What do you want? Watson OUT or IN?

ESPY

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So far the numbers speak volumes about what we HBers want. As of 1:45, 28 want Watson OUT, and only 6 want him IN. This is pretty much what I expected 'cause that's the jive I've been sensing. Obviously only 34 people have voted and that's a pretty small sample size. Let's see if we can't get even more.

Mangino for OC? One Kansas writer thinks it'd be a good fit...

Unless you're that Kansas writer, I don't care. You're the fan here. So, what is it you want to see happen?

*clears throats* excuse me for hijacking your thread, I just didn't want to start another irrelevant Watson topic.

Keep Watson, possibly look at replacing Gilmore and/or recruit better WRs.

No worries. I came across a bit stronger than I meant to. It's just that the Mangino angle has been mentioned in at least two other Watson threads that I can think of. I'd understand if you don't want Watson because you do want Mangino, but it looks like that's not the case based on your vote. Either way, sorry for the harshness of my response there.

:cheers

I want Wats gone, Coach Beck has the capability of giving this offense a spark with his knowledge of the game. He was the passing game coordinator at KU when they went to the Orange Bowl, and that offense was pretty good.

That was Mangino's offense, kind of like Oregon is Chip Kelly's and not Scott Frost's. Really it isn't knowledge of the game anyone is looking for in an OC either, because Watson is pretty high up there in that department. I guess all anyone is looking for is a change and maybe a simpler passing game - but mostly change for change's sake, in my opinion.

There's little doubt in my mind that Watson wants and will get out of here. And Bo is probably alright with that, though I'm sure he likes and respects Watson's coaching abilities a lot. Just a difference/disconnect in philosophy, and the guy with the higher pay grade gets to pull rank in this situation, every time.

I changed my tune after the ccg. I felt that wats could have put Martinez in a position to succeed ..... or at least not fail so badly ....... there at the end. I went from "the coaches know more than I do" camp to believing it's time for him to move on.

Edit: stupid android spell check.

The only thing that could have put Martinez in a position to succeed, is to have taken the ball completely out of his hands.

IOW, may as well have not had him in there. That's my gripe about the CCG. Taylor was completely out of the game but we still stuck him out there.

I voted for the last one even though its the most unlikely scenario. I think Wats brings much good in terms of game planning and preparation, but his game mgmt and backup QB development is questionable. Since the last option is unrealistic, I'd ultimately prefer one that can do well managing all aspects of the offense.

I don't think it's unrealistic. But, perhaps I should add another choice, something like: "IN, remains OC but gets different staff (replace Gilmore, Cotton, etc.)".

I say unrealistic because giving someone else a co-OC designation is essentially a demotion for Watson. Thats why I cant see Bo allowing someone else to manage the parts of the offense where Watson has seemingly been deficient.

If we had a competent OC we would be playing in a BCS bowl this year. Probably only end up with 1 loss or none probably.

Unless Watson was the one dropping passes in the Texas game, then yeah that one was on him to. Maybe some bad play calling in the other two loses, some injuries also didn't help, but the O-Line didn't help much late in the Okl game either. I thought Watson called a very bad fourth quarter in the Okl game. This years team should have been 12-1 going into a bowl game in Ariz.

Watson needs a healthy Martinez and a backup in case Martinez gos down again. An O-Line that I keep hearing is loaded with talent, to step up. There are two, maybe even three highly rated qb's on the way. One of them should be able to add the depth Watson needs. That is not going to be Cody, good kid, good attitude but not the qb he was hyped up to be. Watson's fault, maybe ?

OK, now lets beat Wash again and get that 11 win.

GBR!!!

I want Wats gone, Coach Beck has the capability of giving this offense a spark with his knowledge of the game. He was the passing game coordinator at KU when they went to the Orange Bowl, and that offense was pretty good.

That was Mangino's offense, kind of like Oregon is Chip Kelly's and not Scott Frost's. Really it isn't knowledge of the game anyone is looking for in an OC either, because Watson is pretty high up there in that department. I guess all anyone is looking for is a change and maybe a simpler passing game - but mostly change for change's sake, in my opinion.

There's little doubt in my mind that Watson wants and will get out of here. And Bo is probably alright with that, though I'm sure he likes and respects Watson's coaching abilities a lot. Just a difference/disconnect in philosophy, and the guy with the higher pay grade gets to pull rank in this situation, every time.

I changed my tune after the ccg. I felt that wats could have put Martinez in a position to succeed ..... or at least not fail so badly ....... there at the end. I went from "the coaches know more than I do" camp to believing it's time for him to move on.

Edit: stupid android spell check.

The only thing that could have put Martinez in a position to succeed, is to have taken the ball completely out of his hands.

IOW, may as well have not had him in there. That's my gripe about the CCG. Taylor was completely out of the game but we still stuck him out there.

Sorry, just getting back to this. I felt that dropping Taylor back when we were in field goal range, and he's not been making good decisions, was stupid. Either you take it out of his hands as you said, or have some type of designed run. The sack took us out of fg range. Sure you want the first down, but pick a play where failure is not so costly.