Who Decides?

This situation should be Deja Vu for everyone. Not only us, but those in the program. Pelini was brought to Solich's staff replace a horribly ineffective coordinator and turned things around. This coordinator, whom I agree was probably kept with influence from T.O. and company.

It's time to let Pelini run his program and go find someone that can build an offense. One that score a touchdown against a reasonable defense.

Solich never wanted Bohl as DC in the first place, he had Gary Gibbs lined-up but TO and McBride talked him into staying in-house. TO always pushed for Solich to keep everybody.

Good story. Should make you wonder if our current staff is also reflective of this, given Tom Osborne's input into it.

Its worrisome if you delve too deep into it. Whether or not the Bo talking to Miami carries any weight-there are staff that were clearly not Bo's choices. Tom Osborne is a blessing to the state, university, and football program. However, ive watched a man walk away from a great little business because his boss could not help himself from inserting his will over every big decision when he spends half the year away. The very same will that grew the business from not much to brag about into a business that supports many. People are people, not matter their title or prestige.

Does this have anything to do with Bo and Tom? Not really. But it makes me wonder.

I agree with you 100%. Tom wanted Watson left behind from the old staff to help stabilize the transition when Bo and the new coaching staff moved in. Since Watson was hand picked to stay by Osborne, it kind of makes you wonder if Bo has the authority to get rid of him and find someone else.

I know people will look at what's been said here, and focus on Watson, who is known for being Tom's recommendation. Though I think (just a guess, no rumor or anything) that Bo likes Watson and would stick by him.

I think if you look at the staff and how it was put together originally, there are some interesting hires. Some are of the "Wow, Bo is showing a ton of faith in these Graduate Assistants he knows from LSU to make the leap" variety - and some are of the "We're getting the old gang back together" variety. When it is an excellent coach like Marvin Sanders who can find work anywhere in the nation, you can't argue it. When it's Barney Cotton, it's like, there has got to be a million and a half top notch OL coaches, or promising young guys moving up the ranks, that Nebraska could have secured....so Bo liked Barney's work in 2003 that much, huh? Not sure that's what to get out of reading the lines there. Why there weren't more hires of the Tim Beck variety, I don't know.

I know people will look at what's been said here, and focus on Watson, who is known for being Tom's recommendation. Though I think (just a guess, no rumor or anything) that Bo likes Watson and would stick by him.

I think if you look at the staff and how it was put together originally, there are some interesting hires. Some are of the "Wow, Bo is showing a ton of faith in these Graduate Assistants he knows from LSU to make the leap" variety - and some are of the "We're getting the old gang back together" variety. When it is an excellent coach like Marvin Sanders who can find work anywhere in the nation, you can't argue it. When it's Barney Cotton, it's like, there has got to be a million and a half top notch OL coaches, or promising young guys moving up the ranks, that Nebraska could have secured....so Bo liked Barney's work in 2003 that much, huh? Not sure that's what to get out of reading the lines there. Why there weren't more hires of the Tim Beck variety, I don't know.

It kind of makes ya wonder if "keeping it in the family" went a little over board with the Cotton hire. That's great and all about Bo being loyal but we seen what happened when our previous coach was loyal to a particular defensive coordinator. Just sayin......

“Compromise is but the sacrifice of one right or good in the hope of retaining another--too often ending in the loss of both.” -Tryon Edwards.

I dont know what that means exactly. Its too early. I googled 'compromise quotes.' Though that google came from me feeling like compromise was the word of the day on our staff top to bottom. This one seemed to fit.

Since Tom has been back this program has been taking the right steps for success. I trust in that. But I also trust in my gut feeling that things are just not right in Camelot. Someone at the table is unhappy. Hell, I hope they all are. Its just a matter of what is going to come from it. More compromise?

Maybe therein the 'problem' lies. Ultimately everyone attributes it to Tom. Even when the whole Bo sh#tstorm when down, the masses jumped on Harvey for his comments and subsequently drug up the past of callahan to bolster their arguments. Tom is on an untouchable plane. My train of thought is running fast here, so I apologize if this is all disjointed, but how Watson seems to get the blame for the offensive woes isnt much different than Tom receiving the credit for turning the program around and saving the day. I dont believe either one deserves all of each case, but I do feel they are tied together.

Ok...so...if Bo IS looking for greener pastures (see Miami), then it's only because TO is exerting too much influence on the make up of the staff. I, for one, don't buy it though. Sure...Tom suggested to Bo that he keep Wats and Gilmore to facilitate some continuity in the program. At the time the preception was that the offense "isn't broke"...so don't fix it. But I whole heartedly believe that if Bo wants to fire any of his staff TO will support his decision. Assuming its a well though out and planned decision and not just knee jerk reaction.

