The "Classiest Fans in College Football"

Ok what I am going to say is not a personal attack on anyone here. If you get butt hurt I am sorry :lol: I was born and raised in Nebraska and attended school in Lincoln (UNL) during the days of the 90's. You know, the days when we destroyed teams by an avg of 35 pts a game. Yeah, those hay days. Now back to my current topic. I for one am tired of hearing about Husker fans being the "Classiest Fans in College Football". Are we that now? Hmmm don't really think so. Was I ever that type of fan? Nope.

We are fans who LOVE their University but feel compelled to complain and call out BS when we smell or see it. Coaches, players, refs, league commisioners, the list goes on and on. Is this wrong? I don't think so. The term "classiest fans" was coined during the years when we would literally beat the sh#t out of other teams. We would clap for other teams in our stadium because after putting 60 pts on a team, it made us feel warm and fuzzy inside. Their players and fans felt that we were "sure nice because they clapped for us, after beating us". Now....Husker fans (me included) turn into rabbid fans who grow horns and snarl when our team loses. We don't go into other stadiums and clap and say "hey great game, you really kicked our ass, but gosh, we sure tried hard". No, we leave mad and looking for revenge (me included again). Do our fans show respect where respect is due? I think we do, but to keep labeling us the "Classiest Fans in College Football" to me is some what tiresome.

Anyways, just my two cents. I'm interested in see what other Husker fans feel about this. :thumbs

ps Sorry for any gramatical or spelling erros, trying to send this out before the boss sees it. :rollin

I was at the Cotton bowl when we played y'all a couple years back and I had no bad experience with any of your fans. All top notch IMO.

We all have our idiots.

That's exactly what I mean. We all have idiots in our fan base but we show respect where respect is due. I just get tired of our self proclaimed "Classiest Fans in College Football" label.

I was at the Cotton bowl when we played y'all a couple years back and I had no bad experience with any of your fans. All top notch IMO.

We all have our idiots.

That's exactly what I mean. We all have idiots in our fan base but we show respect where respect is due. I just get tired of our self proclaimed "Classiest Fans in College Football" label.

first we didn't proclaim it, other schools did. second, if by defending your school you aren't classy then eff it.

• Fire 1

We all have our idiots.

first we didn't proclaim it, other schools did. second, if by defending your school you aren't classy then eff it.

No we procllaimed it. Hell, it even says it on the wall when you enter the stadium. :)

I have a feeling that part of the Classiest fans thing just comes from midwest hospitality. We have the same type of mentality in iowa. Kinda help a neighbor out kind of attitude that you dont find alot of other places in the country. I have also heard people talk about how knowledgeable we as fans are about not only our team but the teams we play. It also comes with how massive our fanbase travels to away games and bowl games. But not everyone is going to fall into that catagory.

I'm not saying it's not self proclaimed to a certain extent, I for one have never claimed that...alot of it stems from other teams and their fans, I've heard several interviews from opposing coaches/fans/media saying the same thing and perpetuating it..

and yet...when we complain about the Big 12, certian coaches or players.....it constantly gets thrown back in our faces about "that's now the Classiest Fans in College Football should act".

I have a feeling that part of the Classiest fans thing just comes from midwest hospitality. We have the same type of mentality in iowa. Kinda help a neighbor out kind of attitude that you dont find alot of other places in the country. I have also heard people talk about how knowledgeable we as fans are about not only our team but the teams we play. It also comes with how massive our fanbase travels to away games and bowl games. But not everyone is going to fall into that catagory.

Yeah I can see your point. Hell you have it in your picture behind you. :thumbs

It only says "greatest" not classiest in that photo...big difference in my book. And yes, I believe this moniker has been perpetuated by the media moreso than Husker fans in general. Just my .02.

It only says "greatest" not classiest in that photo...big difference in my book. And yes, I believe this moniker has been perpetuated by the media moreso than Husker fans in general. Just my .02.

I know...it was a joke. ;)

I would say I fall in the "fanatic" category and never tried to be an ambassador for the "classiest fan" club. I actually think Mike Leach had it right when he said the Nebraska fans clapping for the other team after a loss is kind of condescending.

If we are wronged we are knowledgeable enough to know it is happening and are going to be vocal enough to express our displeasure. If that means revoking the "classiest fan" moniker so be it.

Ok what I am going to say is not a personal attack on anyone here. If you get butt hurt I am sorry :lol: I was born and raised in Nebraska and attended school in Lincoln (UNL) during the days of the 90's. You know, the days when we destroyed teams by an avg of 35 pts a game. Yeah, those hay days. Now back to my current topic. I for one am tired of hearing about Husker fans being the "Classiest Fans in College Football". Are we that now? Hmmm don't really think so. Was I ever that type of fan? Nope.

We are fans who LOVE their University but feel compelled to complain and call out BS when we smell or see it. Coaches, players, refs, league commisioners, the list goes on and on. Is this wrong? I don't think so. The term "classiest fans" was coined during the years when we would literally beat the sh#t out of other teams. We would clap for other teams in our stadium because after putting 60 pts on a team, it made us feel warm and fuzzy inside. Their players and fans felt that we were "sure nice because they clapped for us, after beating us". Now....Husker fans (me included) turn into rabbid fans who grow horns and snarl when our team loses. We don't go into other stadiums and clap and say "hey great game, you really kicked our ass, but gosh, we sure tried hard". No, we leave mad and looking for revenge (me included again). Do our fans show respect where respect is due? I think we do, but to keep labeling us the "Classiest Fans in College Football" to me is some what tiresome.

Anyways, just my two cents. I'm interested in see what other Husker fans feel about this. :thumbs

ps Sorry for any gramatical or spelling erros, trying to send this out before the boss sees it. :rollin

In my opinion (from a Southern California native; aka "outsider"), the 'classiest' label has morphed from just the fans in the stadium to Nebraska's worldwide following. Here is an example... a couple of years ago I was standing in line at a Starbucks in Huntington Beach, CA, and an Oklahoma fan came in... we were both dressed in our gear and soon the OU fan and I were having a great discussion... much respect on both sides, "You guys look great this year", "So do you", "Go Big Red", "Boomer Sooner"... it was great and ended on a peaceful and respectful note. 'Classiest fans in college football'. Later during that same visit, a guy walks in wearing USC gear... mouthing off "Trojans all the way baby!" and eventually gets around to my new OU friend who is still standing in line. After a few stupid taunts he comes right out (in public) with "Oh, and f*ck you Oklahoma... we got your asses back in 05!" :facepalm:

With that perspective in mind, we ARE the classiest fans in college football. :)