Taylor Martinez bleeds Husker Red....

The guys a head case, he transfered twice in high school because he could'nt get along with teammates.

Proof?

He's an outrageous talent and you have "zero" proof he's a head case. Just because you can type insulting things about a player from your Mom's computer doesn't make it true.

To be fair, you have zero proof that he is NOT one.

The media has definitely questioned it, enough people that know the program have mentioned it (even before he started a single game) and a former player has come out and said it.

Just because Taylor has maturity issues doesn't mean he's not a nice kid in general, but he has a long ways to go to be a good teamate and leader.

:facepalm:

You can facepalm all you want, but the truth is you are making an assumption with little to no evidence, where as there's quite a bit of evidence pointing the other direction.

That's why I consider it mostly a moot point because Zac got injured :) It was a food for thought argument, thinking back to the start of the year before anyone was injured. We are talking about if Zac could have been a better choice to start the entire season, are we not?

Green did not give you part time play Knapp. Green was thrown into the fire and was the #2. He had to prepare for starting duties as he was next in line, and he took starting duties twice in the year. I think it was something that negatively impacted his development.

Taylor got experience under the media lights, the public eye, this year and that is valuable to an extent. He also got a lot of live action experience, but I think it's a little similar to being thrown into the fire. The issue is similar to Green needing a redshirt, because of how raw Taylor is and how new he is to the quarterbacking position. Being able to take it slow at first and sit and learn, instead of baptism by fire, also has its value. Taylor has issues to fix that go far beyond anything that could be addressed this year in a live bullets season, and I wonder if those aren't things he could have picked up a little better by watching and learning from the sidelines, while at the same time getting the 15-20 snaps a game that would give him live action experience regardless. Green would be #2 in this scenario.

Instead, now Taylor has a year where he was exposed to a ton of media and fan scrutiny and a lot of it has been bad. He hasn't had the proper time to develop in the areas where he needs to and a lot of fans have already made up their mind about him. Looking at all of this, I think the "Taylor Wildcat" plan would have been more beneficial from these standpoints. But you have a strong argument too. But it isn't a guarantee and I don't think it ever was that Taylor would start next year, or for the next three years. If he doesn't start next year, was it all for naught?

The bottom line argument I can see. But I do think again, that Zac could have given us 10-3 or more, because of things like not ever being a total liability in a game. And there's the useless fluffy argument that it's just wrong to cast aside your seniors like that when they can be at least as good. I'm not sure that's a strong argument, but I do see a "how the team is run/locker room/leadership" angle to this. I won't really argue on it any more though as I am pretty happy with Bo's decision to start Taylor, in the end. And Zac being made of glass makes the whole discussion specifically moot. The next time there is a comparable situation though, I would probably still be on the side of the steady senior, whoever that might be.

So you're saying that Zac would have led us to a better record than 10-3? You're presuming he outscores Washington, Oklahoma State, Iowa State and Idaho, all of whom scored at or near what we averaged last year, while also beating Texas and A&M (despite a 16-2 difference in penalties). You're also presuming that he stays uninjured all season, which he hasn't done for two years in a row. Those are a lot of presumptions, based on no evidence other than "I think he'd do better than last year." Sorry, much as I love and respect Zac, I will not buy the insinuation that he became the second coming of Joe Montana in the offseason. The guy has all the heart and brains you could want, but that body is still that body. It didn't magically improve since last year's Holiday Bowl.

I don't know what you mean about Green. Of course he gave us part time play - he started two games last year, two this year, and amassed about the same total stats that Taylor amassed in roughly two games, combined. Green earned very little experience last year and this year, and it clearly showed.

You decry Taylor's "being thrown in the fire" as if that was something that wouldn't have happened next year. If he was "thrown into the fire" against this mediocre schedule, what would you call it when he started next year with only mop-up duty under his belt this year? It would have been the same thing.

