Texas fans nervous after watching NU vs. K-State

This is as pessimistic as I've felt about a Texas football game since Ohio State come to Austin in 2006 and we had a freshman QB making his second start. Nebraska has a great pass defense and we can't run the ball. I do think our defense will play a whole lot better than Kansas State's last night, I just don't see how we're going to score very many points. Something like Nebraska 24, Texas 10 sounds about right. I hate this season.

Just hang in there Tex and be glad you never had to go through the Callahan years like we did. It'll make this year a little easier for ya......well, that and 30 beers anyway.

This is as pessimistic as I've felt about a Texas football game since Ohio State come to Austin in 2006 and we had a freshman QB making his second start. Nebraska has a great pass defense and we can't run the ball. I do think our defense will play a whole lot better than Kansas State's last night, I just don't see how we're going to score very many points. Something like Nebraska 24, Texas 10 sounds about right. I hate this season.

Just hang in there Tex and be glad you never had to go through the Callahan years like we did. It'll make this year a little easier for ya......well, that and 30 beers anyway.

Actually, they did go through Callahan-like years. From about 1985 to 1998 or 1999, when they fired John Macovic and hired clappy Mack Brown. When they beat NU for the first Big 12 Championship, it saved Macovics job for 2 or 3 more years. They've really only gotten good the last 10 years. Big drought between Darrel Royal and Mack Brown.

I sure hope the players don't read their own hype, because believe me, Texas is coming to play, they are not going to just lay down. I have a feeling that this game will still be a good game, thought I fully expect NU to pull it out and win in the end. Would l like I to see them make a statement to Texas - absolutely. I hope we smash them in the mouth and take the value of their TV market down even more than it has come down already this season. Nothing would make me happier. But I also fully expect Texas to come to play, and do whatever it takes to win. They have their own statement to make to Nebraska fans...

My thoughts exactly. This is the perfect opportunity for Texas, coming off a bye week, to get a huge upset and put themselves right back in the thick of things. The last thing NU, especially Martinez and the offense, can afford to do is believe the hype 'cause we've already seen what that can do to us. This is still Texas, and this is the game we've put on a pedestal since 00:01. IMO this is still the biggest hurdle we gotta face this entire season. Texas has had our number regardless of which team was ranked higher entering the game.

So, even though it's fun to see Horns fans have these reactions, it will only matter when they're having these reactions during and after we play Texas next Saturday.

I sure hope the players don't read their own hype, because believe me, Texas is coming to play, they are not going to just lay down. I have a feeling that this game will still be a good game, thought I fully expect NU to pull it out and win in the end. Would l like I to see them make a statement to Texas - absolutely. I hope we smash them in the mouth and take the value of their TV market down even more than it has come down already this season. Nothing would make me happier. But I also fully expect Texas to come to play, and do whatever it takes to win. They have their own statement to make to Nebraska fans...

My thoughts exactly. This is the perfect opportunity for Texas, coming off a bye week, to get a huge upset and put themselves right back in the thick of things. The last thing NU, especially Martinez and the offense, can afford to do is believe the hype 'cause we've already seen what that can do to us. This is still Texas, and this is the game we've put on a pedestal since 00:01. IMO this is still the biggest hurdle we gotta face this entire season. Texas has had our number regardless of which team was ranked higher entering the game.

So, even though it's fun to see Horns fans have these reactions, it will only matter when they're having these reactions during and after we play Texas next Saturday.

Bo and Co. will have the team ready for TexAss. Count on it. There's no way we lose this game, it's just a matter of by how much. If any one offers you even odds or better, book it and I'll guarantee your money. This game means too much to the team and to Bo and Co. TexAss and their lucky streak will officially end once and for all on 10/16. We're going hunting on 10/16 and we're having fresh Bevo steaks for supper that night. And we're not throwing away the bones, we're going to eat them too...

Bandwagon fans. I expected better loyalty/faith in their defense, at least. I think the likelihood of Taylor being mostly bottled up is pretty decent.

I live in Dallas and they are still doing a little jaw jacking but most of the people who actually know football are thinking a 4-8 season is on docket for this year. All I here is " If McCoy was here.. Blaa blaaa blaaaa" . I hope the boys get it done next Saturday. If they play like they did last night they will make Ole Mackie boy cry. They are already turning on him down here. GO BIG RED!!!!

I just woke up, and came strait to the forum. Read this and boy that was a good laugh to start off the day. I really think Ne is gonna destroy Texas next week. I just think overall as a team, we are better in every aspect. plus after last years game, revenge is gonna be sweet, we havent beat them for awhile, we are leaving the big 12, and its a home game in which 85,000 fans will be going crazy. Its gonna be so loud. The only thing i get nervous about for home games is stupid penalties from our guys trying to make the big play. Either jumping offsides, false starts, personal fouls, or just taking the pressure of the game to much to the heart, and making mental mistakes. There is no way, we should worry about the team not being ready, or not playing the best of their abilities, but mental mistakes scare me. Other then that.....Domination!

-side note...im even pumped for my drive back to Ne. I will be coming from Texas the 14-15th from El Paso Tx which is a 20 hour drive, ill drive 10 hours from el paso to dallas, then 10 hours from dallas to omaha. My truck will be decked out in my Ne gear, and im sure ill see lots of Texas fans driving up for the game! Hope i make it alive! haha

Actually, they did go through Callahan-like years. From about 1985 to 1998 or 1999, when they fired John Macovic and hired clappy Mack Brown. When they beat NU for the first Big 12 Championship, it saved Macovics job for 2 or 3 more years. They've really only gotten good the last 10 years. Big drought between Darrel Royal and Mack Brown.

Yep. We narrowly missed a national championship in 1983 because we lost our bowl game by one point. Then we fell off the map due to a combination of a horrible coach (McWilliams), the rampant cheating and purchasing players at SMU and Texas A&M, and U of H hitting its all-time peak at the same time. We were downright bad for several years until U of H came back to earth and SMU got the death penalty and A&M got their second Lack Of Institutional Control violation in 1993 and started playing it straight. And even then, we were only good, never great, throughout the 90's. I was in school from 94-99 and we started getting really excited any time we got to about #15 in the rankings. And it was worse than that for about ten years before that when I was growing up. None of us would have believed what Mack and DeLoss have put together back in 1998.

Yep. We narrowly missed a national championship in 1983 because we lost our bowl game by one point. Then we fell off the map due to a combination of a horrible coach (McWilliams), the rampant cheating and purchasing players at SMU and Texas A&M, and U of H hitting its all-time peak at the same time. We were downright bad for several years until U of H came back to earth and SMU got the death penalty and A&M got their second Lack Of Institutional Control violation in 1993 and started playing it straight. And even then, we were only good, never great, throughout the 90's. I was in school from 94-99 and we started getting really excited any time we got to about #15 in the rankings. And it was worse than that for about ten years before that when I was growing up. None of us would have believed what Mack and DeLoss have put together back in 1998.

I remember all those years of mediocrity for Texas. The Red River Rivalry was little more than a local show, not the national-interest game it's become in the last decade-ish.

What I cannot fathom, though, is how Texas can ever become "bad." You guys have more five-star players within a stone's throw of your campus than any school outside of Florida and SoCal. There is absolutely no excuse for poor players on your roster, yet here we are, watching this team fuddle its way around the field. It's baffling to me how Mack can underperform like this.