Carl Pelini discusses SDSU lessons @ Big Red Breakfast

Nexus

Not that anyone expected it to come so painfully, but Nebraska’s 17-3 win over South Dakota State last week allowed the Huskers to clear one of their biggest hurdles of the football season — or so says Carl Pelini.

The third-year defensive coordinator, speaking Friday morning at the Big Red Breakfast, emphasized the difficulty in motivating NU players to face an opponent like Jackrabbits. The Huskers beat SDSU, a Football Championship Subdivision program, 17-3 in an ugly performance Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

“That’s the greatest challenge, I think, facing football coaches,” Pelini said, “because these guys aren’t professionals. They’ve got a lot of ups and downs in their lives.”

Pelini joked that he “drew the short straw” in speaking this week in Omaha after Nebraska stumbled in defeating a team it was largely forecast to squash.

“The good news is, we’re 4-0,” he said.

NU players felt embarrassed, Pelini said, after South Dakota State often had its way with the Huskers in keeping the game competitive for four quarters. Part of the problem involved the buildup to the game, as players listened to media and fans predict a blowout.

Pelini, in fact, said he cringed as he drove to the game Saturday afternoon and heard the broadcasters on the Husker Sports Network discuss the value of playing lots of NU backups against South Dakota State.

“Maybe not just our players, but maybe the entire state learned a lesson after that,” Pelini said. “It’s not 1975. I know from recruiting, there’s a lot of great players you can take, and there’s a lot of great players who are still out there once the big schools are done recruiting.

“You do your best as a coach, but there’s way too many great athletes out there. There are no cupcakes, I’ll promise you that.”

Still, the experience should help Nebraska as Big 12 play opens Thursday at Kansas State. Pelini told his defensive assistants as much early this week.

“Ultimately, in terms of our season, that is probably the best thing that ever happened to us,” he said. “Because if we were susceptible to that going into that game, imagine where our players’ heads would be now if we had won that game in a blowout.”

Also from the Pelini appearance:

»He was asked by an audience member to explain how he gets away with firing right back at his brother, coach Bo Pelini, on the sideline during games.

“I think that’s one I don’t want to answer,” he said, drawing laughter. “Here’s what I would say to that: Blood is thicker than any job. And so, actually, we have a great working relationship. We’re very similar in a lot of respects. We wear our emotions on our sleeve, and I think we understand that about each other.”

Carl Pelini said there’s “nothing personal” about their often-heated discussions.

“We’re both very intense on game day,” he said. “I think I’ve got a screw loose half the time, and he knows that. We’re both after the same thing. I want nothing more than for him to be coach of the year every year, and he knows that my loyalty to him is undying.

“Everything I’m doing is for the intent of trying to make him successful. With that understanding, it’s never an issue.”

»Pelini was more specific Friday on a timetable for the return of linebacker Will Compton, out since Sept. 2 with a foot injury. Compton has recently started walking without a boot but has not returned to practice.

“It’s not going to be long now,” Pelini said. “I don’t know if it’s going to be another week or two weeks.”

Linebackers coach Mike Ekeler, for one, is eager to see Compton return.

“I heard coach Ekeler yesterday tell him, ‘I hate you more and more every time I see you on the sideline,’” Pelini said.

»Asked about No. 3 quarterback Zac Lee, who started 12 games a year ago, Pelini declined to offer much detail. “Honestly, I don’t like to talk about personnel in a setting like this,” he said. “But I like Zac. I like the way he practices. I like his approach, and I like his leadership on our team.”

»The 45-year-old Pelini said he does not think about seeking a job as a head coach, though the Huskers’ defensive success may make him an attractive candidate.

“It’s like anything else,” he said, “if you take your eyes off the goal, you’re not going to be any good. The only thing I can do is just keep doing as good a job as I can do, and we’ll see what happens.

“I love what I’m doing. I love the hands on part of my coaching. I love being a coordinator.”

Pelini said he’ll be fine — inside or out of football.

“I could always get a manager’s job at Lowe’s or somewhere,” he said. “I do love home improvement.”

LINK

...NU players felt embarrassed, Pelini said, after South Dakota State often had its way with the Huskers in keeping the game competitive for four quarters. Part of the problem involved the buildup to the game, as players listened to media and fans predict a blowout.

Pelini, in fact, said he cringed as he drove to the game Saturday afternoon and heard the broadcasters on the Husker Sports Network discuss the value of playing lots of NU backups against South Dakota State.