Further, you're acting as if that the media scrutiny, the fan scrutiny and the on-the-job learning he went through this year wouldn't have happened next year, but of course that's not true. That limelight next year will shine just as bright as it did this year, if not brighter, because it'll be our first year in the Big 10. He won't have the luxury of going up against cupcakes like Kansas, Colorado and Kansas State next year - he'll be facing the worst gauntlet any NU QB has faced since 1995 - and you're advocating that we make that his first year as a starter? That's a recipe for disaster, pure and simple.

I don't get this argument of being "thrown into the fire." What do you think Nebraska football is? This is the big-time, with crazed fans and a huge media spotlight. That's not going to change this year or next year, which is why getting Taylor's feet wet this year was the right answer.

Bottom line is, Taylor was the better QB at the start of the season. He won the job, period. If he stays healthy and retains that speed throughout the season we don't lose to A&M, we don't lose to Oklahoma, and we likely beat Iowa State by a far more comfortable margin. There isn't a single game a healthy Zac Lee could have won for us that a healthy Taylor Martinez couldn't have won for us.

Your argument seems to boil down to that useless fluffy argument that it's just wrong to cast aside your Senior like that. The sad truth is, it is just a useless, fluffy argument. The best players play. And that's the way it should be.

• Fire 1

It's garbage to say Taylor is a problem kid based on transferring in high school. There is really very little based on anything we have seen, that could enable one to make any sort of statement like that about the kind of person Taylor is.

This is something that players on the team know and most of us don't. We aren't Taylor's teammates and we don't hear about Taylor from them for the most part, or have any true read/familiarity on the situation. I'm speaking about 99% of us here.

On the other hand, whispers we have heard from within the team have not been all good either. Realistically, it is hard to dismiss, as we have been warned about this for a long time. That rumor email was garbage, but Dillard's comments on Facebook are not. And if you are ignoring those, you are really trying to ignore/dismiss it as a possibility, which actually I think is very fair until there is more smoke.

I do take a lot of stock in what I hear and read about this, but I can also see it as valid criticism that I give so much credence to mysterious sources I don't know at all, and I can't really be too hard on those who don't bother with this stuff.

I don't know what you mean about Green. Of course he gave us part time play - he started two games last year, two this year, and amassed about the same total stats that Taylor amassed in roughly two games, combined. Green earned very little experience last year and this year, and it clearly showed.

You decry Taylor's "being thrown in the fire" as if that was something that wouldn't have happened next year. If he was "thrown into the fire" against this mediocre schedule, what would you call it when he started next year with only mop-up duty under his belt this year? It would have been the same thing.

Knapp, Taylor being a utility role player is different from Green being the 2nd string quarterback that had to start. Nothing to do with in-game reps they see. Appreciably different scenarios. Backup and garbage time while preparing to be a starter, along with a full start and another where he got the hook and sat the rest of the year: vs a pressure-less role as a substitution Wildcat back that would see 10-25 snaps each game, depending on the situation.

I don't really decry Taylor being thrown into the fire as I state at the end I'm pretty happy with this year. And obviously the limelight next year would be just as strong. I am just wondering if this year was the year for Taylor to be thrust into that, or if everyone wouldn't be better off if a more seasoned and mature and older Taylor took that step. He would be not be inexperienced if he takes over ten snaps a game throughout the year, he would be farther along as a QB in his first start thanks to the offseason of work and the watch-and-learn during the season, and given the roster situation he would be in a position then where, as jliehr put it, "he's actually ready to be a leader of the team".

Again this is all moot. I'm happy with this year, happy with Taylor, hope for the best for him in the future.

Taylor was no better as a quarterback on Saturday as he was at the beginning of the year, if anything, playing him hurt had a negative effect on his "experience". Allowing him to play when he pulled the stunt that he did sent a clear message to the team that there is a set of rules for Taylor that is different than the rest of the squad. Trial by fire is NOT always the best way to gain experience, it would have been better for Taylor if he could have had his specific packages and spent the year developing his skills and studying film, as well as maturing to where he's actually ready to be a leader of the team. Go back and watch the tape from the other night, watch how the rest of the offense interacts with Taylor, watch Mike McNeill rip into Taylor and Taylor basically not care.

