Howdy Huskers

First, let me say that I am also a big Husker fan as my entire family comes from Nebraska and most of them graduated from UNL. So needless to say, I come in peace.

Second, I applaud Nebraska for leaving the Big 12. I wish/hope A&M has the opportunity to go to the SEC when the Big 12 finally falls apart. Good luck in the Big 10.

Finally, to our game...

I've been perusing this board for a week now and wanted to chime in to put my 2 cents in.

I think Nebraska is a great team when they play to their potential. I honestly didn't think they would get beat this season the way they were playing at the start of the year. Ever since the Texas game, NU has been very two faced. One game they will look like one of Coach O's teams in the 90's and the next game look like a Coach Callahan team. I still can't put my finger on the Huskers and to be honest, would not be surprised by any outcome I see tonight.

A few key things I would like to touch on that I have read on this board...

1) You haven't played in a venue like Kyle Field. Yeah, Washington doesn't count. Just because Washington has a history of being one of the toughest stadiums in the country, doesn't mean it always is. The same can be said about Kyle Field for most of the past decade. People would say Kyle isn't as intimidating anymore. Well, alot of that has to do with the team playing at the stadium. It's kinda hard for any crowd to make a difference when you're getting boatraced. Nebraska was winning 14-0 at Washington before the clock hit 10 minutes left in the first.

In my opinion, jumping out to a sizable lead tonight against A&M is key. And by that I mean a two score lead. Do that, and the crowd will be alot easier to deal with. On the other side of the coin, if A&M takes the lead or it is close the entire game, KYLE FIELD WILL HAVE AN IMPACT AT SOME POINT. I'm not saying Martinez will poop all over himself but at some point, it will cost NU a timeout, a false start, a miscommunication...it will just happen. Martinez is a warrior and I love the guy, but he is human. I've seen Heisman trophy winners come into Kyle Field and have EXTREME problems. To think it won't have an effect on T-Magic is wishful thinking.

2) I've seen some people on various boards predicting a Husker win in dominant fashion. Based on what? The pre-Tannehill Aggies? If Tannehill had started the season, you're looking at a 9-1 A&M team at worst and we'd be looking at a top 10 matchup tonight and a likely preview of the Big 12 Championship game. Is Tannehill God? No, far from it. But he isn't the type of guy who is going to be careless with the football and hurt your football team. He's a mobile QB with an accurate arm who will be able to make some big plays.

3) A&M's defense. While on paper they look very average, they are far from it. They will give up some yards from time to time but they have risen to the occassion all season long...especially since Tannehill took over the team at QB. I think it is also worth noting that the "Wrecking Crew" has played its best football of the season in the 4th quarter. Through 10 games, opponents have managed to score only 25 points in the 4th quarter. This kind of goes back to my Kyle Field point...if this thing is close in the fourth, Nebraska is going to have a tough time. If you need any other convincing, A&M stopped OKLAHOMA on THREE GOALLINE STANDS. Two of those stands were on OU's final two possessions when they were down only 2 TD's. That wasn't a fluke. You don't just stop Demarco Murray and co. 12 times inside the 5 yardline by chance. So as I said before, A&M will give up some yards on D but when it comes down to it, they have proven all year long to rise to the occassion.

Good luck tonight, Huskers. For those of yall coming down to Kyle Field, I hope you enjoy your stay. For you first timers, I think you will find alot of similarities between the two fan bases. IMO the best two fan bases in the country.

Oh yeah, my prediction...

Texas A&M 27

Nebraska 23

Gig 'em Aggies and Go Big Red

First, let me say that I am also a big Husker fan as my entire family comes from Nebraska and most of them graduated from UNL. So needless to say, I come in peace.

Second, I applaud Nebraska for leaving the Big 12. I wish/hope A&M has the opportunity to go to the SEC when the Big 12 finally falls apart. Good luck in the Big 10.

Finally, to our game...

I've been perusing this board for a week now and wanted to chime in to put my 2 cents in.

I think Nebraska is a great team when they play to their potential. I honestly didn't think they would get beat this season the way they were playing at the start of the year. Ever since the Texas game, NU has been very two faced. One game they will look like one of Coach O's teams in the 90's and the next game look like a Coach Callahan team. I still can't put my finger on the Huskers and to be honest, would not be surprised by any outcome I see tonight.

