Why Does Our Team Suck!!!

mcrooks7

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for all the Husker faithful, but it seems we might have to be prepared for another stagnant season. Remember last year? Uh oh.

Given that our offensive line looked a little improved during the game during the first half of play does not excuse the overall play of our boys. The first half was plagued with missed opportunities and the second half wasn't even that good. On the bright side, Taylor was making mostly good decisions on the field, which is a level of play that we have been missing at that position for several years.

Yet, the D-line, which has been brightly lauded all year, let us down on several occasions, allowing a bigger game on the ground then we have let up all year. This worries me when we play Oklahoma, a team that smells like rotten fish, ready for the taking from any team that is capable of containing Peterson. I'm not so sure if we are that team. The rest of the Big 12 will be having their way with us all year, and it will begin next week against Iowa State.

After watching them manhandle Iowa, they are ready to stain their vicious talons with the blood of our beloved Herbie. They will be able to contain Ross and pick off Taylor, if not simply sack him on every attempt to pass. This fault, I do not believe, rests solely on the heads of our players.

Callahan, as talented as I believe he is in a Pro football coaching position, does not belong at the college level, nor does he belong at Nebraska. I thank him for what he has done for the recruiting department, but he isn't a personable head coach, which is almost a necessity at the college level, nor can he adequately teach children all of the necessary skills in order to succeed in this complicated system. Our team was called for more illegal formation penalties than I have seen in an entire year for the entire NCAA, and once even twice in a row. The routes that Callahan was calling were too complex and time consuming to work, especially with the offensive line that is hardly capable of creating the necessary pocket for a regular college receiver route to open, and the running plays were poorly timed and executed, with Cory Ross running straight into a mass of action when open green was available for him to explore had he been coached to improvise when the occasion called for it. These are coaching mistakes, and come to rest squarely on the shoulders of head coach Callahan.

People lauded his desire to transform this offense no matter what last year, saying that he was a good coach for sticking to his principals and the style of offense that he wanted to play. I say that this is a bunch of bullocks! Nebraska deserves to win, and the potential is there for our offense to play very well in a slightly simpler system. Callahan has to realize that the transformation should be gradual. You are never going to be able to completely revamp the playing style of any university program overnight.

Simplifying the system only slightly could, I think, spark this team into producing successful offense drives, and, in turn, could result in even our team even becoming a leader of the Big 12. Yet, at the rate we are improving, and due to the stubbornness of coach Callahan, we are not going to be able to make anything of this year, and will have to be satisfied with a lot of performances like today, or worse. So, Husker faithful, hold onto hope and happiness of our 3-0 start for one more week, until the tapestry all starts to unravel.

Yes, I feel your pain...saying that, do we have to play TT? The thing I HATE about Tech is their line spread...is it even legal?!?! I gotta hand it to Leach, he does it like no one else. They make it next to impossible for teams to have an effect on the QB...and that is NOT a good thing for the Blackshirts.

It actually blows my mind about TT. They let down BIG. And they shouldn't. And damn, I hope Corn Nation just does NOT agree with them. I'll get burned for this, but I'd rather play A&M than these guys. No, TT won't go to a BCS. They'll fly under the Nat'l radar as usual. But they're like a brown recluse. If ya gotta face it, you're not gonna like it.

Yet, the D-line, which has been brightly lauded all year, let us down on several occasions, allowing a bigger game on the ground then we have let up all year.

You are right. This defense really sucks. What the f#ck is wrong with them? Bad coaching, bad players or both? Giving up 1 touchdown in the first 3 games combined and giving up 9 points in the last 2 games combined just isn't going to cut it. In fact, they will be ranked #1 in the nation in scoring defense after this weekend and that kind of performance is just unacceptable. They gave up mind numbing 114 yards on the ground today, that has to be an all time record. This is the worst defense ever to take the field in Lincoln. Time to can Cos right?

Maybe you should rename this post to why you suck.

Yet, the D-line, which has been brightly lauded all year, let us down on several occasions, allowing a bigger game on the ground then we have let up all year.

You are right. This defense really sucks. What the f#ck is wrong with them? Bad coaching, bad players or both? Giving up 1 touchdown in the first 3 games combined and giving up 9 points in the last 2 games combined just isn't going to cut it. In fact, they will be ranked #1 in the nation in scoring defense after this weekend and that kind of performance is just unacceptable. They gave up mind numbing 114 yards on the ground today, that has to be an all time record. This is the worst defense ever to take the field in Lincoln. Time to can Cos right?

OUCH, Rat...easy!!!

