2005 Season

junior4949

So far, my take on the 2005 season is that no matter how good you are or how high you are rated: TURNOVERS ARE KILLER. Turnovers are what cost Iowa their game against Iowa State. Turnovers are what killed Michigan against Notre Dame.

Turnovers damn near killed Nebraska against Maine. Turnovers definitely killed WF against Nebraska. At halftime, WF had more than double the amount of yards as Nebraska did. Take away the 14 points Wake handed us, and they would have continued to pound the ball down our throats. At halftime, I believe they were averaging 4.4 yards/rush or better. If they hadn't felt the need to try to play catch up and pass the ball, I'm not sure they wouldn't have done to us what we used to do to opposing teams: wear us out!

I'm not real sure, but I think I read where WF's defense was rated 95 in the country last year. I'm sorry, but we only put 10 points up against that defense. After watching Texas play Ohio State, I can see huge differences between the top tier teams right now and Nebraska. At best, I'm not even sure Nebraska is middle tier in the Big 12. In the past when our offense was struggling, we could overcome some of this until we reached a game with a better team. Once we play a team where our defense is on the field 3/4 of the time, we're gonna get tired and the defense will break down. Had the turnovers not have happened against WF, we might have seen it this past weekend.

I feel worse about the team's chances after the WF game than I did when we played Maine. At least during the Maine game, we could call it first game jitters. Our receivers are not concentrating at all. Nobody drops as many passes as Nunn unless he just isn't concentrating on catching the damn football. In the first half, WF showed how suspect our DL is. I don't even think I need to mention how poor our OL play is. We might just be seeing why Panico was returning punts last year as Grixby seems to have trouble fielding the ball.

On the bright side, our LB's and secondary seem to be playing really well. I realize our secondary hasn't really been challenged yet, but they do seem to be coming along great. The defense may keep us in some games early, but I don't think we can hang our hats on them if they have to play 3 out of the 4 quarters. We don't have the depth for that. The offense really needs to show some kind of emotion/ambition. It almost seems like the offense is simply going through the motions rather than playing.

We've done it twice now, and both times it's backfired. I think we're really seeing why TO played the #1 offense against the #1 defense during the red/white game. This year and last year we set ourselves up. Both times, unrealistic goals were set by fans because we didn't see the best playing against the best. Hopefully in the future, we will go back to playing #1 against #1 early to squelsh unrealistic expectations.

We've done it twice now, and both times it's backfired.  I think we're really seeing why TO played the #1 offense against the #1 defense during the red/white game.  This year and last year we set ourselves up.  Both times, unrealistic goals were set by fans because we didn't see the best playing against the best.  Hopefully in the future, we will go back to playing #1 against #1 early to squelsh unrealistic expectations.

Actually there was a pretty decent mix of #1's and #2's participating on both sides of the ball in the Spring game. Although, I do think the Spring game does get some fans too hyped.

Check this out: http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.ph...=40entry21204

Junior, I agree 100%...I watched the Ohio State/Texas game, and the only turnover Ohio State had took away a chance for the buckeyes to march down the field for a possible winning field goal. And if it weren't for instant replay in that game, they would not have had the play where they lost the ball, because an Ohio State player fumbled on the kick-off...Just ask Joe Dailey about turnovers...if he would not have thrown as many turnovers, he may still be at Nebraska, and not at North Carolina...at least he will be able to watch a good basketball team play.