Anti Callahan Husker Fans

Anti-Husker Callahan Fans

This article was published on 13 Sep 2005. The author is Jeremy Divis

You may send the author an email by clicking on the name above, or you may add comments using the link at the end of this article.

Read other articles by this author. Have you clicked on the home page for other articles on The Observationist? The anti-Callahan Husker fans are blasting two wins. These fans are hypocritical. On one hand they claim that the NU staff that fired Solich during a 9-3 season was wrong and now these fans are guilty of the same hypocrisy.

Callahan and his coaches have put together one of the best defenses in recent Husker history. Some of his players may be leftovers from the Solich era, but Callahan and his group are providing the leadership necessary to motivate these players.

Does the offense need more work? Probably, but fans like Tom Shatel, a writer for the Omaha World-Herald, are always critical of Callahan and the NU Athletic Department. It is almost as if these types of fans will not allow the Solich bitterness to go away. These fans seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

Shatel writes, “Some folks are never satisfied. Everyone's a critic. But there were clouds of negativity, and anxiety, hanging over Husker Nation this week. You think Saturday night's game pumped in some sunshine and chased those clouds away? Doubtful” (September 11, 2005).

Or how about this, “Thanks to a lack of maintenance in recruiting, and a change in coaches and philosophy, Nebraska football has been reduced to a guess” (September 3, 2005).

In the September 3, 2005 edition of the Omaha World-Herald Barknecht quotes Solich as saying, “I feel good about the state of Nebraska itself, and I like many of the people in the athletic department. And I'll always appreciate what Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne built there, and was proud to have been a part of it. But I'm committed to Ohio University now. So tell the people I know back in Nebraska hello for me." If the man who was fired can let it go then shouldn’t the fans?

I am a relatively new Husker fan, but I cannot stand fans like Tom Shatel who claim to be fans of tradition, but then bash Callahan and the NU Athletic Department. The program needed a change in order to keep the tradition alive. Solich was not the answer and Steve Pederson knew it.

The Husker tradition is built on honesty, integrity, and leadership.

The Husker tradition is built on honesty, integrity, and leadership. The naysayer fans seem to think that the Husker football tradition means sticking with a group of old timers who keep the same old same old. People afraid of stepping outside the box and leading a group of kids on to bigger and greater things. Hindsight shows us that the Solich era provided very little Husker tradition other than he was a part of the Osborne crew.

All Husker fans should be grateful Steve Pederson had the courage to cut Solich and bring in a group of people with the ability to lead. A group of coaches who lead with integrity and honesty.

We need to keep our focus on the traditions that make our school and state great places to learn and live.

Go Big Red!

Wow, way too much garbage there. First Shatel is not a "Husker fan" he is from Mizzou, went to UM, and is an OWH columnist.

Second, proclaiming that this is one of the best defenses ever after just 2 games against suspect competition is asinine.

By him saying that the O "probably" needs work should tell you all you need to know about this guy. :dumdum

Wow, way too much garbage there. First Shatel is not a "Husker fan" he is from Mizzou, went to UM, and is an OWH columnist.

Second, proclaiming that this is one of the best defenses ever after just 2 games against suspect competition is asinine.

By him saying that the O "probably" needs work should tell you all you need to know about this guy. :dumdum

May I remind you we had 18 sacks and 4 defensive touchdowns in those two games? 3 of those TDs in one game (school record). That's real good... and not just in "recent husker history". Remember.. this is not the first time Nebraska has played weak opponents.. in fact we've played much worse. I think our defense will keep improving. But, based off these first two games.. compared to the first two games of every other season, I do not think that comment was "asinine", though it may not be accurate.. we'll have to see how the season goes, we may be saying, hey he was right, at the end of the season.... or we may all be saying crap, FF was right.. god forbid.

By him saying that the O "probably" needs work should tell you all you need to know about this guy.  :dumdum

Actually I agree. I don't know about asinine, but that comparison isn't very warranted at this point.

BC is suspect until proven not suspect, maybe kind of a communist way of looking at things but thats how i see the situation. i do think the defense is playing better as a team this year, whether they maintain that satus or not we'll just have to wait and see. comparing them with past defenses is kinda premature IMO. when BC has a season with 3 loses or less, he will no longer be suspect, proving his ability to applicate his coaching skills and whatnot to be somewhat equal to the previous staff IMO. i dont expect this kind of result this year, but within 2-3 more it should be within reason to have a season at least comperable to what FS left with. numbers and stats from each game and the season can tell you alot, but what it really comes down to is W's and L's, thats how a coach is rated no matter how they get them. i willing to watch and see slow improvement, im not asking for miricles, just improvement, no improvement is what will be hard for me to tolerate for very long.

