, and quite a few members of the press, but it allowed Martinez' abilities to speak for themselves first and not his mouth for that entire week leading up to the game.

I think now it's pretty damn obvious he was the choice early on. Tough for Green and Lee, sure but the staff let everyone else see what they saw and the choice was going to be as obvious for anyone with eyes and a brain.

Executive summary: The Pelini's are smarter than you.

Agree that the Pelinis are smarter than me. Also agree that this was, BY FAR, the correct decision. "Lee in the doghouse" may be true, but even if he weren't, he wouldn't be starting. Martinez is just that good.

One caveat - Bo's "no talking to the press until you've played in a game" policy would have sheltered Taylor from the press if they had announced it Monday of game week.

I'm baffled by this Lee in the doghouse thing. At the end of the day, the kid doesn't get his nose dirty (I don't think). I really believe its a desicion that Martinez is better and Green, being a sophomore is clearly the future.

And if he annouced it and then stonewalled the press, it would have been a press riot rife with speculative articles not unlike a message board. Hell, you might have seen a "Lee in the Doghouse?" article in the Journal Star.

Agree that the Pelinis are smarter than me. Also agree that this was, BY FAR, the correct decision. "Lee in the doghouse" may be true, but even if he weren't, he wouldn't be starting. Martinez is just that good.

One caveat - Bo's "no talking to the press until you've played in a game" policy would have sheltered Taylor from the press if they had announced it Monday of game week.

It would have protected Martinez, but the rest of the players would be totally bombarded with questions about Martinez and whether or not they supported the decision. I can see why he wanted to avoid that. They could always do the "no comment" thing I guess, but I don't think Bo wanted them to have to deal with those kind of distractions.

• Fire 1

Part of it might have been last minute reservations. As Pelini said in Saturday's press conference, until you actually see it on the field, you just don't know. There was no need to announce a starter before the game. Nothing good would have come of it for Martinez or the team. And by not announcing it, they pretty much announced it anyway, but weren't obliged to discuss anything until there had been a game.

Yeah, after seeing Martinez on the field, I'm really wondering just how tough of a decision this really was..

I'm guessing they went in letting all 3 qb's know the competition was wide open but Martinez probably left little doubt early on who the QB would be.

I doubt he'd give away anything, but it would be nice to see someone ask Bo, now that it's all said and done and his choice was correct, if it really was a "battle to the end" like he said it was.

Makes me kind of wonder if Green is the "odd man out" in this deal, IF Martinez continues to grow and keeps progressing as they get into conference play, will Green shoot for lack of a better term greener pastures and look to transfer? I do think he is a still a work in progress but if Martinez keeps getting better I have a hard time believing that Green will stick around as a back up in his college career.

Yeah, after seeing Martinez on the field, I'm really wondering just how tough of a decision this really was..

I'm guessing they went in letting all 3 qb's know the competition was wide open but Martinez probably left little doubt early on who the QB would be.

I doubt he'd give away anything, but it would be nice to see someone ask Bo, now that it's all said and done and his choice was correct, if it really was a "battle to the end" like he said it was.

That's a good question I would love to know too. Not that it's important at all as it isn't but I'm curious. Just comments here and there that Tmart was lighting up Bo/Carl's defense in practice would make sense if true.

Like everyone else, I'd like to know why Lee is getting almost zero snaps despite our three blowouts so far? If he's in the doghouse, why? There's very little question that Tmart brings boatloads more to the offense but it would seem that his experience would be a great asset as a backup. Or is it because Green is just too much more talented for Lee to get close to and the coaches think they'll just ride with the top two qbs? Maybe getting as much experience as possible for Tmart/Green is the priority?

Well, we'll probably never know for sure. The results can't be argued with though.

That's a good question I would love to know too. Not that it's important at all as it isn't but I'm curious. Just comments here and there that Tmart was lighting up Bo/Carl's defense in practice would make sense if true.

Like everyone else, I'd like to know why Lee is getting almost zero snaps despite our three blowouts so far? If he's in the doghouse, why? There's very little question that Tmart brings boatloads more to the offense but it would seem that his experience would be a great asset as a backup. Or is it because Green is just too much more talented for Lee to get close to and the coaches think they'll just ride with the top two qbs? Maybe getting as much experience as possible for Tmart/Green is the priority?

Well, we'll probably never know for sure. The results can't be argued with though.

My guess is your last question is the entire reason. Bo is looking ahead to the future and ZLee is a goner at the end of the season. Keep giving the new guys reps...

My guess is your last question is the entire reason. Bo is looking ahead to the future and ZLee is a goner at the end of the season. Keep giving the new guys reps...

I'm not sure we should be looking too far to the future. We have, by most accounts, a National championship shot this year.

My guess is they honestly believe we're a better team with Green at QB than with Lee.. I doubt they'd risk blowing a game this season for the sake of getting him experience.

I don't remember exactly when I heard this (maybe following news of Lee's surgery), but I do recall several defensive players and maybe Carl or Wats sharing how well Martinez did as the scout QB to the tune of him tearing it up vs our Blackshirts in practices. Perhaps the beginning of the end for Lee and Green b/c coaches new they had a special redshirt.