A few key things I would like to touch on that I have read on this board...

1) You haven't played in a venue like Kyle Field. Yeah, Washington doesn't count. Just because Washington has a history of being one of the toughest stadiums in the country, doesn't mean it always is. The same can be said about Kyle Field for most of the past decade. People would say Kyle isn't as intimidating anymore. Well, alot of that has to do with the team playing at the stadium. It's kinda hard for any crowd to make a difference when you're getting boatraced. Nebraska was winning 14-0 at Washington before the clock hit 10 minutes left in the first.

In my opinion, jumping out to a sizable lead tonight against A&M is key. And by that I mean a two score lead. Do that, and the crowd will be alot easier to deal with. On the other side of the coin, if A&M takes the lead or it is close the entire game, KYLE FIELD WILL HAVE AN IMPACT AT SOME POINT. I'm not saying Martinez will poop all over himself but at some point, it will cost NU a timeout, a false start, a miscommunication...it will just happen. Martinez is a warrior and I love the guy, but he is human. I've seen Heisman trophy winners come into Kyle Field and have EXTREME problems. To think it won't have an effect on T-Magic is wishful thinking.

2) I've seen some people on various boards predicting a Husker win in dominant fashion. Based on what? The pre-Tannehill Aggies? If Tannehill had started the season, you're looking at a 9-1 A&M team at worst and we'd be looking at a top 10 matchup and a likely preview of the Big 12 Championship game. Is Tannehill God? No, far from it. But he isn't the type of guy who is going to hurt you. He's a mobile QB with an accurate arm who will be able to make some big plays.

3) A&M's defense. While on paper they look very average, they are far from it. They will give up some yards from time to time but they have risen to the occassion all season long...especially since Tannehill took over the team at QB. I think it is also worth noting that the "Wrecking Crew" has played its best football all season in the 4th quarter. Through 10 games, opponents have managed to score only 25 points in the 4th quarter. This kind of goes back to my Kyle Field point...if this thing is close in the fourth, Nebraska is going to have a tough time. If you need any other convincing, A&M stopped OKLAHOMA on THREE GOALLINE STANDS. That wasn't a fluke. So as I said before, A&M will give up some yards on D but when it comes down to it, they have proven all year long to rise to the occassion.

Good luck tonight, Huskers. For those of yall coming down to Kyle Field, I hope you enjoy your stay. For you first timers, I think you will find alot of similarities among the two fan bases. IMO the best two fan bases in the country.

Oh yeah, my prediction...

Texas A&M 27

Nebraska 23

Gig 'em Aggies and Go Big Red

Enjoyed the read. Welcome to the board.

A Dallas Husker fan who grew up in Omaha,

SheepdogMark

Haha It very well could be the other way around. Who knows. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome tonight.

I know when NU is at full strength and hitting on all cylinders, there might not be a team in the country better than Nebraska. I've also seen Nebraska beat ISU in OT 31-30 (albeit with Green at QB) and KU 20-6 (who is IMO one of the worst Big 12 teams of all time).

I find it hard to believe that Martinez is at 90% like Bo says he is. I think we can all say that 90% usually means 70% or less. Nebraska needs to have Martinez at or near 100% to have a GOOD shot at winning this game. Otherwise, it's a toss up for Nebraska at best. I've seen NU play alot and Martinez is the one that makes that team go. It's Martinez who will make the big play or create the open hole for Helu or Burkhead. Teams have to respect Martinez. With him not being 100%, a little more attention can be paid to Helu or Burkhead which, in turn, will make the Husker O less potent. The Mack Truck holes aren't there anymore and the zone-read isn't that easy of a read anymore.

I really think it's going to come down to a turnover. Both defenses will make big plays and I think it will come down to who makes the biggest one.

I will say that the longer it is a closer game, the more A&M's chances increase. As I said before, Kyle Field is f'ing LOUD. If the game is close, the 12th Man will be a difference maker. Whether that is forcing NU to use a TO when they wouldn't usually have to. A miscommunication due to crowd noise. A key false start making third and short into third and long. Any one of those events can mean the difference between winning and losing late in the game when the score is close.

Here's to a good game, Huskers.

