Iowa St. Gameplan

TheKiD

This is an easy one. Establish the run early, bait them into the box, and then run play action off of it. If we run the ball as well as we did against pitt, and the receivers actually accomplish something, we should be able to put some points up. P.S. Pitt ran a cover two man defense most of the game, and with no threat at tight end going up the middle of the field, that is an almost impossible coverage to go deep against.

Pitt ran a cover two man defense most of the game, and with no threat at tight end going up the middle of the field, that is an almost impossible coverage to go deep against.

I've been hearing a lot of talk lately about getting play makers and getting the big plays. You just found the HUGE reason why we're never going to be a big play team this year. We don't have a tight end. We were playing 2 TEs way too much against Pitt and they ate us up. Why? Because we hardly have the depth to play a single TE, much less 2. Regardless of Cover 2, the lack of any big-man threat in the middle of the field hurts us bad.

Pitt ran a cover two man defense most of the game, and with no threat at tight end going up the middle of the field, that is an almost impossible coverage to go deep against.

I've been hearing a lot of talk lately about getting play makers and getting the big plays. You just found the HUGE reason why we're never going to be a big play team this year. We don't have a tight end. We were playing 2 TEs way too much against Pitt and they ate us up. Why? Because we hardly have the depth to play a single TE, much less 2. Regardless of Cover 2, the lack of any big-man threat in the middle of the field hurts us bad.

Amen to that, brother.

What the hell happened to the swing pass to the backs? Does NU even play TE's? How about a jail break screen?

I am seeing very few ATTEMPTS at running the WCO from this team. I thought the whole scheme was creating mismatches and getting players in space 1 on 1. For having an offensive genius at the helm, it looked pretty basic on Saturday.

And I will say I sat in the student section for the first time in 9 years and I cannot believe the difference. It is sad how things are falling off.

What the hell happened to the swing pass to the backs? Does NU even play TE's? How about a jail break screen?

I am seeing very few ATTEMPTS at running the WCO from this team. I thought the whole scheme was creating mismatches and getting players in space 1 on 1. For having an offensive genius at the helm, it looked pretty basic on Saturday.

And I will say I sat in the student section for the first time in 9 years and I cannot believe the difference. It is sad how things are falling off.

Ya things are going to cool off with our fans for a while. We still have the greatest fans by far but, until we're back in winning form and in the BCS hunt... the enthusiasm will drop a bit, no way it can't. I don't think there should be any suprise there.

i agree TT, i really thought that somehow cally would get Lucky,Genn and Jackson into the short pass patterns, screens, dump passes, etc. , but that does not seem to be in his playbook......i just think that SOMEHOW, these guys could be utilized and maybe isolated for a few big plays every game....somehow..wouldn't you think??? :wtf

hunter

i agree TT, i really thought that somehow cally would get Lucky,Genn and Jackson into the short pass patterns, screens, dump passes, etc. , but that does not seem to be in his playbook......i just think that SOMEHOW, these guys could be utilized and maybe isolated for a few big plays every game....somehow..wouldn't you think??? :wtf

hunter

Thats how it was with Roger Craig and the 49ers.

6) No watching the offensive Broncos film of the Broncos vs. Chargers game that was played today. Seriously, are they copying NU, or is NU copying them???

To be fair, the Broncos scored 20 points on offense.

To be fair to Champ Bailey's INT for a TD, the Broncos' offense scored 13 pts, and only 1 offensive TD ;)

But the 41-yard field-goal try wasn't just another kick; for Elam, it was a shot at redemption for two earlier misses.

In that respect, the Broncos' longtime kicker was a microcosm of his whole team.

When he nudged the kick through to give Denver a 20-17 win over the San Diego Chargers, he not only rendered his two missed tries from 53 yards away irrelevant, he washed away any lingering memories of an afternoon that saw a series of prime opportunities slip away, particularly in the third quarter.

Penalties wiped out touchdowns by Jeb Putzier and Darrent Williams. A fumble at the San Diego 2-yard-line by Mike Anderson kept the Broncos from scoring on their first possession. A Bhawoh Jue interception at the Chargers 9-yard-line scuttled another Denver red-zone foray. Overall, the Broncos offense advanced to at least the San Diego 35-yard-line eight times and had just one touchdown and a pair of field goals to show for it.

You've gotta admit...lots of similarities between Denver and NU.

6) No watching the offensive Broncos film of the Broncos vs. Chargers game that was played today. Seriously, are they copying NU, or is NU copying them???

To be fair, the Broncos scored 20 points on offense.

To be fair to Champ Bailey's INT for a TD, the Broncos' offense scored 13 pts, and only 1 offensive TD ;)

But the 41-yard field-goal try wasn't just another kick; for Elam, it was a shot at redemption for two earlier misses.

In that respect, the Broncos' longtime kicker was a microcosm of his whole team.

When he nudged the kick through to give Denver a 20-17 win over the San Diego Chargers, he not only rendered his two missed tries from 53 yards away irrelevant, he washed away any lingering memories of an afternoon that saw a series of prime opportunities slip away, particularly in the third quarter.

Penalties wiped out touchdowns by Jeb Putzier and Darrent Williams. A fumble at the San Diego 2-yard-line by Mike Anderson kept the Broncos from scoring on their first possession. A Bhawoh Jue interception at the Chargers 9-yard-line scuttled another Denver red-zone foray. Overall, the Broncos offense advanced to at least the San Diego 35-yard-line eight times and had just one touchdown and a pair of field goals to show for it.

You've gotta admit...lots of similarities between Denver and NU.

I said that without acctualy watching the game yet. The similarities are pretty eerie when you acctualy watch it :)

Iowa State is currently T-57th in rushing defense and 8th in passing effeciency defense (44th in pass defense). Inexperienced quarterback.. not much synching in the passing game. Cory Ross buddy, sorry but 90% of the plays are going to you and probably Lucky, Jackson, and Glenn. If BC has Taylor try and pass on these guys.. I'm gonna go jump off a bridge.

NU is ahead of ISU in every single one of the catagories you have listed. ISU's offense hasn't been outstanding. So wouldn't you think they would be in trouble also? Their defense hasn't faced a good offense either. Iowa without Tate at QB = a bad offense.

i agree TT, i really thought that somehow cally would get Lucky,Genn and Jackson into the short pass patterns, screens, dump passes, etc. , but that does not seem to be in his playbook......i just think that SOMEHOW, these guys could be utilized and maybe isolated for a few big plays every game....somehow..wouldn't you think???  :wtf

hunter

Thats how it was with Roger Craig and the 49ers.

Tom Rathman, too. ;)

NU 14

ISU 10