Play the freshmen!

np_husker

and if they play the freshmen in critical situations and they fumble or have an interception and lose the game - then you would be all over Callahan and co. that they should not have been in the game -- I think the coaches are trying to win AND get the frosh and jucos some game experience.

:cheers

and if they  play the freshmen in critical situations and they fumble or have an interception and lose the game  -  then you would be all over Callahan and co.  that they should not have been in the game  --  I think the coaches are trying to win AND get the frosh and jucos some game experience.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't with some people :thumbs Good think "Listen to Joe Bob" isn't part of Cally's regiment.

:dis are you kidding me - it is the ONLY system thet he knows - so yes he is going to run that offense - he CAN'T run the option because he knows nothing about it dedhoarse

I dont expect him to run option, but the version of the WCO that he runs is way too complicated for college kids to learn in a year or two. It has never had any real success in college football.

If the WCO is so dynamic, I would expect for him to call plays that go along with the strengths of the team. billy c is rather stubborn and arrogant, that was one of the biggest knocks against him in Oakland.

The plays they are calling now are really no more complex than some high schools around the country are calling. Last year at this time it may have been a problem with complexity, but these days, not to much.

Yesterday, the offense itself was it's biggest hurdle. We can't have 11 penalties for 91 yards again and expect to win many games. Mistakes in execution were the offenses biggest problems yesterday IMO. However, the Pitt D did play decent so give them a little credit, but we just can't keep shooting ourselves in the foot with dumb procedure type penalties and holding.

Thank You Dave

:dis    are you kidding me  -  it is the ONLY system thet he knows  -  so yes he is going to run that offense  -  he CAN'T  run the option because he knows nothing about it  dedhoarse

I dont expect him to run option, but the version of the WCO that he runs is way too complicated for college kids to learn in a year or two. It has never had any real success in college football.

If the WCO is so dynamic, I would expect for him to call plays that go along with the strengths of the team. billy c is rather stubborn and arrogant, that was one of the biggest knocks against him in Oakland.

This is the precise point I have been trying to make. His system might work eventually, but presently there is no way. Thus, the sensical thing to is simplify the system until it becomes apparent our boys are ready for the next step. It is simply too difficult as is. Sorry for truly dedhoarse .

:dis

after the last two games cally and co were accused of being to vanilla. throw in a few new plays, and formations and all of a sudden its too complex??

this system can and will work at this level!!! the offense made some very good progress from last week...anyone see the 1st half?????? the 2nd half was lost due to mental errors!! this is not a complexity issue. this is lack of concentration.

IMO, the players are putting too much pressure on themselves and possibly trying too hard... they just need to relax, line up correctly and execute. the rest will follow.

This, again, is a coaching problem. My favorite sight when I was watching the game on the telly, was that Callahan seldom, if ever, looked up from the little sheet of paper that his nose was buried in. To him, his players are no more than statistics, and the play on the field proves it. Your right, we did have a wonderful first half, for the most part. Definitally a large improvement over the past two games. But what does that mean for Callahan's halftime speech? Did he simlpy recite numbers to them, and tell them their numbers were better or worse in certain areas? College ball is a mental game, and if your coach isn't helping to create some sort of supportive environment, the game is not going to go our way. When Father Tom was coach, he got his players to love him, and to want to win because Father Tom wanted them to win. The game no longer was about the fans, or individual performances. The players were united behind their coach, and ultimately behind each other. Stop bashing the poor players, and look to the way the team is being managed.

STOP!!! Before you believe I am suggesting that Callahan needs to be replaced. Not at all!!! He simply needs to change tactics slightly. Do something that will spark our players into a frenzy. Become more personable. Something. This is what I am suggesting. A combination of a little understanding concerning the ability of his team, and a little more realization that his players are human, and this could change the outlook of this team tremendously.

This, again, is a coaching problem. My favorite sight when I was watching the game on the telly, was that Callahan seldom, if ever, looked up from the little sheet of paper that his nose was buried in.

Funny, a couple times he about ran all the way out on to the field doing what you would call "coaching". It's the difference between being there and seeing what ABC shows you.

The coaching staff is as lively as any coaching staff when on the sidelines. :thumbs

i was not bashing the players. i just think they need to relax and have fun. this is a young team and the just need to learn to play together...that will come.

but the blame does not lie soley with the coaching staff. from what i have seen and read, the players are in pretty tight with the coaching staff. so that apprently is not the problem. also, the coaches must be doing something right, as i have seen improvements after every game.. maybe we fans just need to be patient and let the coaches and players do what the do best!

IMO the coaching staff is in a catch 22. no matter what the do, it will be wrong!

This, again, is a coaching problem. My favorite sight when I was watching the game on the telly, was that Callahan seldom, if ever, looked up from the little sheet of paper that his nose was buried in.

Funny, a couple times he about ran all the way out on to the field doing what you would call "coaching". It's the difference between being there and seeing what ABC shows you.

The coaching staff is as lively as any coaching staff when on the sidelines. :thumbs

That may well be, but when stupid penalties were happening left and right, Callahan looked up only briefly, and then went right back to his piece of paper. I could be wrong, but there should have been a more frustrated Callahan then there was on that field. Why wasn't there? Because he knew it was his fault those penalties were happening? Or because he wasn't passionate enough? I dunno, just speaking my mind here.

That may well be, but when stupid penalties were happening left and right, Callahan looked up only briefly, and then went right back to his piece of paper. I could be wrong, but there should have been a more frustrated Callahan then there was on that field. Why wasn't there? Because he knew it was his fault those penalties were happening? Or because he wasn't passionate enough? I dunno, just speaking my mind here.

So instead he should be chewing out the kids when they make a mistake?

... are you saying ABC sports didn't show the whole story. that Brent Pussberger may be... dare i say... biased?

... i... i don't know what to think any more.