This thread is a joke imo. Thinking that callahan and the football team is a joke now because pederson ruined everything doesn't mean your not a husker fan and haven't been a husker fan. Pederson screwed everything up and now we are going to have to live with not being very good and getting 5 wins a season and being happey with it I guess.

This thread is a joke imo. Thinking that callahan and the football team is a joke now because pederson ruined everything doesn't mean your not a husker fan and haven't been a husker fan. Pederson screwed everything up and now we are going to have to live with not being very good and getting 5 wins a season and being happey with it I guess.

To Admin:

Does Huskerboard have a 'V-chip' of sorts? So I can block certain posts from certain people that I don't really need to see?

I love the Huskers, always will. I know we could suck or be decent. And I'll live with either. But constant negativity gets old. If NU went 13-0, certain 'fans' would be pissed that SP didn't schedule a kickoff classic game. Or that the Nat'l Championship is tarnished because our schedule was soft. Rediculous.

I know it's all message board fodder, but still. I have faith that NU will take necessary steps if things get too out of hand. But right now we're 2-0, and until that changes, there is cause for concern to strengthen our weaknesses, but there is HARDLY a need to fire everyone, and dwell on what we can't control. Miss Frank? Move to Athens. Hate BC and SP? Send them an email. He11 yes I have my opinions on coach, AD, etc., and I voice them on occasion. NOT EVERY FREAKIN POST.

I'm going to my first, and probably only home game this Sat. I look forward to having a good time tailgating. But I'd be a little p*ssed if I walked into the stadium thinking we were going to lose 77-0, all the players quit the team, SP gave BC a raise for it, a comet came in and destroyed Memorial Stadium, I lost my truck, dog, and wife (oh wait, that's country music ;) ) all from comments from those around me. I love debate, and I love other's opinions, but geesh. Enjoy (or don't enjoy anything, I guess)moderation. :bang

You mean that you are resigned to five win seasons. I personally hope for more. You are the one with a storm cloud over you head. If your that disgusted with being 2-0, than I think you can point only to yourself as the problem, and quit blaming you inadequecy as a fan on Callahan's apparant adequecy as a coach. Why dont you walk up to Daniel Bullucks, who led the team in tackles and had a fumble recovery for a touchdown and tell him that it didnt mean anything because Wake sucked anyways. See what he says. Be happy that we won and that we are two and O, not unhappy because of your opinion, which seems to surface a whole lot in lue of facts in you posts.

This thread is a joke imo.  Thinking that callahan and the football team is a joke now because pederson ruined everything doesn't mean your not a husker fan and haven't been a husker fan.  Pederson screwed everything up and now we are going to have to live with not being very good and getting 5 wins a season and being happey with it I guess.

That's just it ole Barney...No one really cares about your opinion! dedhoarse

This thread is a joke imo.  Thinking that callahan and the football team is a joke now because pederson ruined everything doesn't mean your not a husker fan and haven't been a husker fan.  Pederson screwed everything up and now we are going to have to live with not being very good and getting 5 wins a season and being happey with it I guess.

To Admin:

Does Huskerboard have a 'V-chip' of sorts? So I can block certain posts from certain people that I don't really need to see?

I love the Huskers, always will. I know we could suck or be decent. And I'll live with either. But constant negativity gets old. If NU went 13-0, certain 'fans' would be pissed that SP didn't schedule a kickoff classic game. Or that the Nat'l Championship is tarnished because our schedule was soft. Rediculous.

I know it's all message board fodder, but still. I have faith that NU will take necessary steps if things get too out of hand. But right now we're 2-0, and until that changes, there is cause for concern to strengthen our weaknesses, but there is HARDLY a need to fire everyone, and dwell on what we can't control. Miss Frank? Move to Athens. Hate BC and SP? Send them an email. He11 yes I have my opinions on coach, AD, etc., and I voice them on occasion. NOT EVERY FREAKIN POST.

I'm going to my first, and probably only home game this Sat. I look forward to having a good time tailgating. But I'd be a little p*ssed if I walked into the stadium thinking we were going to lose 77-0, all the players quit the team, SP gave BC a raise for it, a comet came in and destroyed Memorial Stadium, I lost my truck, dog, and wife (oh wait, that's country music ;) ) all from comments from those around me. I love debate, and I love other's opinions, but geesh. Enjoy (or don't enjoy anything, I guess)moderation. :bang

Note to admins.. I could probably code something to accomodate members that want a feature like this.