If we gave Zac Lee the reigns in August we would have seen a very similar offense to our 2008 squad, Taylor could have ran the wildcat and got a series or two a game and we would have done great, and IMO would have had a better chance at winning the CCG. Literally in the 4th quarter OU was defending the equivalent of a high school offense as non-dimensional as it was. Martinez looked like what he was, a kid in only his 3rd year at QB that was gimpy and unprepared to face OU.

But to me, the most frustrating thing is the way that Bo handled the QB situation with Lee and Green makes me nervous for next year. The way Cody was treated I wouldn't blame him one bit for transferring, then we're stuck with an undersized redshirt freshman, a kid who doesn't fit the system coming off 2 ACL tears, a walk on that doesn't fit the system and then two freshmen, one that probably won't ever step on campus. I hope that Cody stays and that the coaching staff shows that they want him here, because despite some struggles, it's a steep drop off behind him and Martinez won't stay healthy all year most likely.

You're presuming that another player has pulled similar stunts and been benched. I have yet to see evidence of that. I have seen evidence (Suh, Niles Paul) that star players are able to pull stunts and still play. I have not seen evidence that either Suh or Paul were given a tongue-lashing like Martinez got - I would believe it happened, but we have no evidence of it. So the argument that allowing Taylor to play after "pulling a stunt" is detrimental to him is unsupported.

There is also no evidence to support the contention that 2010 Zac Lee would have equalled 2009 Zac Lee, let alone 2008 Joe Ganz. To assert that we benched a capable Lee in favor a Freshman with crazy speed is to presume that Bo cast aside all logic and threw the dice like a riverboat gambler, letting a season with a reasonably weak schedule slip away simply because he was enamored of Taylor Martinez' speed. If you truly believe that, you should have ZERO confidence in Bo Pelini going forward, because that would truly be a foolish decision to make. Rather, it seems far more likely that the conservative Bo Pelini we got to know over the past two years didn't vanish like a fart in the wind to be replaced by this reckless gambler, and instead Bo knew that Lee was not healthy enough to lead this team for a season, nor was Green capable mentally. With those presumptions (based on the character Bo has displayed throughout his Nebraska career), we can safely assume that Taylor was the only clear choice for Bo this year.

Bo isn't stupid, and he didn't just cast this season away gambling on a Freshman for no reason. He knew the relative weakness of this schedule, he knew the abilities of his quarterbacks, and he made a prudent decision. After watching a healthy Taylor Martinez torch defenses for six out our first eight games, I'd say that was a pretty good decision.

This fear for next year based on "the way Cody was treated" makes no sense. Cody was clearly not capable of running this team this year. How does the way he was played in games show any kind of mistreatment? Where were Cody's moments of brilliance which showed he was unfairly being held back? This baffles me.

The guys a head case, he transfered twice in high school because he could'nt get along with teammates.

Proof?

He's an outrageous talent and you have "zero" proof he's a head case. Just because you can type insulting things about a player from your Mom's computer doesn't make it true.

The media has definitely questioned it, enough people that know the program have mentioned it (even before he started a single game) and a former player has come out and said it.

Just because Taylor has maturity issues doesn't mean he's not a nice kid in general, but he has a long ways to go to be a good teamate and leader.

You can facepalm all you want, but the truth is you are making an assumption with little to no evidence, where as there's quite a bit of evidence pointing the other direction.

You used religion's argument against science, like "Well, you can't prove that God DOESN'T exist, so obviously you're not right!" That deserved a :facepalm:

The fact that you're still bashing a kid that played hurt, and that you're doing it based on the same internet message board crap that said he quit the team, also deserved a :facepalm:

I don't call that crap, "evidence." I call that crap, "crap."

Bo isn't stupid, and he didn't just cast this season away gambling on a Freshman for no reason. He knew the relative weakness of this schedule, he knew the abilities of his quarterbacks, and he made a prudent decision. After watching a healthy Taylor Martinez torch defenses for six out our first eight games, I'd say that was a pretty good decision.

