Play the freshmen!

np_husker

i was not bashing the players. i just think they need to relax and have fun.

I'm sure Lucky was having lots of fun when he slipped, made one mistake, and never saw the field again. :rolleyes:

If that's what I was to expect as a RB out there, I'd probably be nervous, tight, and looking tentative too. :(

Do you know anything about Pitt's defense as far a schemes??? did I hear a no. They play cover two over the top and aggresive man coverage underneath. That makes them succeptible to two things. Underneath rub and misdirection plays, which we ran alot of, and tightends matched up on linebackers running down the seam, which we ran, but couldnt execute because our tightends cant catch, or line up properly. I have no issue with the play calling in this game. If you didnt notice Ross had over THIRTY carries. We werent passing first and running second, it was the other way around. Fricken penalties absolutely killed us. Its hard to run the ball over and over again when you crank off a six yarder, get a holding or illegal formation call, and have 1 and 20 or 15.

:horns2

If we had a full team of Callahan recruits with two or three years experience under their belts things would be running smoothly. Callahan's play calling is actually pretty good. It's just the players are not ready for this level of WC Offense yet. The players are at times confused and making dumb mistakes. To top it off our offensive line is weak and our receiving ranks are too thin. We lost too many receivers before the season even started. Our receivers are a weakness right now. So Coach needs to simply call more running plays. But Callahan is right when he says the team is very close to becoming very productive. As our freshmen get more experience Callahan will use them more. And the more experience they get the better our offense will get. So the big question is what should Callahan do to get the newbies on the field? Clearly he is trying to ease them into the system. After all playing in front of 1000 high school students is much different than playing in front of 78,000 in Lincoln. I favor getting them on the field faster. The way our offense is playing we will lose at least a couple of games so why not get Beck on the field. He might just be the spark we need.

As an engineer i tend to look at problems in sort of a sequential/logical way. I know I'm a nerd but it usually works pretty well. If you run across a problem that's difficult to solve there's a few ways to go about it. Probably the least effective way is to simply start trying things ad-hoc and hoping for the best.

In a nerdy sort of way i think this can be applied to the husker offense as well. There's no question that mental mistakes have killed us lately, and that few plays are being executed to perfection. But simply plugging in new guys and hoping for the best makes little sense. Maybe the new guys have been underused, but I doubt Callahan is putting anyone on the field but those players he has the most confidence in.

I'm all for designing some plays to get the ball in the hands of Lucky and Glenn, and running them in the regular rotation in the sets and formations they've learned so far. Beck, I imagine, still has a lot to learn as the qb position is much more difficult and Taylor hasn't lost any games for us to date. In fact, if anyone on offense won last week's game for us I would say it was Taylor because of the dive into the endzone and then the dive out of the endzone to avoid the safety.

TO was a master at setting players up to succeed. With Berringer and then Turman in 94 he never asked them to win the game for him, just to run an already potent offense. I'm guessing/hoping that's what Callahan is trying to do as well-as in using the new guys in situations where he thinks they'll succeed.

As an engineer i tend to look at problems in sort of a sequential/logical way. I know I'm a nerd but it usually works pretty well. If you run across a problem that's difficult to solve there's a few ways to go about it. Probably the least effective way is to simply start trying things ad-hoc and hoping for the best.

In a nerdy sort of way i think this can be applied to the husker offense as well. There's no question that mental mistakes have killed us lately, and that few plays are being executed to perfection. But simply plugging in new guys and hoping for the best makes little sense. Maybe the new guys have been underused, but I doubt Callahan is putting anyone on the field but those players he has the most confidence in.

I'm all for designing some plays to get the ball in the hands of Lucky and Glenn, and running them in the regular rotation in the sets and formations they've learned so far. Beck, I imagine, still has a lot to learn as the qb position is much more difficult and Taylor hasn't lost any games for us to date. In fact, if anyone on offense won last week's game for us I would say it was Taylor because of the dive into the endzone and then the dive out of the endzone to avoid the safety.

TO was a master at setting players up to succeed. With Berringer and then Turman in 94 he never asked them to win the game for him, just to run an already potent offense. I'm guessing/hoping that's what Callahan is trying to do as well-as in using the new guys in situations where he thinks they'll succeed.

I like this post. Make sense to me.