Convicted Killer Executed In Arizona

Convicted Killer Executed In Florence

FLORENCE, Ariz. -- After more than 20 years of appeals, reprieve requests and stays, doctors at the Arizona State Prison in Florence pronounced convicted killer Jeffery Landrigan dead at 10:26 p.m. Tuesday. He was executed by lethal injection.

Just a few hours before, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5 to 4 to lift the stay that was preventing Arizona from executing him.

Landrigan thanked his family for being there with him, and his last words were "boomer sooner."

Landrigan had been on death row since his 1990 conviction for murdering Chester Dyer of Phoenix in a 1989 killing that prosecutors said part of a robbery.

Monday, a federal judge in Arizona blocked the execution because the state obtained the drug from a previously unidentified overseas source. The judge questioned whether it might be unsafe.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed in a ruling early Tuesday, but the nation's high court reversed that decision.

"There is no evidence in the record to suggest that the drug obtained from a foreign source is unsafe," the unsigned order said. "...Speculation cannot substitute for evidence that the use of the drug is 'sure or very likely to cause serious illness and needless suffering."'

Arizona said Tuesday that it got its sodium thiopental from Great Britain, the first time a state has acknowledged obtaining the drug from outside the United States since the shortage began slowing executions in the spring.

That, in part, lead to the U.S. Supreme Court lifting the stay.

Stick with KPHO.com and CBS 5 News for more on this Breaking News story

You guys still embarrassed to have Larry the Cable Guy as a fan?

Wow I might have to forward this to my Uncle who is an OU fan.

I find it ridiculous to wait 1-20 years to execute a convicted murderer. Part of our tax money keeps that mother f'er alive. If you intentionally kill somebody you should automatically get the death penalty and be ordered to die the day after you've been found gilty.

Wow I might have to forward this to my Uncle who is an OU fan.

I find it ridiculous to wait 1-20 years to execute a convicted murderer. Part of our tax money keeps that mother f'er alive. If you intentionally kill somebody you should automatically get the death penalty and be ordered to die the day after you've been found gilty.

Nawww.

Make them wait a while and think about what they did..And torture them a little by letting them know what might happen to them.

Study them for awhile so you can maybe prevent others from doing it? Or better identify those more prone to killing?

(Just trying to understand the reasoning of the opposing viewpoint).

I thought it was funny the judge was concerned that the drug used might be harmful.

bleacherreport.

Too bad he didn't give the "horns down" sign.

Posted by John Taylor on October 27, 2010 9:06 AM ET

Many a true fan has loudly -- and sometimes drunkenly -- proclaimed that they will fight for and support their team until the last breath is ripped from their body. One man last night grabbed that "stay true to your school" concept and spooned the hell out of it as he lay strapped to his highly-lethal and heavily-guarded deathbed.

Jeffrey Landrigan was scheduled to be executed Tuesday night for the 1990 armed robbery and strangulation of an Arizona man. Landrigan had escaped from an Oklahoma prison in 1989, where he was already serving time for second-degree murder.

Hours after dining on a succulent on-the-house last meal of steak, fried okra, french fries, strawberry ice cream and a Dr. Pepper -- the okra was to die for -- the convicted killer, as is customary, was given the opportunity to say a few final words before departing this mortal coil via lethal injection.

Following the execution, a prison official gave an account as to what exactly it was Landrigan decided to utter as the game clock of life was ticking down to double zeros.

"Well, I'd like to say 'thank you' to my family for being here and all of my friends. Boomer Sooner."

[tosses microphone]

[dies]

Somewhere, the whole of Sooner Nation is cringing in unison at the thought that their beloved fight song will now be a national headline/punchline for the next couple of days because some scumbag decided to remain a dyed-in-the-wool superfan until the last possible second. Or they'll be giving it a big, hearty thumbs down. One of the two.

Following the execution, a prison official gave an account as to what exactly it was Landrigan decided to utter as the game clock of life was ticking down to double zeros.

You think if he was a Texas fan, he'd have gotten an extra second?

Zinger of the year award will be given out early this year.

Congrats

South Dakota has had the convicted killer of a little girl sitting on death row for over 20 years. I would gladly walk this pervert into a field and put a couple of .22's into the back of his head. No mess, .22's are cheap and it would be problem solved. Of course the namby-pamby's would probably say that it was inhumaine to make him walk into the field.

T_O_B