Bo is absolutely not stupid, but every decision is one that can pay off, or not. Every decision is a gamble. This is no different. I would say it's a gamble that has largely paid off though. I can't really argue the decision but for a few fluffy considerations, as we agreed on before. The rest are hypotheticals. But it's food for thought.

Regarding the warning signs thrown up about Taylor, I said this earlier:

I do take a lot of stock in what I hear and read about this, but I can also see it as valid criticism that I give so much credence to mysterious sources I don't know at all, and I can't really be too hard on those who don't bother with this stuff.

And want to stress that it is still how I feel, but I do feel there is a certain presumption that every coach on the staff is sagely wise and every player on the team is a complete good kid with no faults and there's no drama of any kind surrounding this situation. I agree there is not a lot of evidence sufficient for a reasonable person to believe that stuff (while acknowledging at the same time I put a lot of stock into it), but I also think it is maybe a little naive to completely believe in sunshine and rainbows when there are rumblings. But you would be absolutely right that talking about them is no help. Hard to avoid mentioning it sometimes though. And I feel that people are pretty selective about this kind of stuff, believing when they want to and dismissing when they feel like it. If we hear that Paul is an ego-consumed cocky SOB that can't leave soon enough (one person's actual opinion, not mine), I'm sure people would readily take stock in that instead of leaping to his defense. Same thing with the stuff we did hear about guys like Keller, or McKeon. Taylor has earned a lot of people's respect through his play, and I respect him as a player, but again, it's hard to dismiss some stuff.

Knapp, Taylor being a utility role player is different from Green being the 2nd string quarterback that had to start. Nothing to do with in-game reps they see. Appreciably different scenarios. Backup and garbage time while preparing to be a starter, along with a full start and another where he got the hook and sat the rest of the year: vs a pressure-less role as a substitution Wildcat back that would see 10-25 snaps each game, depending on the situation.

I don't really decry Taylor being thrown into the fire as I state at the end I'm pretty happy with this year. And obviously the limelight next year would be just as strong. I am just wondering if this year was the year for Taylor to be thrust into that, or if everyone wouldn't be better off if a more seasoned and mature and older Taylor took that step. He would be not be inexperienced if he takes over ten snaps a game throughout the year, he would be farther along as a QB in his first start thanks to the offseason of work and the watch-and-learn during the season, and given the roster situation he would be in a position then where, as jliehr put it, "he's actually ready to be a leader of the team".

Again this is all moot. I'm happy with this year, happy with Taylor, hope for the best for him in the future.

Of course this was the year for Taylor to get his feet wet. You know what we face next year. It would have been completely foolish to put him in next year with gimmick and mop-up duty under his belt this year.

But again, that's presuming that he wasn't clearly the best choice to make as our starter, and that's demonstrably wrong. Zac simply isn't nearly as talented as Taylor. I can't believe you could watch a season of each guy starting and consider that he is. Zac's forte is passing, and he's a career 56% passer with a career 97.84 QB rating, and remember that he had starting experience at City College before coming to Nebraska. Taylor steps in having not started a game since High School and puts up a season with a 57% completion percentage and a 138.64 QB rating, and that's in the weakest part of his game. Zac's YPA average is 5.1; Taylor's is 8.44. On top of that he rushed for 942 yards and 12 TDs.

There is no argument between Taylor being used in utility roles and Green being #2, because Taylor clearly could never have been the #2 - unless we decided not to start the best player, which would have been an even bigger mistake. Taylor was the best QB coming out of camp, he was the best QB in the Spring Game, and he was the best QB to put out there all season long, injuries aside.

Proof?

youre doing the same thing...thus the :facepalm:

Bo is absolutely not stupid, but every decision is one that can pay off, or not. Every decision is a gamble. This is no different. I would say it's a gamble that has largely paid off though. I can't really argue the decision but for a few fluffy considerations, as we agreed on before. The rest are hypotheticals. But it's food for thought.

