Solich wants OC Job????

Ok you have Solich that if it wasent for him we prolly wouldnt have Bo as our head coach, an Bo wouldnt have had his past jobs (you know the jobs) he wouldnt be on anyones radar... Solich gave him a shot and our school with TO gave him the shot to be a head coach when no one else would.. That has to mean something to him and with Solichs ties to TO and the fact BO could have a chance to return the favor, how can that go wrong??? Bring back the option we all want to see, bring back a offense that can an will win titles... Look down the long road here, BO isnt a NEB boy and like some have said he prolly wont be here in 10yrs if even that... If its true we have Frank no matter what to fall back on if he is on our team an that makes me feel alot better.. We need to accept times have changed an the days of loyalty are gone....

I in no way shape or form want to see the option offense. It won't work anymore, defenses are too fast. And don't tell me about Georgia Tech, they lost to Kansas.

Oregon runs an option offense. Seems to be working ok, to the tune of 50 points per game.

Oregon does not run a traditional option offense. They run the same offense we run now, the zone read.

:facepalm: The zone read is an option play, and Oregon's is an option offense. Just because it's out of the shotgun and looks different than Nebraska's mid-90's offense doesn't mean that it's not an option offense. It is.

• Fire 2

Bring back the complete lack of regard for recruiting? No thanks. Frank is a good guy and we have a lot to thank him for. You can say that about a lot of other guys, too, and none of them deserve to occupy one of the precious few spots we have on our staff.

Sad though, since Solich would probably get endlessly more rope here no matter any struggles, just because of his past as a Nebraska guy, than anyone outside.

Ok damn cant argue with that but can I ask a question?? He has been a HC else where and he has produced a good team year in, year out for the location and with what he has had to work with, so cant you believe maybe he can recruit a little better???

Yeah, he's been head coach at Ohio.......now I am not familiar at all with his work there, but if he is showing something as a recruiter now it would be very surprising to me. I'll believe it when I see it, especially when the problem back then was, I believe, an attitude. Disdaining to recruit basically until the season was over. I respect that, because I don't like the recruiting game too much in principle, and I respect focusing on your team and your guys. But that is just no way to go anymore.

Why do you even believe that, other than his name is Frank Solich? With almost any coaching hire, I would say take the guy's name out and replace it with something completely random. If he is still a good candidate...then you can consider.

Ok but your looking it as he will be the HC, he wont be and its like someone said above its not his team and he will only recruit the guys Bo wants... Also I do see the point of other post as what if he doesnt work out an TO or BO have to fire him which makes it harder,,,

Bring back the complete lack of regard for recruiting? No thanks. Frank is a good guy and we have a lot to thank him for. You can say that about a lot of other guys, too, and none of them deserve to occupy one of the precious few spots we have on our staff.

Sad though, since Solich would probably get endlessly more rope here no matter any struggles, just because of his past as a Nebraska guy, than anyone outside.

1. If Solich was an offensive coordinator, he'd have as much input into recruiting as Watson does. They're going to go after the players that BO wants.

2. Back when he was here, I remember a rumor that went around about he Solich wanted to recruit Danny Woodhead, and how Nebraska fans generally thought that was a terrible idea, and an example of Solich settling for in state talent rather than looking abroad. Nebraska fans were either wrong about Solich wanting to recruit Woodhead, or they were wrong about Woodhead. Either way, the fans look stupid.

3. Yeah, Solich would clearly "get more rope here no matter any struggles, just because of his past as a Nebraska guy, than anyone outside." Because that's exactly what happened last time, when he was fired after going 9-3. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Watson actually has quite a bit with QBs as QB coach. Or I should say, he *should* have quite a bit. Not just in terms of identifying talent, but attracting it here. I don't think he is regarded as a bad recruiter either, and he was recruiting coordinator here when he was first brought in. Additionally, it is all an attitude thing. All the coaches recruit and it's even been said before that not all pull their weight. Really don't need another addition on the staff that would be disinterested in recruiting, particularly the leader on the offense. If the OC is going to let the other guys identify and go after players in season without paying much attention to it, that is pretty much a recipe for disaster.

I don't know about #2. I thought that Solich passed him over. It wasn't like he did recruit Danny and offer him, or Danny would have been here. He certainly didn't want to recruit Woodhead but got stopped by fan pressure. In any case, I think it's a moot point. What about that UNO TE now in the NFL, for example? There are going to be SOME quality players, even some star players maybe, that emerge from lower level schools. The 'snubbed' angle is used a bit strong IMO too often because if those guys don't emerge, other guys will. And maybe they would have been poor fits/swallowed up/gotten limited playing time at big schools, and as a result not gotten the next level chances they deserve. Even in the smaller ponds there will always be the biggest fish. The premise seems to be if Nebraska never messed up with in-state talent, that UNO/Chadron State/wherever would never turn out a quality or famous athlete. NU gets a huge majority of them, but doesn't hold complete monopoly and never will.