A&M fans don't really seem to get the whole crowd noise point we've been trying to get across.

First of all, Washington's stadium is louder than Texas A&M's. It's not that their crowd is better, but because of the architecture of the stadium, it's louder.

However, that doesn't matter. The point Nebraska's fans are trying to make is that when this team goes on the road, they don't just deal with crowd noise well. They thrive on it. It motivates them, it helps them focus, it makes them sharper. This isn't a matter of our guys not being afraid of crowd noise. It's a matter of them looking forward to it.

The crowd noise may make us take a timeout or a false start at some point, but that happened at Washington too. We still won by 35 points. If the crowd noise is a major factor in this game, I think it's going to be that it gives a boost to A&M's defense, which of course will make it harder on us. But the crowd noise isn't going to intimidate us - our mindset going on the road doesn't allow for that to happen.

A&M fans don't really seem to get the whole crowd noise point we've been trying to get across.

First of all, Washington's stadium is louder than Texas A&M's. It's not that their crowd is better, but because of the architecture of the stadium, it's louder.

However, that doesn't matter. The point Nebraska's fans are trying to make is that when this team goes on the road, they don't just deal with crowd noise well. They thrive on it. It motivates them, it helps them focus, it makes them sharper. This isn't a matter of our guys not being afraid of crowd noise. It's a matter of them looking forward to it.

The crowd noise may make us take a timeout or a false start at some point, but that happened at Washington too. We still won by 35 points. If the crowd noise is a major factor in this game, I think it's going to be that it gives a boost to A&M's defense, which of course will make it harder on us. But the crowd noise isn't going to intimidate us - our mindset going on the road doesn't allow for that to happen.

I never said it was going to intimidate you. I'm saying it's just natural to have an effect on some things. Not to mention that Washington is a bad team who was down 14-0 to NU within the first five minutes of a game. Sorry, but that's not an accurate depiction of anything you will hear tonight if the game is close.

And Kyle Field isn't a typical stadium. Look at the three tiered side on the right. That entire side is students who yell the entire game. 30,000 students. It's not like other college stadiums who stick their small student allotment in the corners of the field so they can make money selling tickets close to midfield. At A&M, an entire side from endzone to endzone is filled 3 tiers high with 30k students.

KyleField.jpg

Kyle is extraordinary in that it doesn't just get loud for 3rd or 4th down. There is noise from 1st-4th down and gets even louder as it gets to 2nd, 3rd and 4th down.

Hell, I was at the OU-Tech game in 2008 that alot of Sooners claim is the loudest Owen has ever been and I've heard Kyle Field louder during a timeout during the 2004 OU game.

Look, this is the biggest game at Kyle in probably 10 years. If the 12th Man has a chance to make a difference, BELIEVE ME, IT WILL. Aggies have been waiting a long time to get back on the big stage. Fans are hungry. If Nebraska has a big drive late in the game, Kyle will be DEAFENING every second of that drive.

I never said it was going to intimidate you. I'm saying it's just natural to have an effect on some things. Not to mention that Washington is a bad team who was down 14-0 to NU within the first five minutes of a game. Sorry, but that's not an accurate depiction of anything you will hear tonight if the game is close.

And Kyle Field isn't a typical stadium. Look at the three tiered side on the right. That entire side is students who yell the entire game. 30,000 students. It's not like other college stadiums who stick their small student allotment in the corners of the field so they can make money selling tickets close to midfield. At A&M, an entire side from endzone to endzone is filled 3 tiers high with 30k students.

KyleField.jpg

Kyle is extraordinary in that it doesn't just get loud for 3rd or 4th down. There is noise from 1st-4th down and gets even louder as it gets to 2nd, 3rd and 4th down.

Hell, I was at the OU-Tech game in 2008 that alot of Sooners claim is the loudest Owen has ever been and I've heard Kyle Field louder during a timeout during the 2004 OU game.

Look, this is the biggest game at Kyle in probably 10 years. If the 12th Man has a chance to make a difference, BELIEVE ME, IT WILL. Aggies have been waiting a long time to get back on the big stage. Fans are hungry. If Nebraska has a big drive late in the game, Kyle will be DEAFENING every second of that drive.

You are in for a long night, A stadium doesn't get loud if the crowd doesn't have anything to cheer for! :bonesflag: