Team Leader

holvy83

Saw this mentioned in another thread...

Was there ever a team leader this year? What about next year? Who would step up to take that role? I am going to exclude Qb's from that, if they continue the carousel at that position then no one will be able to lead. Is Burkead the guy? Crick? When adversity hits, you got to have someone step up and take charge and lead this team. Suh was that guy last year, and was missed this year. I can't say that I saw one husker the last couple games step up and fire up guys and make plays when they were down.

On the defense I really wish Crick would step up. I am concerned that is not in him. I could see Compton stepping up and taking over the defense. He impressed me last night, about my only good take away.

On the offense, I am struggling to think of someone. Caputo? He has to for the line to improve. Burkhead for sure but his he willing to risk pissing someone off? I could actually see Ben Cotton taking on a leadership roll.

I think Cody will be our starting QB next year. He is not the most athletically talented kid, but he has a strong work ethic, is humble, and loves the team. I believe him and Rex---both juniors---will be the leaders on offense. Cody is the perfect game-managing QB and looks poised and tall in the pocket. Martinez looks scared and small. He seems to compliment Rex's style more than Martinez.

On D, I see plenty of potential leaders: David, Dennard, Compton. The D will be fine. And with Rex and Green in the backfield, so will the O.

I think Cody will be our starting QB next year. He is not the most athletically talented kid, but he has a strong work ethic, is humble, and loves the team. I believe him and Rex---both juniors---will be the leaders on offense. Cody is the perfect game-managing QB and looks poised and tall in the pocket. Martinez looks scared and small. He seems to compliment Rex's style more than Martinez.

On D, I see plenty of potential leaders: David, Dennard, Compton. The D will be fine. And with Rex and Green in the backfield, so will the O.

Not with Watson calling plays......

Future Leader ...Jamal Turner ...if you have ever heard the guy talk..hes a natural born leader...hope the FB talent carries over to college

Im with you on this! Everytime I've heard him speak makes me think leader. I hope he can come in spring and learn our hopefully NEW offense and really make a push for the starting job.

Or I hope Brion Carnes is good enough to play and has a vocal leadership quality. But I haven't heard much about him. The spring game should be interesting.

I just don't think our starting QB for the future played this year!!!

People really see what they want to see, when they want to see it. Taylor's cool, calm, collected, and a quiet leader by example, for example....

Zoogies, this is a helluva zinger from a guy who's had some zingers before. What exactly is the example that Taylor is setting? How to fold under pressure? How to run carelessly with the ball? (This I will actually accept as it does seem to have rubbed off on everyone, including Rex.) How to do bizarre shovel passes that are either (1) to no one at all, or (2) beyond the line of scrimmage, or (3) both.

I do not see Taylor Martinez developing into the leader of this team unless he moves to a different position. I noticed last night after his TD pass Reed hardly acknowledged him during his celebration. I will not bag 19-20 yr old that has to figure out how to balance all of the things he is dealing with right now. But it just does not seem like he is tied in to the rest of the team. Makes sense, him starting was probably a shock to the players also. I think Bo makes a big mistake with his "secrets" about who is playing. Hard to get leaders when who is playing on Saturday is a ?

People really see what they want to see, when they want to see it. Taylor's cool, calm, collected, and a quiet leader by example, for example....

Zoogies, this is a helluva zinger from a guy who's had some zingers before. What exactly is the example that Taylor is setting? How to fold under pressure? How to run carelessly with the ball? (This I will actually accept as it does seem to have rubbed off on everyone, including Rex.) How to do bizarre shovel passes that are either (1) to no one at all, or (2) beyond the line of scrimmage, or (3) both.

I didn't put enough dots there obviously........ :P I do not believe that about Taylor for an instant; much the exact opposite and even more extreme.

I was trying to forget those plays. I suspect that was a wrinkle added to impress the fans. To show how creative they could be with time to prepare. Those plays showed early the staff and team did not take this game serious.