I will concede #3.

Ok but your looking it as he will be the HC, he wont be and its like someone said above its not his team and he will only recruit the guys Bo wants... Also I do see the point of other post as what if he doesnt work out an TO or BO have to fire him which makes it harder,,,

Shouldn't the whole staff, as well as the OC, be evaluating guys on tape to decide what guys to target? I've no doubt that if need be, someone would pick up the slack for a coach that neglected those duties, but you make it sound like it's an okay situation. I guess I see it as more of a problem.

I don't know about Norm. Maybe he can't go out there and nab prospects, but I don't know if he has a reputation of just not wanting to recruit.

Ok you have Solich that if it wasent for him we prolly wouldnt have Bo as our head coach, an Bo wouldnt have had his past jobs (you know the jobs) he wouldnt be on anyones radar... Solich gave him a shot and our school with TO gave him the shot to be a head coach when no one else would.. That has to mean something to him and with Solichs ties to TO and the fact BO could have a chance to return the favor, how can that go wrong??? Bring back the option we all want to see, bring back a offense that can an will win titles... Look down the long road here, BO isnt a NEB boy and like some have said he prolly wont be here in 10yrs if even that... If its true we have Frank no matter what to fall back on if he is on our team an that makes me feel alot better.. We need to accept times have changed an the days of loyalty are gone....

I in no way shape or form want to see the option offense. It won't work anymore, defenses are too fast. And don't tell me about Georgia Tech, they lost to Kansas.

Oregon runs an option offense. Seems to be working ok, to the tune of 50 points per game.

Oregon does not run a traditional option offense. They run the same offense we run now, the zone read.

:facepalm: The zone read is an option play, and Oregon's is an option offense. Just because it's out of the shotgun and looks different than Nebraska's mid-90's offense doesn't mean that it's not an option offense. It is.

Ok well I'm talking about the traditional option offense. The triple option if you will. What Nebraska use to run, what Georgia Tech and I beleive Air Force run. I never said the zone read was not an option play, but its not the traditional option offense like the OP suggested everyone wants to see. But thanks for the face palm.

I don't know about #2. I thought that Solich passed him over. It wasn't like he did recruit Danny and offer him, or Danny would have been here. He certainly didn't want to recruit Woodhead but got stopped by fan pressure. In any case, I think it's a moot point. What about that UNO TE now in the NFL, for example? There are going to be SOME quality players, even some star players maybe, that emerge from lower level schools. The 'snubbed' angle is used a bit strong IMO too often because if those guys don't emerge, other guys will. And maybe they would have been poor fits/swallowed up/gotten limited playing time at big schools, and as a result not gotten the next level chances they deserve. Even in the smaller ponds there will always be the biggest fish. The premise seems to be if Nebraska never messed up with in-state talent, that UNO/Chadron State/wherever would never turn out a quality or famous athlete. NU gets a huge majority of them, but doesn't hold complete monopoly and never will.

Damn thats spot on!!! 100% AGREE!!!

Ok well I'm talking about the traditional option offense. The triple option if you will. What Nebraska use to run, what Georgia Tech and I beleive Air Force run. I never said the zone read was not an option play, but its not the traditional option offense like the OP suggested everyone wants to see. But thanks for the face palm.

I'd actually like to see some triple option out of the zone read, where the QB has 2 running backs, one to each side. He can hand off to the first guy based on his read, or he can keep it and run a lateral option with the other guy. Add in a pass option, and you've got an offense that would be modern, out of the shotgun spread, but would be similar in design to Osborne's mid-90's system out of the I.

Now if only we had someone that could teach the QB how to manage all that. Time to start a Turner Gill for QB's coach rumor thread...

Shouldn't the whole staff, as well as the OC, be evaluating guys on tape to decide what guys to target? I've no doubt that if need be, someone would pick up the slack for a coach that neglected those duties, but you make it sound like it's an okay situation. I guess I see it as more of a problem.

I don't know about Norm. Maybe he can't go out there and nab prospects, but I don't know if he has a reputation of just not wanting to recruit.

I'm not sure why Solich as a bad rep as a recruiter. I think we had gotten kind of big and slow at the beginning of the 2000's, but that was abruptly changing as he shook up his staff. And in all honesty, I think the type of offense he was moving to with Cotton as coordinator was a zone read based offense similar to what we were looking for today, with smaller, more fleet players like we're recruiting now. That's why Joe Dailey was considered the future, and then the West Coast Offense happened...

As far as identifying talent, I think Solich was solid, and he had some big prospects that he just missed out on. Carl Crawford is the main one that comes to mind...

