Statistics to prove/deny the "conspiracy theory".

If we're going to use statistics to figure this sort of stuff out, can we at least use some remotely advanced statistics besides averages? How many standard deviations away from the mean are these figures? What's the error involved in calculating it? Yeah sometimes refs suck, deal with it.

If you need some more numbers to move around to prove a point, please consider using this text. http://www.amazon.co...f/dp/0393310728

:blink: My head hurts just thinking about this

God I hated statistics in high school. Worse class ever.

as people mentioned before the numbers don't tell anything. A holding penalty on your own 1 yard line -who cares- but a holding call on a touchdown play cost you 6 or 7 points. also penalties are just half the truth. what is grist to the mills of those who believe that there is a conspiracy going on are calls or non-calls like the gabbert fumble or that there was no booth review when -i dont remember who- caught a first down pass against Texas but was ruled out of bounds. Or Beebe suspending Martin when others got away.

What i wonder though is when did this all get started? Or is it a leftover from last year when people were complaining the non-holding-calls against opponents while they did call em against us all the time or was it the 1sec back on the clock?

If we're going to use statistics to figure this sort of stuff out, can we at least use some remotely advanced statistics besides averages? How many standard deviations away from the mean are these figures? What's the error involved in calculating it? Yeah sometimes refs suck, deal with it.

If you need some more numbers to move around to prove a point, please consider using this text. http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728

While so many other posts in this thread deserve this as well, yours takes the cake: :facepalm:

Drew, don't take this personally. Nobody is cracking on you for this. I told you in my response (first post after yours) that I applaud your effort. You did a good thing, it's just that the numbers you used weren't showing the picture you intended. There's nothing wrong with that; stats are an esoteric thing, and unless you're a mathematician the kinds of stats you're going to have to use to show any kind of trend are going to be beyond the scope of most users. As fond as I am of stats, this is way beyond my ability. Zoo is right - the deviations and +/- numbers all have to be taken into account in something like you're attempting here.

I get the impression that you think people are pissing on your work here, and that's not the case - certainly it's not the case in my comments. It's just that what you're trying to do can't be done with the numbers you used. Cool?