Ok...so...if Bo IS looking for greener pastures (see Miami), then it's only because TO is exerting too much influence on the make up of the staff. I, for one, don't buy it though. Sure...Tom suggested to Bo that he keep Wats and Gilmore to facilitate some continuity in the program. At the time the preception was that the offense "isn't broke"...so don't fix it. But I whole heartedly believe that if Bo wants to fire any of his staff TO will support his decision. Assuming its a well though out and planned decision and not just knee jerk reaction.

This is what I am trying to get at with the above. When this was brought up, people were always going to focus in on Watson and Gilmore, who are the holdovers and Watson at least is frequently stated as Tom's recommendation. But there's typically going to be a holdover or two with these coaching changes, almost by design as you suggest. It is the rest of the staff assembly that is more interesting to look at. To be clear by the way, I'm not making any suggestion that Bo is even looking for greener pastures or if that could be a reason - hope nobody gets me wrong here.

When you look at Barney, is there any way he really has any amount of renown or national respect as an offensive lines coach? especially in our schemes? He could not have been the best coach for the job, and I think it's dubious to assume that Bo remembered the connection from one year, compared to the OL coaches he has probably encountered and built longer relationships with since he left in 2003. So why did we end up with Barney? We either just could not get anyone better here - with that OL class?! - or we chose to place a higher priority on things other than "quality as a coach."

Anybody remember hearing that Grobe, was it, who took himself out of the running because he wasn't going to be allowed to hire all his own assistants? I don't know if that was ever reported on or just another one of the wild rumors back then, but it does sort of make you wonder about the strength of the "recommendations."

This is what I am trying to get at with the above. When this was brought up, people were always going to focus in on Watson and Gilmore, who are the holdovers and Watson at least is frequently stated as Tom's recommendation. But there's typically going to be a holdover or two with these coaching changes, almost by design as you suggest. It is the rest of the staff assembly that is more interesting to look at. To be clear by the way, I'm not making any suggestion that Bo is even looking for greener pastures or if that could be a reason - hope nobody gets me wrong here.

When you look at Barney, is there any way he really has any amount of renown or national respect as an offensive lines coach? especially in our schemes? He could not have been the best coach for the job, and I think it's dubious to assume that Bo remembered the connection from one year, compared to the OL coaches he has probably encountered and built longer relationships with since he left in 2003. So why did we end up with Barney? We either just could not get anyone better here - with that OL class?! - or we chose to place a higher priority on things other than "quality as a coach."

Anybody remember hearing that Grobe, was it, who took himself out of the running because he wasn't going to be allowed to hire all his own assistants? I don't know if that was ever reported on or just another one of the wild rumors back then, but it does sort of make you wonder about the strength of the "recommendations."

Welllll.....

If I'm a newly hired head coach...AND...it's my first head coaching gig....AND...a coaching LEGEND is "recommending" certain assistants...I think I might take a moment or 2 to consider the recommendations. First of all, I'm one of those guys that thinks Cotton gets a bad rap on the internets. That said, BC and RB were brought it to help restore the Husker tradition and family tree the HCBC and Pedey so successfully dismantled. Bo was here long enuff to understand the importance of these things and so I think he saw those as good hires for that reason.

I don't think any newly hired head coach would look at himself as someone that needs his hand held or can't make staffing decisions. But, I do agree that I'd take a recommendation about a quality coach seriously especially given the source is someone you'd put a lot of faith in to identify quality coaches.

I am also saying, though, that if the criteria is "restoring Husker tradition", which Bo is really barely even a part of from one year in 2003 that he left bitterly from, then those recommendations would be in a different light.

When I saw this subject line, I thought it was referring to personnel changes on the field during a game. I'm interested to see which coach makes the decision to pull a QB when he's not playing well (eg. Martinez vs OU). Reports make it sound like that decision rested on Watson's shoulders, but I wonder if Bo had the final say in that matter.

Seriously, how does this work? Is it the position coach who is responsible for pulling players, or the head coach?

When I saw this subject line, I thought it was referring to personnel changes on the field during a game. I'm interested to see which coach makes the decision to pull a QB when he's not playing well (eg. Martinez vs OU). Reports make it sound like that decision rested on Watson's shoulders, but I wonder if Bo had the final say in that matter.

Seriously, how does this work? Is it the position coach who is responsible for pulling players, or the head coach?

It is a good question, I don't know the answers especially for various positions, but for QB it does seem to be Bo's call, and has been all year. Including on the field during a game. Specifically this last one.

I am not sure about Green not being prepared during the week although I heard that floated around once or twice, but more consistently it seems Bo insisted on keeping Taylor out there. Should not be much of as surprise as any QB change must go and should through Bo. The question that makes it interesting is if Bo and Watson clashed over a decision like that.