Steady Improvement??

Taylor didnt look any better than Dailey did last year, was just lucky that he didnt have more picks.

I disagree as much as someone can disagree.

1. Taylor doesn't make a fraction of the dumb throws Dailey did. He knows when a guy is open and when he isn't. Dailey never seemed to grasp this concept.

2. Taylor looks much much more comfortable in the pocket than Dailey ever did. You ever seen Dailey do his happy feet move?

Yes, you have a case in the numbers department. However, watching the game you can't tell me than Taylor isn't any better than Dailey.

Okay, youre right, he doesnt make as many bad plays as JD did, and he certainly doesnt have the happy feet. He does look more comfortable and patient than JD did.

However, there have been quite a few instances where he has made some passes that looked like JD, some have not been picked. He has tired to squeeze the ball into some areas that were questionable. Also, he seemed to have quite a few balls knocked down at the line last night.

Bottom line, is that he does look more comfortable that JD, but the end results are the same as last year, unfortunately.

Taylor didnt look any better than Dailey did last year, was just lucky that he didnt have more picks.

1. Taylor doesn't make a fraction of the dumb throws Dailey did. He knows when a guy is open and when he isn't. Dailey never seemed to grasp this concept.

2. Taylor looks much much more comfortable in the pocket than Dailey ever did. You ever seen Dailey do his happy feet move?

Yes, you have a case in the numbers department. However, watching the game you can't tell me than Taylor isn't any better than Dailey.

Okay, youre right, he doesnt make as many bad plays as JD did, and he certainly doesnt have the happy feet.

However, there have been quite a few instances where he has made some passes that looked like JD, some have not been picked. Also, he seemed to have quite a few balls knocked down at the line last night.

Bottom line, is that he does look more comfortable that JD, but the end results are the same as last year, unfortunately.

The difference between the two is that Taylor has upside. Dailey doesn't.

How many of those yards came against Stuntz and the third teamers?  There's the difference in yardage.

Not sure, but I do know that WF had more yards than NU did up until the first couple of drives of the 3rd qtr, and NUs offense didnt produce anything after that.

I thought you didn't worry about the if's?  Those TO's happened so don't worry about if this if that.  What do you always say?  If my Aunt had Balls she would be my uncle.

I guess that my main concern is that the Dline got dominated by Wakes Oline early. What happens down the road when NU plays a team with a similar Oline, yet their QB doesnt throw the ball right into the LB's hands?? If you want to ignore it that their line blew holes in NUs Dline, thats fine. But it raised a red flag.

Taylor throws alot of dumb passes when he's getting rushed. He should of had about 5 or 6 passes picked last game against wake.

I'll agree that if you don't have at least some concerns about the team's offensive play then you may be a bit too optimistic. I was really pleased last night at one thing specifically.

It seemed to me that both offensively and defensively we wore Wake down. I know in the first half that their O-line opened some huge holes and our O-line really got pushed around. But by the midpoint in the 3rd quarter Taylor had much better protection, by no means perfect...but better. It also appeared that before the reserves came in the D-line and backers had things nicely under control. That may be because we had 8-9 buys within 5 yds of the LOS, but I don't remember any part of our team taking control of the LOS at all last year. That alone gives me optimism.

I thought the 3rd quarter was by far the best football we've played so far, hopefully we'll see some of that rhythm earlier next week.

He should of had about 5 or 6 passes picked last game against wake.

With the drops he SHOULD of had over 200 yards passing with another TD. A couple more TD against Maine. If you want ot play the should of card.

I think it funny Benard before the game you were picking Wake to win and play tough. When we end up winning you say how much of a bad team Wake is. Make up your mind.

IMO all the offense needs to do is not make huge mistakes and hang on to the ball. It is getting better that is what I want to see. The defense looks great and I think they are for real.

IF Taylor and co can just eliminate those mistakes such as turnovers and too many dropped balls then I think they will be fine and have a shot at the north. I think this year we can ride our defense for most of the season.

If they keep improving they will be reliable at the end of the year not great but effective.

It is still a transition year, improvement is waht we should be calling for.

The first half looked horrible for us offensively. The defense for the day, I think improved from week 1... the blackshirts were just tearing it up, that strip by Bullocks was just nasty... this IS the return of the blackshirts. 2nd half offensively started looking better. We put together some nice drives. Especially the one that resulted in a field goal. Awesome balance of rushing and passing, and Taylor and the receievers were looking real good. It should have been a TD, BUT we got to see Taylor's inexperience. He had (hardy?) open in the endzone, and I think he got a bit too excited and threw a horrible ball. If he had floated it to the corner of the endzone, like he should have.. that would've been 6 points for sure. Some of you are saying that the playcalling there was bad but... that just proves that the playcalling is good, wide open receiver in the endzone, when you are inside the 5. What's wrong with throwing for a TD then instead of running, especially when you have a weak OL?

Anyway, my main point here is that, Daily, last year, really didn't have a decent drive until the 2nd half of the last game against Colorado. Here we had a great looking drive in the 2nd half of the 2nd game of the season. That's reason to be optomistic about this team in my book. The offense will definitely keep improving, HOWEVER I believe that we survive alot on our defense this year, much like 2003, though I think the defense is better this year.. and in 2003 we had an offense that was poor at its peak potential, this year we have an offense that is very young but shows signs of being real good.

-tK

I think it funny Benard before the game you were picking Wake to win and play tough. When we end up winning you say how much of a bad team Wake is. Make up your mind.
:yeah:lol:

As far as Taylor having an upside, formerfan give the kid some time at the end of the season if Taylor is not improved then you can say he doesn't. IMO I think Taylor has a tremendous :thumbs side. GBR!!!

The difference between the two is that Taylor has upside.  Dailey doesn't.

:dis

You are saying this is as good as Taylor is? The kid has two D1 games under his belt and you want to hang him. Sometimes, man, I can't understand you.

Sorry, I should have clarified my statement. Taylor has an upside, but I dont agree with the asumption that Dailey doesnt. Dailey is a decent athlete, in the right offense, Dailey may produce well.

I'll edit the previous post. My bad.