Eric Martin to DE

HuskerNMO

I thought we were weak at LB, so this one really surprised me. So what is the depth at LB?

I see your point. But... we do have returning for next year at the LB position Lavonte David (a junior next year), Will Compton (Jr), Sean Fisher(Jr or maybe a sophomore --- not sure), Alonzo Whaley (Jr) and we have David Santos coming in --- and Harvey Jackson is coming off a redshirt and is thought to be either a S or LB --- and another possibility is that redshirt (and supposed superstar) Corey Cooper will play a hybrid LBer. So... we have some talent.

Now at DE we return Meredith --- who is excellent already and will only get better -- he'll be a junior. Then.... well... Jason Ankrah and Josh Williams --- both to be sophomores --- each have seen time this season and have not been noticeable in their play (of course they have been in spot duty and are young so that they have not stood out is not, necessarily a bad or unexpected thing). We have Donovan Vestal, Tobi Okiyemi and Walker Ashburn coming off redshirt (none of whom were major recruits --- each may be good to great, who knows... but none were major recruits nationally).

So... we return 4 seasoned LBers --- namely David, Compton, Fisher and Whaley --- all know the system and have ample experience (plus there are guys like Holt and May --- walk-ons who have also seen fairly extensive time). At defensive end... we really return only one seasoned player... Meredith. Now Ankrah and Williams have some (albeit very, very little) experience --- but nowhere near enough to be called "seasoned.". So... we are perhaps more thin at DE than we are at LBer.

Plus... Martin may make a beast of a DE.

Final point... if Carl Pelini says we'll be pleased with this move then.... I full well expect that this will be a great move.

Thanks for the input Robsker! Well, if anything it points to needing to land a top LB recruit this year and several more the next year.

Personally, I think the "peso" and this quick defensive scheme has some weakness to a hard nose team that has a good OL and a solid run game ... something I think some of the Big 10 teams do well. I see some long sustained drives happening on us until we have LB's that can close the holes opened up on the defensive line front. I just don't see these quick DB's stopping the run as effectively as a LB.

I certainly don't question this scheme or my coaches ... it's just an observation that I'm sure Bo and company see. I expect some solid recruiting in the LB area in the coming years.

SheepdogMark

I thought we were weak at LB, so this one really surprised me. So what is the depth at LB?

I see your point. But... we do have returning for next year at the LB position Lavonte David (a junior next year), Will Compton (Jr), Sean Fisher(Jr or maybe a sophomore --- not sure), Alonzo Whaley (Jr) and we have David Santos coming in --- and Harvey Jackson is coming off a redshirt and is thought to be either a S or LB --- and another possibility is that redshirt (and supposed superstar) Corey Cooper will play a hybrid LBer. So... we have some talent.

Now at DE we return Meredith --- who is excellent already and will only get better -- he'll be a junior. Then.... well... Jason Ankrah and Josh Williams --- both to be sophomores --- each have seen time this season and have not been noticeable in their play (of course they have been in spot duty and are young so that they have not stood out is not, necessarily a bad or unexpected thing). We have Donovan Vestal, Tobi Okiyemi and Walker Ashburn coming off redshirt (none of whom were major recruits --- each may be good to great, who knows... but none were major recruits nationally).

So... we return 4 seasoned LBers --- namely David, Compton, Fisher and Whaley --- all know the system and have ample experience (plus there are guys like Holt and May --- walk-ons who have also seen fairly extensive time). At defensive end... we really return only one seasoned player... Meredith. Now Ankrah and Williams have some (albeit very, very little) experience --- but nowhere near enough to be called "seasoned.". So... we are perhaps more thin at DE than we are at LBer.

Plus... Martin may make a beast of a DE.

Final point... if Carl Pelini says we'll be pleased with this move then.... I full well expect that this will be a great move.

Thanks for the input Robsker! Well, if anything it points to needing to land a top LB recruit this year and several more the next year.

Personally, I think the "peso" and this quick defensive scheme has some weakness to a hard nose team that has a good OL and a solid run game ... something I think some of the Big 10 teams do well. I see some long sustained drives happening on us until we have LB's that can close the holes opened up on the defensive line front. I just don't see these quick DB's stopping the run as effectively as a LB.

I certainly don't question this scheme or my coaches ... it's just an observation that I'm sure Bo and company see. I expect some solid recruiting in the LB area in the coming years.

SheepdogMark

My thoughts exactly Sheepdog. To be honest, as excited as i am to see what this freak can do off the edge, i am just as dissapointed that he isn't excelling on the field as a LB. We WILL need physical run stuffing, snot bubbling LB'ers next year at some point....I trust the coaches and am excited, but a little freaked out at the same time.....