“Maybe not just our players, but maybe the entire state learned a lesson after that,” Pelini said. “It’s not 1975. I know from recruiting, there’s a lot of great players you can take, and there’s a lot of great players who are still out there once the big schools are done recruiting....LINK

After the game, Coach Pelini said he was taking the blame etc. but I don't think he focused much on how a few of his statements were some of the strongest contributors to the pre-game buildup he's now noting. He made it clear his teams should not be playing FCS teams...that was setting the stage. He told the press he didn't even know where SDSU was. That didn't help. And then he expects his players to be real serious when he's saying that stuff? What effect did he think that would have on SDSU's team? As Pelini noted, this isn't 1975 any more and "there's a lot of great players who are still out there once the big schools are done recruiting."

Now, before anyone wants to jump all over me for being a Jackrabbit fan: Please understand I am one of the legion of Nebraska fans who live in South Dakota. Nebraska is our big school to follow. I became a Nebraska fan when I was a kid and watched Larry Jacobson play high school ball for Sioux Falls O'Gorman. When he went to Nebraska, we listened on the radio and remember well those years, particularly the fabled 1970 and 1971 seasons. I was hooked.

But I'm a Jackrabbit and on Saturday, I was in Memorial Stadium cheering for the Jacks.

It was pretty easy to overlook a team that was 0-2. But, that same team was picked #9 pre-season in FCS and made it to the FCS playoffs last year. Not bad for a program that is relatively new to the FCS level.

There were some key SDSU personnel adjustments made for the NU game. One in particular had a big impact and was one Nebraska would not know about until a few minutes into the game. SDSU moved its pre-season All-America-pick center to left guard, and moved in a new kid at center. It appears that was the catalyst for our offensive line playing closer to the standard set the past couple of years. Our defensive line lost a lot of senior leadership but we knew it would gel and it started to do that in the NU game.

I hope Coach Pelini learned the same lesson he hopes his team learned.

Nebraska's still my "big" school and I think Coach Pelini is 'da man but he needed to be a little more careful about his comments in the week preceding the game with SDSU.

...NU players felt embarrassed, Pelini said, after South Dakota State often had its way with the Huskers in keeping the game competitive for four quarters. Part of the problem involved the buildup to the game, as players listened to media and fans predict a blowout.

“Maybe not just our players, but maybe the entire state learned a lesson after that,” Pelini said. “It’s not 1975. I know from recruiting, there’s a lot of great players you can take, and there’s a lot of great players who are still out there once the big schools are done recruiting....LINK

After the game, Coach Pelini said he was taking the blame etc. but I don't think he focused much on how a few of his statements were some of the strongest contributors to the pre-game buildup he's now noting. He made it clear his teams should not be playing FCS teams...that was setting the stage. He told the press he didn't even know where SDSU was. That didn't help. And then he expects his players to be real serious when he's saying that stuff? What effect did he think that would have on SDSU's team? As Pelini noted, this isn't 1975 any more and "there's a lot of great players who are still out there once the big schools are done recruiting."

Now, before anyone wants to jump all over me for being a Jackrabbit fan: Please understand I am one of the legion of Nebraska fans who live in South Dakota. Nebraska is our big school to follow. I became a Nebraska fan when I was a kid and watched Larry Jacobson play high school ball for Sioux Falls O'Gorman. When he went to Nebraska, we listened on the radio and remember well those years, particularly the fabled 1970 and 1971 seasons. I was hooked.

But I'm a Jackrabbit and on Saturday, I was in Memorial Stadium cheering for the Jacks.

It was pretty easy to overlook a team that was 0-2. But, that same team was picked #9 pre-season in FCS and made it to the FCS playoffs last year. Not bad for a program that is relatively new to the FCS level.

There were some key SDSU personnel adjustments made for the NU game. One in particular had a big impact and was one Nebraska would not know about until a few minutes into the game. SDSU moved its pre-season All-America-pick center to left guard, and moved in a new kid at center. It appears that was the catalyst for our offensive line playing closer to the standard set the past couple of years. Our defensive line lost a lot of senior leadership but we knew it would gel and it started to do that in the NU game.

Nebraska's still my "big" school and I think Coach Pelini is 'da man but he needed to be a little more careful about his comments in the week preceding the game with SDSU.

You do realize there are two coach Pelinis on this staff, and this is the other one right?

You do realize there are two coach Pelinis on this staff, and this is the other one right?

Exact conclusion I reached as well. A little confusion involved.

Yeah, my post was confusing. I was talking about a couple of comments Bo made and realize the interview quotes were from Carl. Anyway...Lincoln was a great time last weekend. The NU fans were great. The Sidetrack ought to be franchised.

I was hoping that the Huskers wouldn't run it up on you guys. Got my wish there, lol. I remember going to the games as a grade schooler against SDSU, in the early 60's. Brought back good memories. Have a great season the rest of the year. Hope you win out from here.

GBR!!!