Hercules, TBH I am not sure either as I did not follow closely back then and would not have that impression but for hearing things later. Like he does not like to recruit during the season. I don't doubt he can identify some talent, but if he isn't really get down to doing that and go after people until January, it's different. Then again, as an OC he may accept a different role, but I don't know how it works currently. Supposedly there was some real slacking going on last summer before we got back on track. But it seems to be the kind of thing that will be up to individual coaches a lot to pick up their own weight at least, and each one that is a liability there hurts us. Cotton has already been said to be a guy that doesn't really recruit much.

I think the last addition in 2007, to our staff, Tim Beck, has sort of emerged as someone we lean on in the sense that it's hard to imagine our recruiting without him. Especially in Texas. Scary thought. If we can get either an established guy or an up and comer who can run any kind of offense (but realistically, some spread option) and is flexible and sharp and a good recruiter on top of that...well, I'm just not sure it's too much to ask for out of an addition to the staff that is supposed to be an upgrade.

JTrain, thanks for the laugh :)

Hercules, TBH I am not sure either as I did not follow closely back then and would not have that impression but for hearing things later. Like he does not like to recruit during the season. I don't doubt he can identify some talent, but if he isn't really get down to doing that and go after people until January, it's different. Then again, as an OC he may accept a different role, but I don't know how it works currently. Supposedly there was some real slacking going on last summer before we got back on track. But it seems to be the kind of thing that will be up to individual coaches a lot to pick up their own weight at least, and each one that is a liability there hurts us. Cotton has already been said to be a guy that doesn't really recruit much.

I think the last addition in 2007, to our staff, Tim Beck, has sort of emerged as someone we lean on in the sense that it's hard to imagine our recruiting without him. Especially in Texas. Scary thought. If we can get either an established guy or an up and comer who can run any kind of offense (but realistically, some spread option) and is flexible and sharp and a good recruiter on top of that...well, I'm just not sure it's too much to ask for out of an addition to the staff that is supposed to be an upgrade.

JTrain, thanks for the laugh :)

I don't really think that Solich would be considered a liability. The assistant coaches are going to recruit as much as they're supposed to within Bo's program. If they don't, they're gonna get an earful from Bo like Martinez got at A&M, and they're not going to be around for long. I think it's about as easy to imagine Bo letting his assistant coaches slack off on their duties as it is to imagine Bo watching a defensive tackle half-ass his way through a practice without Bo getting in his face about it.

Anyways, Solich wouldn't have a choice about when he starts recruiting, that'd be up to Bo.

In terms of this past summer, I don't really know why people say that coaches were slacking. It seems that they've put together a pretty well-respected recruiting class, and that they're ahead of schedule right now. I doubt they were slacking at any point along the way.

Also, criticizing a coach's recruiting is about 1000 times harder for me than criticizing their playcalling or something like that. At least you get to watch the game. Until somebody sets up a live stream from some high school kid's living room and they watch one of our assistant coaches stumble all over themselves trying to make a pitch, I don't really know how you discuss a coach's ability to recruit.

The only half-legit way would be to look at a coach's results, where he's the primary recruiter and he pulls or doesn't pull a guy in. Sometimes though, it doesn't matter how great of a pitch you make, it's just not the right fit. Bo Pelini went and sat in Owa's living room last year and made a pitch, and then Owa went to UCLA. That doesn't mean Bo is a bad recruiter, the pieces just didn't fall together that time.

I don't even know how hardcore of a recruiter Bo is. It's been said that he is a good recruiter, but is he one that will devote a lot of resources to it? Of course, that is just one thing of many important ones to consider. Bill Callahan ran a very smooth recruiting operation supposedly, but when he got down to being head coach...all told, I'll take the better coach over the better recruiter. But it's part of Bo's (maybe) attitude towards recruiting that may be why that 'they're going to get an earful from Bo' may not necessarily have been true to date. Again, I don't really know about this but am trying to read between the lines somewhat. If Bo is going to crack the whip on recruiting that's one thing, but if it's something he just doesn't focus on as much you never know. He is certainly free to choose where to crack the whip the most.

For the summer thing, I think it was last summer, not this past one. A lot of complaints/smoke went up but none very specific that I can recall. Other than the story about taking a vacation and coming back to find a bunch of prospects off the table, though the staff downplayed that.

I think it's fair to not criticize recruiting because it's not something I would be able to do from just looking at results. As far as my opinions on this staff and recruiting, it is based more on reputation/stuff you hear...which is sort of taboo to be discussed, as well as believe/don't believe, potentially wish washy stuff, so I won't go in any detail on that unless it's been thrown around at all. Though, I don't criticize playcalling from just looking either since I am not in any way knowledgeable about playcalling, other than 'call the one that works' :P