You're right, this defense has been scrappy and is doing what it needs to do. I see both your points, and hope NU can continue its' defensive prowess while doing...well...anything on offense.

SUSTAIN

SUSTAIN

SUSTAIN dedhoarse

You are right. This defense really sucks.

No, no, no. Please do not get me wrong. I am happy with the defense as a whole. The unit is performing to a level I didn't think was possible as of last year. They're the only reason why we were alive today, but on the whole, the D-line wasn't performing to the level that they had the first two games. There were holes in or D-line that shouldn't have been there, and too many decent gains that should have ended in the backfield. And let's not forget that we are playing a team that hasn't been able to produce an offense against anyone, even <cough> Ohio. My worry isn't against teams like these, but rather teams who are capable of putting up huge numbers on the ground like Oklahoma, Missouri, or God forbid K-State. These are teams that could hurt us on the ground, and that is what I am worried about. Our seondary was stellar, and hopefully that will continue to our other games, but it is too early in the season to claim that our D is the best in the nation after playing opponents like we have. Once we have played these other teams, especially Iowa State in two weeks, call back and tell me what you think.

the problem with this offense is that we no playmakers.i just got

done watching the usc game.here are our stats and usc

leinart 18-24 381 4td 0 int taylor 10-20 93 0td 0int

bush 8car 125 ross 32car 161

white 10car 60

smith 4rec 129 ross 3rec 23

jarrett 4rec 79 hardy 2rec 15

bush 3rec 70 phillips 2rec 8

just look at the stats and you can see we have just one very good

back in ross but he had 32 carries to bush's 8 carries.people can

blame the playcalling but this offense has no playmakers.go back

and look at the fiesta bowl vs florida and we have playmakers on

offense,defense,special teams.usc right now is what we were from

93 to 97 (record 60-3) speed on offense,defense,special teams.

big time playmakers across the board.we had heisman contenders,

1st team all americans, big 8 ,outland lombardies winners.say all you

want about the playcalling,this team on offense has no 1st team big12,

heisman, all americans.college football is about having speed at your

playmaker postion and we have none.the tape dosn't lie

team speed on defense very good (not like florida st or miami)

team speed on special teams good to very good (not like florida st or miami)

team speed on offence average. bottom line speed kills in college and we

have none at our playmaker postion. black label society 2005 sdmf

the problem with this offense is that we no playmakers.i just got

done watching the usc game.

Just look at the stats and you can see we have just one very good

back in ross but he had 32 carries to bush's 8 carries.people can

blame the playcalling but this offense has no playmakers.go back

and look at the fiesta bowl vs florida and we have playmakers on

offense,defense,special teams.usc right now is what we were from

93 to 97 (record 60-3) speed on offense,defense,special teams.

big time playmakers across the board.we had heisman contenders,

1st team all americans, big 8 ,outland lombardies winners.say all you

want about the playcalling,this team on offense has no 1st team big12,

heisman, all americans.college football is about having speed at your

playmaker postion and we have none.the tape dosn't lie

team speed on defense very good (not like florida st or miami)

team speed on special teams good to very good (not like florida st or miami)

team speed on offence average. bottom line speed kills in college and we

have none at our playmaker postion.    black label society 2005 sdmf

Playmakers help, no doubt about it, but there need to be supported by both an offensive line that can make thier plays happen, and they need a good grasp of the offense they are playing. We very well might have the playmakers hidden in there somewhere, just nothing supporting them. Taylor made some impressive looks given what he was trying to work with, and Ross had impressive runs, when he was given the chance by the O-line. Secondly, it is a bit unfair to compare us to USC, one of only two good looking teams in the entire NCAA (When Texas and USC meet in the championship this year, it will be the first time we are privilaged to see two really good teams playing each other). USC has not only the playmakers to make plays happen, but more importantly, they have the suppport system that is neccissary to make their plays look almost easy. Nebraska, I don't think, will be up to that level of football for several years, if we're lucky, but we could be back in the top 25 and stay there with a little bit more support and understanding of the situation by Callahan, and a little more improvement on the part of the O-line. We could make something happen still in this stagnant Big 12 conference if only Callahan will allow it to happen.

Wharf Rat, you were doing fine up until that last line. Debate the post and don't attack the poster, please.

it will take more than Beck, alhtough he will eventually help, what we need is some athletes on the O line..........won't see that until next year or the year after.......

hunter

Yea, unfortunately building a solid O-line takes more than a year.

I am honestly surprised about our O-line play. How they held together last year when everyone said they wouldn't was awesome. I think we are really seeing how thin we are there considering that we lost one or two guys and play goes extremely down hill. :(