I've been a Husker fan all my life, growing up in southeast Nebraska, now residing in Pa. Over the years I do feel we Husker fans have become so damn spoiled we don't know how to take losing seasons. Myself, I think BC is doing a decent job. Everyother university that has tried this west coast offense has went through a couple of tough years getting their personnel in place. Oh, I'll be the first to tell you that I really miss that smashmouth option style football but that is what I was used to for 40 years. I agree that our defense looks good and I'll give them time to get better and the next couple of years should be a good time for all Husker fans. As for the offense, the west coast playbook takes a lot of repitition to learn, not only for the QB but for all of the offense, its so diversified, hell it takes pro QB's a couple years to adjust to, the number of audibles alone from each play is staggering, so lets give all these young players a chance. I am a proud Husker fan and as a member of the Pennsylvania for Huskers Booster Club I envy all of you out there because you get to witness college football every Saturday like no other place in the world. I turned on the WF game last week and just seeing that red stadium put chills up my spine, it always does and always will. At ease everyone for a second, take a step back and appreciate NU football for what it is and has been for years, the best damn college football environment in the land. GO HUSKERS

To Admin:

The board doesn't have a built in ignore feature, as you are speaking of.

Thanks for volunteering your help Kid, I'll make Blackshirt aware.

Thanks guys.

From that same article, I took this email, and it pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Commentor: BryanH -- E-Mail:

Subject: Death of the Huskers

Date Posted: 2005-09-14 12:39:32

Comment: There are a number of reasons why Solich was fired. The fact that he lost control of his staff and his family life most certainly contributed to the decision to fire Solich. Overall, I can't say I disagree with the decision to let him go.

Hiring Callahan, however, is probably the worst mistake that this program has ever made. In effect, we hired a coach who was a temporary re-placement for Gruden. A man, when given the chance to implement his own system with professional players, failed miserably.

And I mean miserably. His response to this failure, was calling his Raiders, "The Dumbest team in America." This comment is telling not only for the lack of respect it shows, but also for the inability of Callahan to appreciate that his offensive system (a highly modified version of the West Coast offense) is simply too complex even for the pros.

If you take that same system and try to implement it into the college ranks you will inevitably fail. College football players are not exactly the brightest of folks. But hey, I teach college, and I can tell you that college students in general aren't all that bright. Quite frankly, they lack an appreciation for the level of determination and commitment it takes to excel. The best one can do in college, then, is to implement a system that 1) recruits the best players and 2) utilizes those players in such a way as to score more than your opponents. In the famous words of Herman Edwards, "You play to win the game." Winning is not about passing more, or running new routes or whatever the hell is in Callahan's playbook. Rather, it boils down to having the best players operating within a system that they understand and can execute. Quite frankly, if professional football players could not properly implemet his system (and got angry about it because they would rather win that run his crazy plays), then what can we expect from Callahan as the head coach of the Huskers?

Well, let's look back to last year. He insults the fans at Oklahoma, calling them, "F-ing Hillbillies!" Ok, you might say, they are hillbillies. But its not as if Callahan hasn't been around rabid football fans before. He coached at Oakland for Pete's sake. It is simply in Callahan's nature to, when the chips are down, break out the insults. He did it in the pros, he did it in college. If and when Callahan is let go from our program, we will be the ones he is calling "F-ing hillbillies," I guarentee it.

Most people thought that implementig a pro-style offense and pro-style practices, and pro-style this and that would be a good thing. However, college is not the pros. Callahan came in woefully overestimating what he could accomplish in the college ranks. Granted, he paired things down this year. However, his stubborness will never allow him to work inside of the NCAA limitations. Ultimately we will never have a team that is capable of playing Callahan's way because 1) they are not smart enough 2) they don't have the time to become smart enough.

Think about it. We will not be able to implement his system in a sustainable way. One of the benefits of blowing out so many opponents in the past was the opportunity to give 2nd, 3rd, etc string players a chance for game experience. How much depth did you see on the field over the last season and the last two games? Virtually none. And these are our cake-walk games. Maine, Wake... They schedule these games to work out the kinks, give playing time to our reserves and give us depth. By the time a QB (who would have to be Tom Brady to run it effectively) gets into the groove, he's graduating. Then what? Who will come in? Someone with little or no game experience and little or no work with the first string? Probably.

Finally, Callahan refuses to win games. Rather than run the ball (i.e. almost every single game last year) and utilize the strengths of the players he has, he just sticks to his system... If you define crazy as performing the same actions and expecting different results then that, my friends, is crazy...

Finally, Callahan will never stick out his career here. A year or two after a good solid winning streak, when the sports commentators are all goo-goo over the way "Callahan turned the program around and really has this team looking like Nebraska again," he's gone. And if he doesn't make a run for the Big 12 championship within the next three years, he'll be let go anyway... Right after Pederson is run out on a rail...