Pelini Needs To Act More Like COach Osborne

Drumline,

If you have someone yelling at you continously, calling you every name in the world, spitting all over you when he talks, eyes bulging, veins throbbing, for the whole game, just maybe, you will see things differently if it is borderline, a way at getting back for the beating you have taken. I do not know that it has happened, but my guess is that is what happened last night.

No one doing their job should have to put up with what Pelini does to officials. I would almost bet he gets some type of reprimand form the conference and certainly form Coach Osborne.

We lost the game last night, not due to officiating, we lost it due to coaching and the actions of the coaching staff.

I think Bo is a great coach, but his sideline actions are not what Nebraska needs. Coaches are under a microscope, with internet and TV coverage. He needs to change them, or my guess is he will not be here much longer.

I imagine that had they actually been doing their job (calling a fair, unbiased game) last night instead of, well, whatever the heck they were doing, Bo wouldn't have been tearing them a new one all night.

Drumline,

If you have someone yelling at you continously, calling you every name in the world, spitting all over you when he talks, eyes bulging, veins throbbing, for the whole game, just maybe, you will see things differently if it is borderline, a way at getting back for the beating you have taken. I do not know that it has happened, but my guess is that is what happened last night.

No one doing their job should have to put up with what Pelini does to officials. I would almost bet he gets some type of reprimand form the conference and certainly form Coach Osborne.

We lost the game last night, not due to officiating, we lost it due to coaching and the actions of the coaching staff.

I think Bo is a great coach, but his sideline actions are not what Nebraska needs. Coaches are under a microscope, with internet and TV coverage. He needs to change them, or my guess is he will not be here much longer.

Post of the year.

I imagine that had they actually been doing their job (calling a fair, unbiased game) last night instead of, well, whatever the heck they were doing, Bo wouldn't have been tearing them a new one all night.

My only real problem with Bo's temper is that it seems counter productive at times. When we have to call a timeout because we didn't get a play in at a key point, the time out is better used to make sure you plan that play right, not to give Bo extra time to tear into someone. Can't he yell at the other coaches and QB or whoever when reviewing the films? It wastes time and probably makes everyone more scared to make another mistake than fired up. But Bo knows how to motivate kids better than I do.

Likewise with Martinez, all he needed to do was to walk by and say "knock off that <whatever it was>, and we're going to talk more about that on Monday". Make a rep for having players dreading being called onto the carpet the day after a game and you don't need to scream in their face on TV.

As for the refs, that game just snowballed. They call a fair game, Bo keeps his temper. It goes bad, he loses it. It gets worse, he gets worse. At some point maybe he should just put his arms out and ask "who do we have to screw to get a call around here" (or better yet, say nothing) rather than raising the intensity on every bad call.

Posted this earlier but do we want this guy back to defend our players against bullsh#t calls?

ncf_i_callahan_200.jpg

I really don't understand how bringing up Callahan refutes anything. We're not talking about Callahan, we're talking about Bo.

Was Callahan a terrible coach in almost every way? Yes.

Does Pelini need to work on keeping himself in check a bit more? Yes.

These things can coexist. Saying Bo needs to chill sometimes is not the equivalent of saying he needs to stand there with a blank face all game. Everyone wants a passionate coach who will stand up for our players. Bo does that, and it's great. The issue is that there have been multiple times when it's just over the top, and he needs to control that. Going into meltdown mode like he does sometimes doesn't accomplish anything.

You also need to look at how stuff like this reflects on the school. The perception that has developed of him is that he's an a-hole hothead. Regardless of how true that is, the perception still exists and plays a dominate roll in how he and our program are viewed.

Keep being passionate, just temper the highs a little.

A passionate coach in a big game in a hostile environment, locked in a defensive battle where one call can make a huge difference in the game. Huge pressure situation in a program that puts such a huge emphasis on winning, you're trying to get your schemes and game plan right, deal with an injured quarterback, deal with boneheaded mistakes by your players, and on top of that there is the huge penalty disparity and huge calls that cost us greatly. Say whatever you want about the conference change and bad calls and whatnot, but anyone in that situation would be stressed out and downright furious. I know I was outraged at home on my couch, let alone dealing with all this crap in front of 90,000 screaming people.

Go get 'em Bo.

edit: are we REALLY at the point where we lose by a field goal late in the 4th quarter on the road to a top 20 team because of a blown call, and we start comparing Bo to Bill Callahan? How f'ing stupid are you people...