Showdown in Stilly

AAChucko

We should play like we played against Arizona. Unpredictibility on the offence. Just my .02 cents :)

Our offense better score 33 points --- like they did against Arizona --- or we lose.

Texas was the first real defense NU faced. And, well... the NU offense fizzled.

OSU is the first real offense NU will face. And I'd think that if NU held OSU to under 28 points then that would be our best defensive showing of the season. I'd expect OSU to score in the low to mid 30 point range on NU. If NU has fumbles and interceptions and gives OSU some short fields to work with --- then OSu might score 40 on us.

The point.... the Husker offense must score a great deal to hang with OSU or NU is looking at two straight losses --- we need at least the 33 we hung on Arizona ... maybe 40+ points to win.

I hate to say it... but I don't think we win this one.

I know OSU has a great offense, but do you really think they're gonna hang that many on us? Yes, OSU's strength is their passing game, but that plays right into the primary strength of the Blackshirts. There's a long list of QBs with big arms who have been completely shut down by the Huskers, so I see no reason to believe our D won't step up and do it again, even against an offense as dangerous as the Cowboys.

Btw, our loss to Texas was NOT the Blackshirts' fault. In spite of the poor tackling and lack of forced turnovers, they played well enough for us to win, and that's saying something considering Texas' average field position against us.

Obviously we have to put points on the board to beat OSU because they will score. But, they won't put up 30 or 40+ against Bo's defense. That's just not going to happen. As much as our offense needs to score, OSU's defense needs to step up 'cause they're not going to be able to depend on tons of points from their offense like they have in every game so far this season.

If OSU has to mostly go 80 yards per drive ... then holding them to 28 or fewer is a reasonable notion. But.... if they have good field position... if we turn over the ball several times giving them a short field... then yes 30 to 40 points is not unlikely.

Unless NU gets some good field position and gets a few short fields, well... I cannot see our offense keeping up with OSU. Yes the Blackshirts are good. But... can we score? Can we rule the clock? Can we keep the OSU offense off the field? Can we keep from turnover giveaways? All these questions are based upon our offense... which, I think in reality is not much better at this point this year than it was last year (more explosive certainly, but able to maintain drives, move the ball against a fast D or a stacked line? No... we are not much better... and that is bad). Sure, some will say our O is much better than last year... well, ignore our games against nobody competition and we have the ability to run against slow defenses... What else? Do we have a real receiver that can catch? A QB that can pass? We will be hard pressed to put 35+ points on a good defense. I suppose... the saving grace might be that OSU might not have a good defense.

So... who knows what will happen. But certainly... NU is a slight underdog in this one. And... we'll have to somehow score a great deal....

I watched Okie State play A&M. I'd have to say I wasn't impressed at all with the O coordinator at Okie State. With the game in hand, all they had to do was run the ball and pick up one first down. What do they do? They throw two incomplete passes on first and second down eating virtually zero clock at all. I think Nebraska wins this game, and I suspect we'll get at least one pick 6. Okie State doesn't have the athletes that Texas has, and I don't think they'll be able to stop our offense in its tracks like Texas did. Nebraska wasn't hungry before the Texas game, and it showed. I think we'll be very hungry this weekend.

I'm having a hard time not calling you a big fat liar friend. Nebraska not hungry for the Texas game??? I'll assume that you were talking about a different Nebraska. If anything they were too hungry.

The aTm game was Weeden's first game against a Big 12 opponent. And the drawback to a pass happy offense is what you saw that night...you can give the ball back just as quickly as you can score. We showed drastic improvement during the Tech game. We were able to drive the length of the field and score without putting the ball in the air.

The best thing about the aTm game? We found a way to win. You can't put that in a statistic.

OSU's offense has had lots of big plays this year, and by "big plays" I mean those of 20+ yards. Hunter has had a few, but the majority has been via passing. Now, Pelini's entire defensive philosophy is built on NOT giving up those kind of plays, and with the exception of a handful of plays through 6 games, the Blackshirts have followed suit. That is the reason the Huskers have the #1 pass defense in the country. And that, my dear AAChucko, is going to be the difference in this game. Nebraska will force OSU to drive the ball at 10-yard intervals, and the more OSU puts the ball in the air, the more danger they'll be in. That's how we force turnovers, and even against a passing attack like the Cowboys, we'll impose our will defensively and get those turnovers.

Obviously we have to put points on the board to beat OSU because they will score. But, they won't put up 30 or 40+ against Bo's defense. That's just not going to happen. As much as our offense needs to score, OSU's defense needs to step up 'cause they're not going to be able to depend on tons of points from their offense like they have in every game so far this season.

Herein lies the million dollar question. Can OSU's offense put up 30 or 40 points against Nebraska's defense? If you think that you are going to shut down both Hunter and Blackmon...you're crazy. Will that equate into points? I guess we'll see.

What has suprised the Cowboy nation this season (among other things) is our defense's ability to create turnovers. If we are able to continue that trend and create turnovers on Nebraska's side of the field, there is no question that we can turn those into TDs.

Our FG kicker, Dan Bailey is deadly inside 45 yards and has kicked two 50+ yard FGs this season. His golden foot will be put to use this weekend, no question.

If I had to make a prediction right now, I would say OSU will put 35 on the board this weekend.

We'll fumble the ball..........it's a given. I don't have the stats, I'm sure someone else here does, but we've got to be in the teens as far as fumbles so far this season. Now, we usually get the ball back, but we've lost a few of those. I don't think you'll put 35 on us, I'm thinking more along the lines of 24 points. The issue is whether we can score enough to overcome those points. :facepalm:

I'm still a Husker fan through and through and have been for all my life. Even through the Callahan years. Hoping for a win in Stillwater but not counting on one. Until Nebraska starts playing discipline football we are going to struggle. Personal fouls, fumbles, missed assignments, dropped passes, poor coaching decisions. Until they can clean that crap up they will continue to have problems.

Tell your coaches to put 11 men on Martinez, then the zone read is dead, and make sure they keep running around with their eyes on the ground, you will be able to see 8 - 10 footballs on the ground. Don't bother covering our receivers at all - they had hands of stone. Our coaches don't know what they need to do to improve. :sarcasm

Seriously - Offense had a really bad day against a major uptick of defensive talent. Defensively the coaches adjust pretty well after the first couple of series. I a cautiously optimistic against your pass attack - but run defense is iffy.

This is the first ranked team NU has faced this season, and it's a road game. NU is famously (infamously?) known for their poor record against ranked teams on the road. Additionally, NU hasn't won in Stillwater since 1995.

Historically, it doesn't bode well for NU.

You folks are big believers in tradition and history.

But as I'm NOT a believer in that past performance crap, I'll go out on a limb here and say that NU should win this game. It's a rebound game emotionally, the only mitigating factor is the Mizzou game and the possibilty that some players may be looking ahead.

Martinez plays the whole game.

NU wins.

BO KNOWS FOOTBALL!!

I havent seen OSU play this year but i dont care what anyone says, I just cant see them scoring 30+ on us. This defense is too good. I think we should win this game because we will actually catch the passes we dropped against Texas

I've seen them, they look good. They have a good rb and a capable qb. They put up a lot of points. but haven't faced a defense like NU will bring this week.

This is a joke right?!?!? This game is going to be a battle to see if Nebraska can contain a high power offense, the better defense will win. NEBRASKA will prevail and we will cover the 5 point spread by at least 21.

Here is how I see this one playing out. OSU has an offense (2nd in points for) but they are once again terrible on defense. They are 73rd in points allowed so far this year and they have played 1 team with a 500 or better record. They are 3rd in the nation in passing offense and just 43rd in rushing offense and all the teams they have played have had mediocre to terrible d-line and CB play. Yes, I know they are a spread team and passing is there first choice.

Meanwhile, Nebraska is 4th in the nation in rushing, yes we got shutdown by Texas but Texas HAS a D-LINE, OSU lacks a D-line play. If it were not for Jerrod Johnson tossing 3-4 picks and a late 4th quarter scoop and score OSU would be 5-1! Nebraska will shut down the OSU pass offense but they will get some yards via there out routes and WR screen plays. (IMO-those plays are cheap crap plays to begin with) Sacks, there will be coming this week unless all OSU does is the quick WR screen all day.

I wish I had OSU rush defense stats but I was not able to find them so i could further enhance my point of view.

Anyway, no I am not a homer but I think Mizzou and OSU are the 2 worst remaining undefeated teams in the NCAA. Wait, LSU is also a huge fraud as well.

Go Big red! :throwdabones1:

texas scored all of 20 points because the NU offense consistently put texas in position to score. I honestly think the game would have been closer, or us even winning, if we just played Texas offense against our D the entire game. Lets not forget, grape might have rushed for 71 yards, but he was 4 for 16 passing with 62 yards. The only way I see us losing this game, which is quite possible, is for another performance of complete offensive ineptitude from the Huskers.

I dont see it happening ( or at least I pray) again.

I'm pretty excited for this game, I think it should be fun. While I haven't completely bought into the hype about OSU's offense, I still think they are by far the most balanced team that Nebraska has faced until now. Adding to that the fact that the Nebraska offense will have a lot to prove and OSU isn't exactly known to be a defensive stalwart should combine for a very exciting offensive show with flashes of defensive brilliance sprinkled in. I'm looking forward to watching it.

• Fire 1

Here is how I see this one playing out. OSU has an offense (2nd in points for) but they are once again terrible on defense. They are 73rd in points allowed so far this year and they have played 1 team with a 500 or better record.

By the way, here are the records of the teams we have played and some of their stats (straight off the NCAA site).

WSU - 1-6 (0-4) - 116th Rushing Offense, 31st Passing O, 119th Rush D, 104th Pass D

Troy - 4-2 (3-0) - 48th Rushing Offense, 11th Passing O, 40th Rush D, 109th Pass D

Tulsa - 4-3 (2-2) - 17th Rushing Offense, 27th Passing O, 25th Rush D, 120th Pass D

TAMU - 3-3 (0-2) - 63rd Rushing Offense, 10th Passing O, 2nd Rush D, 101st Pass D

Louisiana Laf - 2-4 (2-2) - 108th Rushing Offense, 48th Passing O, 54th Rush D, 113th Pass D

Tech 3-3 (1-3) - 95th Rushing Offense, 6th Passing O, 53rd Rush D, 117th Pass D

OSU - 41st Rush O, 3rd Pass O, 36th Rush D, 114th Pass D

I'll be first to admit that our schedule has been a giant cupcake. And good grief, the passing defenses. But that's still 4 teams .500 or better overall.

Anyway, no I am not a homer but I think Mizzou and OSU are the 2 worst remaining undefeated teams in the NCAA. Wait, LSU is also a huge fraud as well.

Go Big red! :throwdabones1:

And everyone is entitled to their opinion, but 6-0 is 6-0. We were supposed to be the doormat of the Big 12 South this year and yet, somehow we are 6-0. There is zero pressure on the Cowboys and all the pressure in the world on Nebraska. OSU may be (as you said) one of the worst remaining teams in the NCAA, but they will come out and punch Nebraska in the mouth. I look forward to talking about this game on Sunday, win or lose.

Safe travels to all. I gotta hit the road to Stillwater, USA!!!! GO POKES.