I said this earlier:

And want to stress that it is still how I feel, but I do feel there is a certain presumption that every coach on the staff is sagely wise and every player on the team is a complete good kid with no faults and there's no drama of any kind surrounding this situation. I agree there is not a lot of evidence sufficient for a reasonable person to believe that stuff (while acknowledging at the same time I put a lot of stock into it), but I also think it is maybe a little naive to completely believe in sunshine and rainbows when there are rumblings. But you would be absolutely right that talking about them is no help. Hard to avoid mentioning it sometimes though.

Every decision can either succeed or fail, we agree on that. We also agree that Bo is not stupid. We probably also agree that Bo took a sober look at each of his three realistic QBs, and made a decision on which one was the best fit for this season, and the most likely guy to win games. Taylor was CLEARLY that guy, no questions asked, and the stats I posted above bear that out.

Proof?

You used religion's argument against science, like "Well, you can't prove that God DOESN'T exist, so obviously you're not right!" That deserved a :facepalm:

The fact that you're still bashing a kid that played hurt, and that you're doing it based on the same internet message board crap that said he quit the team, also deserved a :facepalm:

Like everyone who bashes Cody Green when he's a team player, and goes about things the right way? You said he had zero evidence, I pointed out that you had the same amount. If you want to infer something beyond that, have fun.

I'm not basing my views on Taylor based on "crap that said he quit the team", ex players have called Taylor out, teamates have called Taylor out during games (McNeill during the CCG), his head coach went bananas on him on the sideline. I'm not sure what else you need, but I think that is more than zero evidence.

Proof?

Like everyone who bashes Cody Green when he's a team player, and goes about things the right way? You said he had zero evidence, I pointed out that you had the same amount. If you want to infer something beyond that, have fun.

I'm not basing my views on Taylor based on "crap that said he quit the team", ex players have called Taylor out, teamates have called Taylor out during games (McNeill during the CCG), his head coach went bananas on him on the sideline. I'm not sure what else you need, but I think that is more than zero evidence.

People bash Cody Green because he fumbles the ball. If you want to bash Taylor because he fumbles the ball, fine. But you're bashing Taylor because you just don't like him. You're playing "Mean Girls," on an internet message board behind a screen name that makes you anonymous, and I don't respect that. So, :facepalm:

you dont think that may have been slightly situational? we were getting homered by the refs and losing to a team we shouldve beat, with a lot on the line.

bottom line: you need to support our quarterback. we cant call ourselves the best fans in college football if we keep turning on players and coaches like we have been. appreciate what taylor did for us during the regular season, and do not condemn him after one game.

Taylor was no better as a quarterback on Saturday as he was at the beginning of the year, if anything, playing him hurt had a negative effect on his "experience". Allowing him to play when he pulled the stunt that he did sent a clear message to the team that there is a set of rules for Taylor that is different than the rest of the squad. Trial by fire is NOT always the best way to gain experience, it would have been better for Taylor if he could have had his specific packages and spent the year developing his skills and studying film, as well as maturing to where he's actually ready to be a leader of the team. Go back and watch the tape from the other night, watch how the rest of the offense interacts with Taylor, watch Mike McNeill rip into Taylor and Taylor basically not care.

If we gave Zac Lee the reigns in August we would have seen a very similar offense to our 2008 squad, Taylor could have ran the wildcat and got a series or two a game and we would have done great, and IMO would have had a better chance at winning the CCG. Literally in the 4th quarter OU was defending the equivalent of a high school offense as non-dimensional as it was. Martinez looked like what he was, a kid in only his 3rd year at QB that was gimpy and unprepared to face OU.

But to me, the most frustrating thing is the way that Bo handled the QB situation with Lee and Green makes me nervous for next year. The way Cody was treated I wouldn't blame him one bit for transferring, then we're stuck with an undersized redshirt freshman, a kid who doesn't fit the system coming off 2 ACL tears, a walk on that doesn't fit the system and then two freshmen, one that probably won't ever step on campus. I hope that Cody stays and that the coaching staff shows that they want him here, because despite some struggles, it's a steep drop off behind him and Martinez won't stay healthy all year most likely.

