Playoffs

Mosskid84

I don't know why everyone always wants to point to basketball as a comparison. They might as well say college volleyball as well. Those sports play a lot more games. Those teams usually play the same opponent more than once. They play several games a week in some cases. In some instances, the team that wins in those sports is the team that had the most rest between games. I don't think anyone wanting a playoff is advocating playing anymore than one game per week. Claiming people remember college football games over college basketball games should be common sense. College football teams play 12-14 games per year while college basketball teams play roughly 40 games. I remember pro football games a lot more than I do pro basketball for the same reason.

I agree with this.

They're two entirely different sports that don't match up well for several reasons:

1) There are over 340 division one basketball schools in the nation. Roughly 120 division one football programs exist.

2) Basketball teams, as you mentioned, play over twice as many games as football teams do. The biggest reason for this is because football requires more rest and recuperation than any other popular sport in the U.S.

3) Roughly 20 percent of college basketball schools make it into the tournament. Conversely, there will NEVER be 20 percent of football schools that play in a playoff. Why? Because 20 percent of football schools would mean 24 teams make the playoffs. That is far too many teams for an honest playoff system in college football.

If anything, we should be comparing the NFL playoff system to a college system. The NFL system is solid and successful.