You're presuming that another player has pulled similar stunts and been benched. I have yet to see evidence of that. I have seen evidence (Suh, Niles Paul) that star players are able to pull stunts and still play. I have not seen evidence that either Suh or Paul were given a tongue-lashing like Martinez got - I would believe it happened, but we have no evidence of it. So the argument that allowing Taylor to play after "pulling a stunt" is detrimental to him is unsupported.

There is also no evidence to support the contention that 2010 Zac Lee would have equalled 2009 Zac Lee, let alone 2008 Joe Ganz. To assert that we benched a capable Lee in favor a Freshman with crazy speed is to presume that Bo cast aside all logic and threw the dice like a riverboat gambler, letting a season with a reasonably weak schedule slip away simply because he was enamored of Taylor Martinez' speed. If you truly believe that, you should have ZERO confidence in Bo Pelini going forward, because that would truly be a foolish decision to make. Rather, it seems far more likely that the conservative Bo Pelini we got to know over the past two years didn't vanish like a fart in the wind to be replaced by this reckless gambler, and instead Bo knew that Lee was not healthy enough to lead this team for a season, nor was Green capable mentally. With those presumptions (based on the character Bo has displayed throughout his Nebraska career), we can safely assume that Taylor was the only clear choice for Bo this year.

This fear for next year based on "the way Cody was treated" makes no sense. Cody was clearly not capable of running this team this year. How does the way he was played in games show any kind of mistreatment? Where were Cody's moments of brilliance which showed he was unfairly being held back? This baffles me.

Plenty of players have been ripped into on the sidelines and benched (maybe for just a couple of plays), Dillard was in the doghouse, others have been too. Terrence Moore got his facemasked grabbed during the OU game in 08 and benched, IIRC Suh got an earful in the VT game in 08, Cotton got ripped a new one in the TAMU game and told to take a seat (was brought back in).

We were exactly 1 game better this year than last year (and that is because we had Washington instead of VT on the schedule) with a worse defense than the previous year. I don't see that Taylor made a huge difference in the Win column, and I've already posted many other times that Watson and the staff should be given credit for what the offense DID accomplish this year. Obviously I can't go back and have us replay the season with Zac or Cody to prove what they would have done, but I doubt the record would be much different.

You are presuming a lot into my statements that weren't there, obviously Bo made his choice and it worked out okay. I personally think it would have been the same, if not better had he made a different choice, but I can't prove that, obviously. But my logic is that we have 2 QB's that could run a more 2008 like offense if the other went down in Zac and Cody (or even Kellogg), where we didn't have a backup to Taylor that could step in the same. We saw what happened without a healthy Taylor, it wasn't pretty.

Cody, by many accounts beat out Taylor in practice in Watson's grading system. Did it in Spring, did it this fall. Bo decided that Martinez was more of a weapon because of his feet, and rolled that way. Cody was a team player, and did what was best for the team. Cody was put into tough situations, and struggled early in the year, he kept fighting. Cody got another chance in the Iowa State game, took a serious hit and got a concussion. Rather than tell the public what happened, he played it down and did what was best for the team. Cody got called on again for the CU game, he got a weeks prep and played a pretty good game. The next week, they decide that Taylor is healthy and despite Bo preaching open competition, Cody never gets reps with the 1's and Taylor is left out there during the CCG taking 7 sacks, putting the ball on the turf 3 times and throws a costly INT. If you're the second string QB, that tells you they have no confidence in you or no respect for you.

So my concern is, that Cody will say screw it and transfer, leaving us next year without a backup QB on the roster that has ever taken a live snap when Taylor is one play away from getting hurt (as is any QB).

• Fire 1

He's an outrageous talent and you have "zero" proof he's a head case

To be fair, you have zero proof that he is NOT one/

The burden of proof lies with the accuser, not the accused. Does this really need explaining?

After the quitting rumors turned out to be a big fat nothing burger it's borderline insulting that people are still questioning Taylor's loyalty or willingness to put it all out on the field. He spent 5 hours a day in tedious rehab trying to get ready for the OU game and help us win. He didn't get much help from the play calling or the line picking up blitzes. In a nutshell that's why we lost.